Casita Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Casita Questions

We are moving up from our Scamp 13 to possibly a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. I have a couple of questions and Casita does not answer the telephone on Saturday!

If we get the outside wash station where is it located and what inside space do you lose?

Cold weather camping.. We have camped in our Scamp in below freezing temperatures and no problem keeping it warm with an electric cube heater.. The propane furnace was a bit of overkill. How does the Casita do in cold weather as far as heating with a cube heater goes?
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We just did that very same thing and while we miss our little Scamp and the Casita seems like a big beast we are really enjoying it.
Our outside shower is on the wall at the back of the side dinette cubby (under the seat) as you first enter the trailer. So outside it is just past the bathroom on the toilet side. No real loss of space in the cubby just some plumbing at back.
Heats really easy with a cube heater.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

New Brunswick
Thanks.. is the trailer stored with you.. any chance of a picture of the space. We were at the factory twice in Texas this winter but never looked at one with the shower. Should have known better being a Scamp owner when you add something you lose space in these trailers!
Now your scaring me.. you went from a 16 to 17 and it's a beast - tongue weight or what?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
i spent most of a winter in my casita in nh with a small ceramic heater. it was very comfortable if i was in sweats and had a quilt until it was 20. lower than that i needed the down comforter and a wool hat!

i can also be comfortable in it up to 80 outside with a breeze-dont even need the fan

i love that about it...
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wow you are hardy, Kayak! I guess I wasn't thinking that cold.
Here are some pics, feel free to PM me also if you have more questions. You see in the second pic we still have room for our Lynx levelers, water hose, dustpan etc and could fit more.
We just had a Scamp 13 so that is why it feels much bigger though as soon as you are parked with other RV's it looks small again! For sure heavier than the 13 but it tows really nicely behind our Ridgeline.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1182.JPG   IMG_1183.JPG  

IMG_1184.JPG   IMG_1185.JPG  

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
i meant 20 outside...it was at least 60-64 inside.

i have more trouble with heat than cold.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
We are moving up from our Scamp 13 to possibly a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. I have a couple of questions and Casita does not answer the telephone on Saturday!

If we get the outside wash station where is it located and what inside space do you lose?

Cold weather camping.. We have camped in our Scamp in below freezing temperatures and no problem keeping it warm with an electric cube heater.. The propane furnace was a bit of overkill. How does the Casita do in cold weather as far as heating with a cube heater goes?
≠===≠========≠

I live in ND & have camped in November when it got down to near 10 degrees. My old 16' Casita heater did an adequate job except it got kind of cold on the floor. A small fan to circulate air would have helped. I learned to put my boots up off the floor.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
≠===≠========≠

I live in ND & have camped in November when it got down to near 10 degrees. My old 16' Casita heater did an adequate job except it got kind of cold on the floor. A small fan to circulate air would have helped. I learned to put my boots up off the floor.
I also lit the stove at first to give the furnace a boost. I just had it on Long enough to get the temp up.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #9

New Brunswick
great information.. thanks for the pictures
Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
We put a longer hose on the shower hand held and feed it out the bathroom window.

You could get another storage compartment door from Casita and install it where they put the outside shower. This would give you outside access to the under seat storage area in the Spirit for your hose and stuff, makes setting up more convenient.

On the 13' Patriot Deluxe,16 & 17' Liberty Deluxe this would access the area under the kitchen, and with Three pieces of wood you could fashion a shelf/compartment there.

I did this on our 13' and 17' Casitas. Heres pic's of the 13' and 17'.
On the 13' I relocated the electrical inlet.
On the 17' I also added a convenience light.
Attached Thumbnails
13 side comp.jpg   17'LDi.jpg  

13PDi.jpg  
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote