Casita Stolen! (Massachusetts) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #29

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
I never locked the safety chains but instead i used carabineers on both ends so i can lock the hitch and easily disconnect safety chains from the camper. Luckily the Scamp we have now is so tiny that i just park it in the garage, that and we have CCTV around the perimeter of the property and inside the garage.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 PM   #30

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Alan & Lorraine, could you give details about the situation under which your trailer was stolen, such as time of day, location on your property, what your neighborhood is like, proximity to the road, rural or busy highway. Curious as to the situation the thieves had to steal it. Glad you got it back quick.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 PM   #31
tua

Name: Tua
Trailer: Happier Camper
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
The cops here use small trailers with radar mounted on them, then display your speed as you approach. They move the trailers around in neighborhoods. To prevent "unauthorized" moving of the trailers, they run a steel bar under the trailer through slots in both trailer wheels. They padlock both ends, or one end has a tee or disc welded on it. It is simple, but may not be sold commercially. The bar prevents the wheels from turning. Like any lock, it could be defeated. But it makes towing by hitch chains much harder.
That is a great idea!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #32

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Small clarification on the padlocked bar running under the trailer through both wheels. When I said the bars may not be sold commercially, I should have said I couldn't find them offered commercially for sale. You are free to manufacture, sell them, and make a $ million.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #33

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
Glad you found it. A determined thief will find a way to steal it even when locked. I've been thinking about a Spot Trace GPS tracker that several people I know have in their trailers. It won't prevent a theft but it would provide a location. Mike
Can you tell me more about these Spot Trace GPS trackers. I'd love to have something to find my rig if stolen. Price, where to find, etc.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #34

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Pig View Post
Posted theft on Face Book and it went viral (locally). Someone spotted it in a church parking lot about 5 miles away. Hitch was locked so it had been towed by the safety chains. The jack was left down so it was destroyed but no other damage. Feeling lucky! May start locking the safety chains too!

Alan & Lorraine
Facebook can be a great thing for finding missing people or things. Glad it worked for you. Thieves are hard to stop. We must make our trailers harder than the neighbors to steal. It's like your house. If you have a security system and good locks on doors and double pane windows the thief will go to the next house. Most thieves are not energetic enough to fight through a lot of security.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #35

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Can you tell me more about these Spot Trace GPS trackers. I'd love to have something to find my rig if stolen. Price, where to find, etc.
Here ya go: https://www.amazon.com/Trace-Anti-Th.../dp/B00GQ8WW4M
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Glad you got it back. I too have been thinking of sinking a concrete anchor. Winch and flatbed allows anything light enough to drag to be moved even if wheels won't turn.

Or remove wheels as someone suggested.

Anytime you make it harder it encourages the thief to move on to find a softer target. But the amateur can be an idiot and just keep trying because they are too dumb to realize the longer they are there the more chance for getting caught.

There are also inexpensive motion alarms designed to be hung on a door or similar ones with a pinch switch on a wire that you can wedge the switch in a door crack or under tire. Spring loaded switch turns alarm on if switch is no longer pinched.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Door-Ha...Q87K4X82E13MSE

Doberman Security Portable Door Alarm-SE-0203 - The Home Depot

These are not "real" alarms, thief that sees them can turn them off same as you can by just pushing a button. But under the trailer and out of sight they may well miss them.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #37

Name: Jennifer
OR
No alarms, please!

If I was sitting in a quiet campground and a trailer alarm went off while the owners had blithely taken off for the day, it would generate outrage. Secure your trailer, yes, but a blaring alarm would be an abomination out in the woods.
Our recently purchased Casita Patriot had a malfunction of the Co2 detection alarm while sitting benignly in our driveway, and it kept going off over a four-day period (we kept reading the manual and resetting it and thought/hoped it was fixed). The final straw was when I got up at 4:30am to use the bathroom and heard it beeping again. My husband had to drag his 72-year-old cranky self outside with wirecutters and snip the wire to the battery before our neighbors burned us in effigy.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #38

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRowanHenry View Post
Our recently purchased Casita Patriot had a malfunction of the Co2 detection alarm
That would be a CO ( carbon monoxide ) detector, not a carbon dioxide alarm ( which is what you exhale when you breathe ).
It is best to read and save and read the instruction manuals for trailer appliances.
Perhaps it's not a CO detector at all, but an LP ( liquid propane ) detector that you are referring to. In that case, the manual suggests vacuuming the face of the alarm regularly.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRowanHenry View Post
...Our recently purchased Casita Patriot had a malfunction of the Co2 detection alarm while sitting benignly in our driveway, and it kept going off over a four-day period (we kept reading the manual and resetting it and thought/hoped it was fixed)...
False alarms are an indication that a detector needs to be replaced. (I'm assuming, sitting in the driveway, that there is no source of CO, either inside or outside the trailer...?)

All detectors have an expiration date. I don't recall what the interval is for a CO detector, but I do recall the manual for mine mentioned that extremes of temperature (such as might occur in an RV in storage) shorten the sensor life. I remove mine and store it indoors when the trailer is not in use.

When the smoke detectors in our house passed the 8 year mark, we started getting frequent false alarms. Nothing like being awakened at 4am with all 6 detectors screaming! Replaced them all. Problem gone.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
https://www.findmespot.com/shop/

This is their website. Just checked and they are half price for the summer. I'm thinking seriously about getting one. My friends have them installed in the back upper storage out of sight. If the trailer moves it sends a text message with a location. You can select the frequency of text messages. You do have a subscription fee of $15/month or $150 annual. They say you can get them online, Amazon, Cabella's and REI. Mike
The Lonestar Oliver #135 | Ram 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #41

Name: Jennifer
OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That would be a CO ( carbon monoxide ) detector, not a carbon dioxide alarm ( which is what you exhale when you breathe ).
It is best to read and save and read the instruction manuals for trailer appliances.
Perhaps it's not a CO detector at all, but an LP ( liquid propane ) detector that you are referring to. In that case, the manual suggests vacuuming the face of the alarm regularly.
Thanks for the correction, Glenn... yes, CO, not Co2. We have, and have referred to, all the trailer documentation, also have an excellent adviser on all things RV. It's a nearly new Casita (2016 and never used) that we just bought in May from a dealer in Portland. Even the dealer agreed that the detector was malfunctioning and sent us a replacement, which we will have installed next week before our maiden voyage to California from Oregon.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #42

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There are two kinds of thieves. Casual, opportunistic thieves will likely be put off by several layers of conventional security- boots and coupler locks, for example. As to a well-equipped professional thief targeting my trailer, that's why I pay my insurance premiums.
+1 on the two types.

A change in my auto insurance this year prompted purchasing separate insurance for the trailers. Total coverage @ a $7K valuation each cost about $100 CAD including taxes per trailer.

The insurance change was because they deemed my truck too old to insure without an appraisal. Oddly enough they accepted my valuation for the trailers that are twice the age without an appraisal. My broker couldn't do it with their online systems, it had to go straight to the ins. co.

I put the valuation acceptance down to 2 things. The ins. co. is based in Winnepeg where there are more bolers and fg trailers than other parts of the country, so they should be more familiar with them. The other is I provided the ins.co. a link to Greg A's site https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

Thanks Greg!

Tags
casita