Casita vs Escape - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #21

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Thank you for the responses! So we don't know what Rob M purchased? It was like reading a book and now I don't have an ending to the story!
LOL
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #22

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
Our 2009 Escape 19 has the A/C on the roof of the trailer.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #23

California
Thanks, Thane. We wondered about condensation in the unit. Honestly, we never even noticed the AC was not on top of the Escape. Not sure if that would matter to us. I suppose it's better not to have a hole on top of the trailer...I would think..even though it is sealed. I'm still stuck on the 5.0 but i think my hubby likes the 17' better. I don't think it's enough room. We also have a small dog we would travel with...so we definitely do need the AC. Hopefully it would be safe to leave the dog in the trailer if we take some national park trails which don't allow pets.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #24

California
So the A/C on the roof presents no issues to you? I guess it may not really matter. I read on one of the posts that it is noisier on the inside if the A/C is in the closet.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
FWIW: Always give the floorplan #1 priority, You will quickly learn to live with the outside appearance, and any money you spent extra/saved will be soon forgotten, but the floorplan will govern your life, every time you use your trailer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
I'm still stuck on the 5.0 but i think my hubby likes the 17' better. I don't think it's enough room.
The absolutely best way to determine needs is to physically see for yourselves. Have you been inside both the 5.0 and the 17? If you haven't and are within a reasonable driving distance to Bandon, Oregon I'd strongly suggest coming to the Oregon Gathering. You'll have a nearly unsurpassed opportunity to see the 5.0, 19, 17, 15 and 13 foot Escapes, plus all models and sizes of Scamps and Casitas and tons of others. There are Yurts for rent in the park, come join us, hang out and discover for yourselves the wonders of all molded trailers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #27

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The absolutely best way to determine needs is to physically see for yourselves. Have you been inside both the 5.0 and the 17? If you haven't and are within a reasonable driving distance to Bandon, Oregon I'd strongly suggest coming to the Oregon Gathering. You'll have a nearly unsurpassed opportunity to see the 5.0, 19, 17, 15 and 13 foot Escapes, plus all models and sizes of Scamps and Casitas and tons of others. There are Yurts for rent in the park, come join us, hang out and discover for yourselves the wonders of all molded trailers.
Unfortunately still working, not retired quite yet (but hopefully soon), so time is a factor. We're too far for a weekend drive. Sounds great, though! If we could get a really low airfare, wouldn't mind jumping up there for the weekend!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #28

California
PS: Been inside 3 different Casitas. Have seen each layout. Contacted Escape two months ago - there's no 5.0's in Southern California. (?) But there are two 19' Escape trailers (not interested in those). Just wrote to Escape this week re: getting us some names in our area for the Escape 17' so hopefully Tammy can find some in our Southern Cal area.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #29

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
FWIW: Always give the floorplan #1 priority, You will quickly learn to live with the outside appearance, and any money you spent extra/saved will be soon forgotten, but the floorplan will govern your life, every time you use your trailer.
I agree Bob. It will be our cabin on wheels and we should be comfortable in it for sure!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
There is a reason that small window unit A/Cs are cheap to replace.At the 5-6k size, it has been years since I have seen a new one which was repairable, They come with no port for recharging and the tubing is too thin to add one. Many (not all)are structurally supported inside only with formed styrofoam. You would think that wouldn't matter since they will likely last several years and cost less than $100. Some truth to that, but they are not standardized in physical size, meaning your trailer may need to be modified to accept a replacement by the time it is needed.
I really like the little Fridgidaire which is better built than some of it's peers, is only 35# and is the most compact I can find.

The roof mounts cost more, a lot more, but they are repairable, rechargeable, and are built to take the rigors of towing, They take no real interior space and can be bought with a built-in heat strip. They fit a standardized 14"X14" opening. The PolarCub is the smallest I know of still on the market, we have the even smaller Mini-Mach which will run on our little Coleman generator, an advantage generally reserved for the small window units.

Just curious... what are you planning to Tow with?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #31

California
Re: our tow vehicle- we just bought it (has 18 miles on it now... :-)) specifically for our trailer or fifth wheel plan. It's a GMC Sierra 1500. I believe tow capacity is 9000.

So if i understand your email ... do we then have a choice with Escape - to have the A/C inside or on top? I didn't think there was a choice. With Casita, it's always on the top, correct?
If the layout in the Escape is less constricting (the dinette at the far side of the unit and the bed on the other side is very appealing)...no matter re: the A/C, we would get the Escape. Looking forward to seeing one, hopefully the Escape folks can find one in our area.

