Casita or Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi All, we are trying to decide which egg to buy? been looking at Casita 16/17 and the Scamp 16. I've done my usual over analysis of features and costs... but beyond the cut sheets what, if any, are the benefits of one over the other. I would appreciate your knowledge and expereinces.

Many thanks
murrayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
You will find that both Scamp and Casita owners have had excellent experiences with their chosen brand. They both give great after market service.

My suggestion would be to call each company and visit owners in your local area. That way you will be able to see first hand the “Look & Feel” of each brand.

That is what we did and how we made our choice. The real thing is much different then the brochure photos.

PS: Also take a look at Escape ( a very well made trailer) and Trillium (made in both Canada & the US)

Good luck and keep us posted what you decide.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
After your analysis of costs and equipment, it's really a matter of look, feel, and preference. Both the Scamp and Casita are quality trailers. Although I've yet to see an Escape in person, owners rave about them as well, and the manufacturing owner is a member here.

The only things that are unique to the manufacturer are the frame and shell. The axles are produced by Dexter or Alko. The refrigerators are Norcold or Dometic, as are the A/C units. All of the stuff they're built with is off the shelf and available from any RV dealer.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My husband and I just acquired our first fiberglass RV. We looked at Scamp, Casita, Bigfoot and a number of other small lightweight trailers. We analyzed the features and tradeoffs and had a preliminary idea about which one we would be buying.

Before buying, however, we arranged to see the trailers in person by attending a local "egg rally". Seeing the trailers in person made all the difference in the world. The inside space has a certain feel to it and no amount of brochure browsing will convey that information to you. In the end we selected a different trailer than the one we would have chosen if we had only looked at brochures.

So go to an egg rally! Or call Scamp and Casita and ask for referrals to local owners! Now that you've done the initial research, you're ready to find out which one feels right for you.

Best wishes and happy hunting!
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
What are you towing with? the 2 16'ers tow real well with most anything but the tongue weight on the 17' changes the playing field a bit
Old 01-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Talking

We ordered our Scamp 16 with front bath and side dinnette before we knew about Casita or any of the others mentioned in previous replys. We are very satisfied with it. We were able to look several of them at the factory in MN the summer it was to be made. They are soundly made. What I like about the Scamp over Casita (I have yet been in side of one) is the added insulation of the Scamp, the lighter weight of the Scamp, more head room and larger frig in the 16' and the shower pump to drain it into the holding tank of the Scamp instead of a severate value to open then close each time you shower in the Casita. What would be nice in a Casita, the larger 17' and the fiberglass bottom and the larger sized fresh water and larger holding tanks and a 3 way power to the frig. Casita would have been closer for us to go to pick it up. Scamp is a little more retro in looks. Casita has more verity of floor plans but Scamp will also build one as you would like in the Custom (more wood work, but we wanted less wood work). Scamp makes a 19' 5th wheel as well.

Trillium is building some in California. see: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=22291

It would be good to get to see them in person if at all possible. Good luck, I believe anyone of many would be good to own.

AW

As someone earlier suggested, the tongue weight varies and we were wanting to tow it with the Ranger we had already.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_and_Ranger_tower.jpg  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Lander (401)
Registry
ciao all

you are many lucky people to having one chosen of fabriche of caravan in fiberglass plastic in USA
in Italy there is only one factory that produce only one caravan in fiberglass currently
It is the Pioneer... but it does not have the quality of construction like Casita, Scamp or bigfoot.

this is the plotter's model and it is not to egg shape
Attached Thumbnails
esternosx_2.gif   esternodx_2.gif  

interni_2.gif   cucina_2.gif  

bagno2_2.gif  
robirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Hi All, we are trying to decide which egg to buy? been looking at Casita 16/17 and the Scamp 16. I've done my usual over analysis of features and costs... but beyond the cut sheets what, if any, are the benefits of one over the other. I would appreciate your knowledge and expereinces.

Many thanks
Hi Murray: I may be a little biased but my wife and I put 30,000 miles on an Escape 17' and can only say we have had a great time in a tough little egg. We sold it in August only because Escape is now making a 5th wheel and we pick up #1 next week.

Whatever egg you buy you will always dare to be cozy and you will share the road with many like minded people.

Happy Trails Ian W.
Ian Waymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
That Pioneer may not be egg-shaped, but it has a variation of a classic layout: rear-door, like a Compact, but with a side dinette.

Thanks, Rob. It's an interesting trailer, and not exactly like anything else I've seen. I'm sure it works well, but it doesn't look as good as a Lander.

Hey, we even get a pictorial lesson in Italian, from the file names:
bagno = bathroom
cucina = kitchen
esterno = outside
interni = inside
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
That Pioneer may not be egg-shaped, but it has a variation of a classic layout: rear-door, like a Compact, but with a side dinette.

