Casita vs Escape - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2007, 06:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Oddly it's one of the things that people comment on when they ask for a tour of our Escape, and so far those comments have always been favorable. Having never had the AC anywhere else we don't know why people are pleased, but probably half the people who look at the trailer comment on liking to see it in that wall rather then on the roof.

What I can't figure out is why people want to have microwaves with them. At home we use it for defrosting dinner and reheating coffee. In the trailer we pick up fresh groceries as we are going, drink our coffee in the morning and are out and about during the day.....

jen

Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Maybe not that simple Roger. I thought that earlier Scamps and Casitas didn't have roof mounted ACs because they were not structurally designed for them. Same for the Escape according to Reece.
Actually, Steve, it is that simple. You apparently just haven't been around RVs very long. A/C has only been standard equipment on these fiberglass trailers since the late '80s in most cases. Before that, it was only available on the higher-end conventional construction trailers, and only then widely available as an option since the mid-'70s.

The original designs of some of our earliest fiberglass trailers have had difficulty supporting a snow load in the winter, much less roof A/C. However, as buyers demanded to have air conditioning in them, it was necessary for the factories to figure out how to retro-fit A/C into their existing product. The demand for A/C units has grown exponentially among consumers in the past twenty years. I doubt there are many trailers still ordered without A/C. All the while, roof A/C has become more and more efficient and lighter weight. Eventually the consumer demand for roof-air units and the eventual redesign of molds proved more cost-effective from a manufacturing perspective to mold the roof supports in and use roof air.

I don't, of course, speak for any of the manufacturers, but I've been around these things long enough to see some evolution in them, and I thoroughly researched and nearly re-opened a closed marque a couple of years ago. I didn't do it because I didn't have the time to devote to make it successful.

Today using a residential unit for A/C in a new unit is a choice of the manufacturer, not the only solution as it was before Scamp and Casita began glassing in support for their roof units. You can rest assured that since the other established large manufacturers have almost all exclusively switched to using roof air after using residential window units (with the exception of a couple of notable startups), it's either consumer demand driven, or it's less expensive in some fashion for them to do it.

Roger

Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I prefer the Escape, but I think we will go with the Casita just because of the cheaper cost to purchase, or if
someone is interested in selling their used Escape!!!!!
Rob.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #18

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Read this entire thread as my husband and I both are undecided between an Escape or a Casita (17'). Just realized the dates on this is back in 2007! So what did "Rob M" ever settle on - Casita or Escape? We like the idea of the dining area and bed on either side with the Escape. With the Casita, the small dining area is on the side across from the kitchen. However, we never even considered where the A/C was at until reading this thread. If the A/C is inside, is there a problem with condensation inside the unit? Is it better than to have it up on top? Thank you for sharing so much info. Would love to buy a product in the USA but also want the best product out there!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
We'll probably never know Rob's decision, or even if he bought an all molded trailer: Last Activity: 10-19-2011 08:35 PM

Best of luck on YOUR decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #20

Name: Thane
Trailer: Escape
My older Escape has the wall mounted unit and I have no problems with condensation. That side of the AC is sealed from the inside of the trailer and has an exterior drain.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #21

California
Thank you for the responses! So we don't know what Rob M purchased? It was like reading a book and now I don't have an ending to the story!
LOL
Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #22

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
Our 2009 Escape 19 has the A/C on the roof of the trailer.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #23

California
Thanks, Thane. We wondered about condensation in the unit. Honestly, we never even noticed the AC was not on top of the Escape. Not sure if that would matter to us. I suppose it's better not to have a hole on top of the trailer...I would think..even though it is sealed. I'm still stuck on the 5.0 but i think my hubby likes the 17' better. I don't think it's enough room. We also have a small dog we would travel with...so we definitely do need the AC. Hopefully it would be safe to leave the dog in the trailer if we take some national park trails which don't allow pets.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #24

California
So the A/C on the roof presents no issues to you? I guess it may not really matter. I read on one of the posts that it is noisier on the inside if the A/C is in the closet.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
FWIW: Always give the floorplan #1 priority, You will quickly learn to live with the outside appearance, and any money you spent extra/saved will be soon forgotten, but the floorplan will govern your life, every time you use your trailer.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
I'm still stuck on the 5.0 but i think my hubby likes the 17' better. I don't think it's enough room.
The absolutely best way to determine needs is to physically see for yourselves. Have you been inside both the 5.0 and the 17? If you haven't and are within a reasonable driving distance to Bandon, Oregon I'd strongly suggest coming to the Oregon Gathering. You'll have a nearly unsurpassed opportunity to see the 5.0, 19, 17, 15 and 13 foot Escapes, plus all models and sizes of Scamps and Casitas and tons of others. There are Yurts for rent in the park, come join us, hang out and discover for yourselves the wonders of all molded trailers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #27

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The absolutely best way to determine needs is to physically see for yourselves. Have you been inside both the 5.0 and the 17? If you haven't and are within a reasonable driving distance to Bandon, Oregon I'd strongly suggest coming to the Oregon Gathering. You'll have a nearly unsurpassed opportunity to see the 5.0, 19, 17, 15 and 13 foot Escapes, plus all models and sizes of Scamps and Casitas and tons of others. There are Yurts for rent in the park, come join us, hang out and discover for yourselves the wonders of all molded trailers.
Unfortunately still working, not retired quite yet (but hopefully soon), so time is a factor. We're too far for a weekend drive. Sounds great, though! If we could get a really low airfare, wouldn't mind jumping up there for the weekend!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #28

California
PS: Been inside 3 different Casitas. Have seen each layout. Contacted Escape two months ago - there's no 5.0's in Southern California. (?) But there are two 19' Escape trailers (not interested in those). Just wrote to Escape this week re: getting us some names in our area for the Escape 17' so hopefully Tammy can find some in our Southern Cal area.

Tags
casita, escape