Casita Prices - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #1

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Casita Prices

I am trying to make a decision on buying a new Casita vs. a pre owned unit. To do so, I would like to know the selling price of the 17' Spirit fully loaded in 2010, so I can ascertain the depreciation over six years. Can someone give me this info? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!
Sherri
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I have no actual figures for you, but since prices for new seem to be going up quicker than these trailers depreciate (beyond the initial hit of new vs used). I would not be at all surprised if the trailer is today valued at greater than or equal to the new purchase price six years ago, at least if it is still in very good condition, which it should be if it was maintained.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Can't tell you about 2010 Casitas, but back when we were shopping, a forum member kindly gave us a tour of her 2000 Scamp 16, and showed us the original invoice: $14,400. Assuming nominal 2% inflation for 16 years, about +32%, would make it $19k in today's dollars. Looking at Scamp Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale it appears that Scamp 16s of that vintage are currently going for $8-11k, so say $10k, or maybe 53% of original value. That's average depreciation of only 3% a year, which is pretty amazing when you think of it.

Depreciation is probably not straight-line, i.e. will be higher the first few years, but not nearly as bad as a car (used to be said you'd lose 10% just driving it off the lot). The point is that, in this market, MFG trailers hold their value remarkably well, much better than the stickbuilt RVs. Obviously circumstances can change: we could go into another Great Recession, or some Henry Ford will figure out how to crank out thousands of MFG campers for half of what they currently cost and flood the market.

It's always a gamble, but my guess is that a new Casita is going to hold its value very well over the next few years.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Fiberglass "eggs" tend to retain their value very well. After several years you almost can't even give away a stick-built trailer, whereas most fiberglass ones command top dollar even when they are several years old. I can sell mine, (and no, it's not for sale,) for as much as I paid for it in 2008 and it probably would be gone in less than 2 days. They are in demand and are sought after by many people. A fiberglass egg in good shape is worth its weight in gold these days. Don't expect any kind of big price bargain on one if you want to buy used. They can be found, but they won't be cheap.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Thanks!

I appreciate your thoughts on new Casitas and pre owned! I have looked at several pre owned in very good shape and agree they depreciate minimally compared to my brother's 4 year old RV that will sell for half the purchase price....IF they are able to sell it. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita Prices

New versus used… tough decision.

The price of a really clean, late model used unit can be darn near new, however… (1) you don't have to go to Texas to get it, (2) you don't have to wait months for delivery, (3) any brand-new bugs have been resolved, (4) you get to inspect the exact unit you're getting before you plunk down your hard-earned cash, and (5) many have valuable upgrades. In some states there are tax advantages as well.

On the other hand, (1) you don't get that brand-new feel and smell, (2) you don't get to pick colors and options, (3) you don't get a warranty.

IMO, the "new" smell is probably toxic, there are only 2 color choices, most option lists tend to be similar, and warranties aren't that long.

I know that isn't the question you asked. Seems to me it really doesn't matter what a 20XX sold for new. What matters is whether the price is fair for the used 20XX you're looking at now (classified archives help with that), whether everything really works, whether it is the right size and layout for you, and whether it fits your budget.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Name: Gabriele
Trailer: 2010 Scamp with side bench, towing with 2010 6 cyl Ford Escape
California
2010 16 ft Scamp for sale

Need help setting a fair price.
It's model number 6 with fiberglass cabinets inside. Hate to sell, but going to be full time RV'ers for a while..
Someone help me out.
PleinAirGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirGal View Post
Need help setting a fair price.
It's model number 6 with fiberglass cabinets inside. Hate to sell, but going to be full time RV'ers for a while..
Someone help me out.
A fair price is what the market will bear. Just stick a price on it that's acceptable to you and list that as a FIRM price and stand your ground. If it doesn't sell then reduce the price a bit. Mine sold in 22 hours after listing for full asking price; I might have done a few hundred dollars better by going through the "or best offer" route, but life is too short for that hassle.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

Name: Wally
Trailer: Casita
Texas
From what I've seen people getting for used Casitas you might as well purchase a new one and know what you're getting. Many used Casitas listed I've seen in the 2010 model are on the average 5 to 8 thousand less than a new one. Spend a little more and get one with a warranty. Just my opinion. Don't treat it any different than you would buying a use car. Have it thoroughly checked out.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Used?