Thanks, Rob. It's an interesting trailer, and not exactly like anything else I've seen. I'm sure it works well, but it doesn't look as good as a Lander.

Hey, we even get a pictorial lesson in Italian, from the file names:
bagno = bathroom
cucina = kitchen
esterno = outside
interni = inside
Dear Brian, you have made a perfect pictorial lesson in Italian... the names it's very good

towball = gancio traino
stabiliser = stabilizzatore
chassis = telaio
braking system = sistema frenante
Old 01-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Well, that's an advantage of shopping in the same country: no translation required. Although Canada has two official languages (English and French), almost all of us speak English (and most of us don't speak French). There was an RV manufacturer in Quebec, where they generally speak French; that was Bonair, who made mostly stick-built trailers and tent trailers, but they also made the short-lived moulded-fiberglass Oxygen. The rest of the Canadian trailer makers (Boler, Trillium, Bigfoot, Escape) are in English-speaking areas.

So, as Mike and Ian have suggested, the Escape 17' (from British Columbia, Canda) is worth looking at (and wouldn't need translation!). I assume that with only the 16' and 17' models from Scamp and Casita under consideration, none of the current Trillium models would be suitable (although perhaps the California Trillium 4500 model might be big enough), and the Bigfoot 17.5 would be too heavy.

While all of the trailers in this size and weight range are constructed similarly, there seems to a difference in the way the top and bottom shells are joined at the "belly" seam, and the door opening is reinforced. Older Bolers can have problems with leakage at this seam, and tend to bulge out at the middle, so it might be a construction detail worth examining. Reace provided a description of the Escape method and I posted it in the Escape Trailer topic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #12

Registry
"Escape Trailer topic" is very interesting... thank's Brian, thank you very much
Old 01-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
robirob, I like the bath idea with the fold up sink, the little corner one in the casita is a pain.

I believe if I ever buy new I'd take a real close look at Reaces trailers, we saw them at the Oregon Gathering last summer and I was really impressed with the workmanship in them.

Brian, excellent job on the pics.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't think it's even possible to tell you which one is best, that's a subjective statement on ones needs, finances, etc. even location... do you want to pick it up, or have it shipped..that kind of thing.

The thing to do is make a list of necessary items you want/need. Then compare the brands against that list. Things like: how many people need beds, what size refrigerator. Do you need windows front and back, can you deal with a smaller bathroom, etc. etc. Although the two mentioned brands are comparible in cost, perhaps the "options" that you need will influence the buying decision. I know Casita mounts the Dometic Case Awning and Scamp does not...that one thing could be an influencer.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Hi Murray,

Lynne and I started looking at FG trailers early last fall. We scoured the Web, looked at every floor plan, asked many questions, and had some rough idea that a 16' or 17' Casita or perhaps a Scamp 5th wheel deluxe would be just the ticket. Just to make sure, we borrowed my brother-in-law's "stickie" camper trailer and went the the Northern Oregon Gathering last fall so we could see some of the trailers "In the Flesh." Er, "Fiberglass."

After sticking our noses into many different trailers (Casitas and Scamps in many different sizes and configurations and an Escape, many with modifications and updates -- people were very happy to show off their trailers when asked nicely), we decided on the Standard layout 5th wheel, something we weren't even considering beforehand.

What we learned is that the only way to know whatwill work best for you is to stand in it, lay down in it, move around in it, and see how other people have updated and changed their trailers to accomodate their style of camping/venturing.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
robirob, I like the bath idea with the fold up sink, the little corner one in the casita is a pain.

I believe if I ever buy new I'd take a real close look at Reaces trailers, we saw them at the Oregon Gathering last summer and I was really impressed with the workmanship in them.

Brian, excellent job on the pics.

Hi Bill,
In the europe there are many caravans with this solution's bath...

Click image for larger version

Name:	bagno_2.gif
Views:	79
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	5927

these solutions take advantage of the small spaces perfectly and work perfectly in the roulotte of small measure

I do not have this type of bath, but because mine caravan is not then much small.

Click image for larger version

Name:	L06.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	5928
Old 01-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
we are trying to decide which egg to buy
Gosh are you lucky! There are at least two rallies in Oregon within the next 6 months that you could attend and get to see many different trailers in person. Here are the links.

Northern OR Gathering - April 27- 29

2007 Oregon Gathering - July 19 - 22

Come join us!
Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:

Many thanks
I love them both. When my wife and I were searching for a fiberglass rv to purchase we considered both the Scamp and Casita. Finally, we chose the Casita based on the extra foot of space in the trailer. That was it. They're both excellent trailers and we know we'd have been very happy with a Scamp. It's a wonderful trailer and we've even considered locating a Scamp 5th wheel model someday.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either company.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp