Casita vs Bigfoot MPG - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Kjs

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Shopping
Pennsylvania
Casita vs Bigfoot MPG

I have no experience with either of these trailers and would like your opinions on what the difference in MPG would be in towing the two? Eventually, we want to go on a 6 month trip and I am torn between these two trailers as they both have their good points. Leaning towards the Bigfoot 17 due to its 4 season availability but cannot seem to stop debating the two. Thanks
Kjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
MPG is so dependant of tow vehicle, driving style, terrain, and so many factors. The difference in fuel economy in towing either of these trailers would be so minimal that I would get the trailer that best fits your needs and likes.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Nothing against the Bigfoot, but the four season ability would hardly be a factor in my vote unlesss it were free. Generally we try to avoid the winter situation. Even traveling to Newfoundland and Labrador in the spring as we are, the four season ability is simply not needed.

As to MPG, it's frontal area and shape that are the deciding factors. We have towed both a Scamp and a Casita for long distances and though the Casita weighed about 10% more thna the Scamp w could see little or no difference in miles per gallon.

On the other hand we towed a square stick built trailer about 10% lighter than our Scamp and had 10% less mpg. It seemed to us that shape and frontal area were dominating factors.

For most people on this site their mpgs are mostly defined by their choice of tow vehicle, driving habits and typical towing speeds and not the differences between 16 and 17 foot trailers.

In choosing your trailer I would lean towards the features I thought I liked and needed first, and push mpgs down the list.

We tow a 1991 Scamp 16 with a four cylinder Honda CRV and get about 22 mpg. Now we drive very conservatively and with a tow vehicle that is smaller than most on the site though many people get 20 mpg with small 4 cylinder vehicles like the Outback and Escape.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
I looked at both also (ended up with a Scamp). I recommend comparing the weight difference between the two to help you. The Bigfoot is wider and heavier which will affect mpg but might be worth the trade off. Depends somewhat on the year model of the Bigfoot as they got heavier in later years. Also check on the insulation as not all of the older ones are winterproof if I remember correctly.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
True stories are being told! AND, it's all that and more... what do you pack to be "comfortable." It's not just size, it's weight as well. Check out the weights here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It's hard to know for sure without knowing your tow vehicle. But like others said, frontal area/wind resistance is the big factor. When I went from the 17' Burro to my current 7' wide boxy trailer, it cost me 2 mpg. An 8' wide TT would make an even larger difference... and don't forget height, either.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
One is shaped like a box and the other like a hot dog. I think the hot dog would win.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you camp, instead of driving, you find a major improvement in mileage.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Glenn's comment is very true. On these long trips, 6 months in your case, mpg can be less important than for a short term or weekend camper. On our 11 month trip we averaged less than 100 miles a day including towing and exploring. Where a weekend camper going 300 miles from home can easily average 200 miles or more per day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Pick the trailer you like and buy it. I never get the gas mileage on the vehicle sticker when I buy it...Im too fast on the gas pedal lol. If your looking to get better gas mileage then slow down to 55 and take your time going to your destination.

The more aerodynamic the shape the better your going do on gas. When I bought my ParkLiner I had no idea what I was going to average till I towed it. Coming from my home built gypsy vardo I averaged 13 and less the faster I traveled. My ParkLiner at 55mph I got 16.5mpg, at 65-70 I averaged 13.5 on the trip bringing it home. 60 did me fine keeps up with traffic.

Who woulda thought wider and taller and better gas mileage lol... aerodynamics!
Attached Thumbnails
49.jpg   24.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I have had a Scamp 16, Casita 17, 2 Bigfoot 21's and now a Bigfoot 25. I towed them all with a Ford F-150 with 5.4 liter engine. Mileage was identical between the Scamp and heavier Casita. I lost between 4-5 miles per gallon when going from the Casita to the Bigfoot 21. But when I went to the Bigfoot 25, there was no further change. The 25 and 21 have identical frontal configurations. This must be a greater factor than weight. As for the 4-season capability, only you can decide if you need it. I know I love it where I live. I can be in elk camp in single digits in November and still make full use of the plumbing.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
Kjs

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Shopping
Pennsylvania
Thank you all for your replies. We would be a camper more than a driver during our trip so I think it is best to stay with my first choice of a Bigfoot. Can anyone tell me if they made a 4 season trailer prior to 2005? Also, what size tanks are in a 90's 17 G model?
Kjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Deryk, thanks for posting pics. I had been imagining your vardo as much taller. Now I have persepective.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #14

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
For best fuel economy make sure both the tow rig and trailer are washed and waxed or like many of us have done apply Red Max Floor polish or Poli-glow on the trailer. Making it clean and sleek with reduce air drag.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
I have had a Scamp 16, Casita 17, 2 Bigfoot 21's and now a Bigfoot 25. I towed them all with a Ford F-150 with 5.4 liter engine. Mileage was identical between the Scamp and heavier Casita. I lost between 4-5 miles per gallon when going from the Casita to the Bigfoot 21. But when I went to the Bigfoot 25, there was no further change. The 25 and 21 have identical frontal configurations. This must be a greater factor than weight. As for the 4-season capability, only you can decide if you need it. I know I love it where I live. I can be in elk camp in single digits in November and still make full use of the plumbing.
If this isn't a perfect demonstration that trailer front surface area is the most critical factor, I don't know what is.

Bookmarking this page for future reference...thanks, David!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
You are welcome, Francesca. We love our Bigfoot, but aerodynamic it is not. Too many flat surfaces. I can feel the wind grabbing it. Egg-shaped trailers just fly better. Bigfoots are basically square with slightly rounded corners.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
On your 4th rainy day, when you can stand with your arms outstretched and twirl without hitting anything; when you are admiring the view out of all those large windows; its just worth the mileage.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #18

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I second what David and Nancy and Cam A say! It may not be the sleekest egg out there, but oh, those windows and oh, all that room! For us, that's worth the slight loss in MPG.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The Bigfoot's plenty sleek- not that much "squarer" than many of our rigs. It just has more frontal surface area than most fiberglass trailers, which is likely what causes the extra drag.

And I totally agree with those that appreciate the extra area- A space that two people can actually stand side by side in sounds like heaven to me!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
we all have to decide what we want in a trailer (sometimes its why people have more then 1) If your worried about the cost in fuel then get the casita, if your not concerned about lesser gas mileage then buy the bigfoot. I like that Im getting a little better gas mileage then my vardo so Im happy...but Im also single. If I was traipsing around with a few others I would want a little more room so I could have some privacy lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, casita