So Craven, let's say you are considering a new 17' SD and you live in New Jersey. Then you see an add for a 2011 SD just across the river(Delaware) in Pennsylvania. The used Casita is $15,000. It has mounted and portable solar, new tires, shock absorbers, fast grey, Am/Fm CD player, awning, furnace, a weight distributing Anderson hitch, a storage box on the tongue and basically, "the works". You travel the 80 miles to see it. EVERYTHING is running and working and it shines. But....you think it's best to drive 2000 miles to Texas and pay $20,000 to get a warranty????
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Oregon
The manufacturers warranty their fiberglass and work - that's it. All the appliances, axles, hitches, regulator, etc are still warrantied by the manufacturers of those parts, not by the trailer manufacturer.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #12

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
I do my research on pre-owned vehicle and FGRV's. I've never bought new. Let the original owner get the fast depreciation and the next owner gets the savings. IMHO, used is much more economical. Do your research and save the big $$$$.

But keep in mind most FGRV's hold their value and do not depreciate anywhere near a stick built. We could sell our pre-owned Casita for almost what we paid for it 3 years ago, with over additonal 20,000 miles on it .It isn't how old it is, it is how well maintained it is.

Back to your question....we purchased our 2013 (not a 2010) 2 years ago, FULLY loaded with lots of owner mods for $16500. We found it 2 hours after it went on the RV forum and purchased it. We drove over 1400 miles to even look at it. Find what you are looking for and go for it. We have enjoyed every minute of it!!!

Hope it all works out for you!
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #13

Name: Wally
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
So Craven, let's say you are considering a new 17' SD and you live in New Jersey. Then you see an add for a 2011 SD just across the river(Delaware) in Pennsylvania. The used Casita is $15,000. It has mounted and portable solar, new tires, shock absorbers, fast grey, Am/Fm CD player, awning, furnace, a weight distributing Anderson hitch, a storage box on the tongue and basically, "the works". You travel the 80 miles to see it. EVERYTHING is running and working and it shines. But....you think it's best to drive 2000 miles to Texas and pay $20,000 to get a warranty????
Yup! It's more than just the warranty actually. What fun would it be having a trailer that all the mods have already been done. I wouldn't consider mods. into the price of the Casita anyway. You think the insurance company is going to pay you for the mods you did when you total your trailer. Just because they have value to you doesn't mean they do to me. I love how folks come up with these hypotheticals. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Look back and you'll read where I said, that's my opinion. I only buy new. Especially when investing that much money. That's just me. You want to buy used go for it.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not all owner mods are improvements.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not all owner mods are improvements.
So true. But a surprising number of new Casitas go straight from the factory to Little House Customs. They do some nice functional upgrades that definitely add value.

Craven is right: to each his/her own.

Used is my preference. I'm grateful others feel differently- keeps the factories busy churning out new ones. One of them may be my next trailer some day.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #16

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The manufacturers warranty their fiberglass and work - that's it. All the appliances, axles, hitches, regulator, etc are still warrantied by the manufacturers of those parts, not by the trailer manufacturer.
Well, maybe that's the case with your manufacturer...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Are you saying that Oliver builds their own fridges, stoves, furnaces, axles, etc.? No?
It makes no sense for Oliver to offer a duplicate warranty. If that were true, you would have to take the trailer back to Oliver for repair, rather than to ( for instance ) a Dometic authorized service centre, which are everywhere. They would also be wasting money offering warranty on something they didn't build, that is already covered by the manufacturer.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
That was EXACTLY the case when I purchased my 2006 Casita 17 Liberty Deluxe. I actually read my warranty. Engineers do that. I even read every single manual for all the applicances. Ditto on my 2014 Escape. When Dometic decided to replace all the RML series fridges Escape had installed with the RMD series, Escape coordinated the replacements, but Dometic paid the bill for the R&R.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #19

Since I like to make sure I know what I am talking about, I searched the Oliver sites for warranty information.
I found a list of suppliers. I found a page comparing trailers ( it is quite honest and generous in its description of competitors ).
But, the only reference to warranty that I could find was this, "To promote their product, the company offers a full two-year warranty on their Escape travel trailers".
Old 10-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #20

Name: Marky
Texas
Casita used to have a sale during the winter or off camping season. I wonder if they still do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita