Casita Stolen! (Massachusetts) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 06:22 AM   #1

Name: Alan & Lorraine
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Casita Stolen! (Massachusetts)

Our 2014 Casita Spirit was stolen from our driveway last night (5/28/17). Location - Ashby, Massachusetts. The propane tank cover had been removed for cleaning. Has a Max Air vent cover on the fan.

Call or text 978-386-7981 if you have any leads. There are not many of these in New England.

Thanks,
Alan & Lorraine
Fun Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

Name: Alan & Lorraine
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
We Found It

Posted theft on Face Book and it went viral (locally). Someone spotted it in a church parking lot about 5 miles away. Hitch was locked so it had been towed by the safety chains. The jack was left down so it was destroyed but no other damage. Feeling lucky! May start locking the safety chains too!

Alan & Lorraine
Fun Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Glad you found it. To bad the scumbags that tried to steal it didn't get caught.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe

I'm so very glad for you. I can't even image the heart-drop you felt from the time you discovered the trailer was gone until it was recovered.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Glad you found it. A determined thief will find a way to steal it even when locked. I've been thinking about a Spot Trace GPS tracker that several people I know have in their trailers. It won't prevent a theft but it would provide a location. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow! That is GREAT news!! So glad it's been found!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Sounds like towing it by the chains isn't as simple as it sounds, they only made it 5 miles.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Fun Pig... Score: Owners 1... Thieves 0 (Zip, nothing, nada). 5 miles is close, but it was still GONE!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 AM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Yay!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #10

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
Glad to hear it was recovered. Isn't there some type of wheel lock that can be put on our campers to further discourage theft?
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes- not cheap, but there are boot-type devices. Make sure you buy one that covers the lug nuts.

In truth all security measures can be broken or bypassed. One person reported a tent trailer that was dragged all the way across the front yard with a winch and up onto a roll-on while the owners slept inside the house. But multiple layers take time, and your goal is to convince a would-be thief to move on to a softer target.

So glad to hear this event ended in a quick recovery with minimal damage. You dodged a bullet.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #12

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Alan & Lorraine, so glad you recovered you Casita soooo fast and in good shape. I have not picked up my Casita yet but am planning what security devices I should get to prevent theft while it is parked in my driveway. My TV has an alarm that honks the horn if the vehicle is disturbed. I wonder if such a device is applicable for our trailers? Seems all locks and chains can be defeated, but if a horn was honking........?

Mark
Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 78 Trillium 4500
Michigan
I am really glad to hear you recovered your stolen Casita so quickly, and that it was in good shape. How disheartening to know someone did that. I do wish they had been caught. Food for thought, regarding safety measures to prevent this for all of us.
Shelley Youngman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Here, people don't bat an eye at car horn alarms. They might throw a rock if they have one. Search wheel boot. As said before, make sure it covers your lug nuts.
Chains? They can bring their own. But, if yours is harder than the next trailer, that's half the battle.

This is interesting, others for $99 on eBay:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal...WSY/980775385?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #15

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I came close to losing my custom teardrop a few years ago. Thieves broke the jack in the process. I am now VERY careful my new Scamp.

Peg - another Mass. camper
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #16

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
stolen

I have heard of safety chains being used to tow away. A wheel boot would sure deter and/or slow them down for sure. I must consider that for my little 13' Boler when not safely stored in my garage!!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We keep our Parkliner under a big metal carport, and over the late fall and winter, usually into spring, the wheels and tires are off and locked in my shed. Actually I meant to put them on this past weekend, but had too much going on.

It serves two purposes anyways. It keeps weight off the bearings, which is really why I do it.

We also keep our trailer covered in a custom Sunbrella cover that doesn't leave anything, even the power tongue jack, uncovered. When the cover is on, you can't tell the wheels are off.

I'm glad to hear you recovered your trailer so quickly. Thanks to Facebook really. It is an amazing social network!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #18

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
SO glad to hear you were able to find it quickly and with minimal damage! I would be devastated if ours disappeared! Yay!!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Pig View Post
Hitch was locked so it had been towed by the safety chains. The jack was left down so it was destroyed but no other damage. Feeling lucky! May start locking the safety chains too!
Happy to hear you found it.

On my boler American we've attached the safety chains using those threaded chain links. We can easily remove the chains when the trailer is parked.

I also put a female trailer harness on the trailer so the wiring can be removed. When we tow, I use a length of cable with 2 males on it. One end connects to the tow vehicle the other to the trailer.

No chains and no lights makes it just a little bit more challenging to steal and not get noticed.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #20

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Happy to hear you found it.

On my boler American we've attached the safety chains using those threaded chain links. We can easily remove the chains when the trailer is parked.

I also put a female trailer harness on the trailer so the wiring can be removed. When we tow, I use a length of cable with 2 males on it. One end connects to the tow vehicle the other to the trailer.

No chains and no lights makes it just a little bit more challenging to steal and not get noticed.
I can always come with my own chain, wrap it around tongue and steal your trailer. No lights doesn't bother me. Looks like wheel boot covering lug nuts is the only good solution.

Tags
casita