We do want as safe a tow experience as possible which is also why I think a fifth wheel is better to handle vs. a trailer. Doing a lot of reading in this forum but I don't see that is much of an issue with most people.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #32

California
PS: Jury is still out ...Escape 17, Casita 17 or Escape 5.0.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't know what part of Cali you are in but there is an escape 17b in sacramento last i heard.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Re: our tow vehicle- we just bought it (has 18 miles on it now... :-)) specifically for our trailer or fifth wheel plan. It's a GMC Sierra 1500. I believe tow capacity is 9000.

So if i understand your email ... do we then have a choice with Escape - to have the A/C inside or on top? I didn't think there was a choice. With Casita, it's always on the top, correct?
If the layout in the Escape is less constricting (the dinette at the far side of the unit and the bed on the other side is very appealing)...no matter re: the A/C, we would get the Escape. Looking forward to seeing one, hopefully the Escape folks can find one in our area.

We do want as safe a tow experience as possible which is also why I think a fifth wheel is better to handle vs. a trailer. Doing a lot of reading in this forum but I don't see that is much of an issue with most people.
I just was pointing out what I considered an honest comparison of the two types of A/C. I use them both. My personal trailer has roof A/C (Mini-Mach)with a heatstrip.
I don't know if the Escape would offer a PolarCub or not, but I would ask. It would be your best option in terms of quality, but the cost would be higher than a window air. Maybe not a deal breaker in either case.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Escape owners Tammy and Reace will let you order it your way with the options you want. Reace wears a tool belt and overseas the production of the trailers. He also does service work on customer trailers. You would be lucky to talk to the CEO of Casita. I bought a 2010 Escape 19 it is a great trailer and we got the options we wanted. In the past I have owned a Casita,Burro,Scamp, 6 Bigfoot's,Boler,ECO,U-Haul,Compact Jr,Trails West Campster.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
PS: Jury is still out ...Escape 17, Casita 17 or Escape 5.0.
Hi: Robert and Laura... After 5yrs of ownership I'm in the 5.0 camp for good!!! Towing is easy even in the extreem winds we had two weeks ago. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be tuggin any other trailer.
You sure can have it your way too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
My Old Kentucky Home St. Pk. and 18 hole GC..jpg   Coffee's ready.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
As a former Casita owner and how a very happy Escape owner, allow me to add what Chuck and Alf has said, the Escape is one great trailer. You would be hard pressed to fine another trailer that' better. And as Chuck said, Tammy and Reace are very good working with you to get want you want. I highly recommend the Escape.
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is an Escape 17B for sale here on the forums
here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-51116.html
with the side mount a/c. The newer models I believe are all top mount now.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
We loved our Casita 17 FD. But, whomever slept next to the wall had to climb over the other to get out at night. And at my age that is usually me and several times a night. For that reason we went over to the Escape 5. No regrets--except the exchange rate a year ago vs today. Ouch.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
After first deciding that I would prefer to move from our 24' stick-built, to a smaller and lighter moulded fiberglass, I first looked at used, but found that most available here would need a lot of repairs and modifications, something I am fully capable of and would enjoy doing. After getting a smack upside the head from my wife who reminded me we were in the middle of a renovation, and that I had about 5-10 years worth of projects lined up already, that doing that should not be an option.

So, off on a search for new I went. My wife's only criteria was a permanent bed, and a small bathroom. I looked at all the available new models from all the manufacturers. While I really liked the Escape 5.0, I did not want to use a pickup truck, instead preferring our SUV for better all round use. The Oliver was in production at the time, and I really like some of the quality features it had, but it was eliminated from the search due to the cost, and the fact it looked very plasticy inside. I then narrowed it down to Scamp, Casita, and Escape 16-17' models.

Reading more, the Scamp was soon eliminated and we were leaning more to the Escape than the Casita. Then, Reace announced that they were planning to do a 19' model, which would be a stretched, widened and taller 17'. Well, I was all over that like a dirty shirt, and got in on the first introductory offer, getting a really good deal on it. Mine was the 6th built.

Having never dealt with Casita, I cannot comment on their service, but as you all have heard many times over now, the dealing with Escape was great. They listen to customers and do the modifications that are feasible, they take some of these things and have incorporated them into their trailers. Heck, when Reace was doing layouts for the trailer, I suggested another idea, and he put it up on their site as a Plan B, which due to its popularity ended up being the only plan they built. Not very many manufacturers listen to, and weight out, the suggestions from customers to this degree.

I have no doubt that value wise the Casita is near on par with Escape when based on purchase price, but I truly believe that the added cost of the Escape is worth it as it adds even more quality and value for that extra cost. Something I do not regret in the least deciding to go with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape