Casita vs Scamp - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #81

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Screws penetrate the outer shell into the wooden blocking? Now that's dumb. The Escape I'm having built uses screws to mount cabinets, etc but only from the inside, hence my confusion. They don't penetrate the outer shell.

I know lots about rain/water leaks, living in Oregon............
Charlie,
I know you will be glad to get your new Escape! Do you have any knowledge about the way Bigfoot campers are built? How do they compare to Escapes?
Also, do you know what they use to build the floors?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #82

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Dear Russ,

Although my post now is currently out of thread context, here's a pic of my open cell foam door seal on my scamp. Notice the shifting.

Trying to decide whether to do today or not with scamps rubber d moulding. Awfully cool here in WNY today. Worried that adhesive might not come off so easily unless I wait for a hot day, which might not come given this summer's cooler than normal temps. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408112958.043971.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	74879

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #83

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm with Floyd and the others on rivets just work. At a lower cost to manufacture and most any through fastener provides greater strength and durability than screwing into wood. There is a reason aircraft, bridges and sky scrapers used rivets for construction.

Which would you rather remove for repair? Rivet drills off the same after 20 minutes as it does after 20 years. Bolts and screws? Eh not so much. Half the money in my cuss jar is from conversations directed at old stuck fasteners. Or screws with rusted slots, or that snap off from rusting under the head.

Window and vent leaks seem to me to be far more common than rivet leaks. Where I think the butyl tape, aluminum frame riveted in rules.

That said I can see why wood block attachment would be the choice for a manufacturer that wanted greater flexibility to customize for upmarket sales. Or double hull for less flexibility but better insulation and durable inner walls.

Each method has some downside or another but on balance the manufacturer decided for their market or purpose this design worked and their customers vote with their purchase. Changing manufacture process is always expensive in terms of tooling and training, mistakes in design or implementation that don't show up right away can create real problems for these low volume companies in terms of financial and public relations(parkliner?) .

I am however 100% with Donna on why did anyone think that putting the stinky slinky in the middle of the front wall was a good location? If your going to put a "figurehead" on the prow of the camper that is not what I would have picked. Propane and battery is sort of traditional, cover that with a dog with it's ears blown back by the wind that would be cool. Dragon nice, mermaid hmm. depends on DW's opinion but sewer hose storage?

Me I like the industrial chic of snap caps, form following function is pleasing to my eye. However it should be noted that I have told beyond my taste in dogs (like em all) or wife (like just one) I have not one whit of good taste in anything else.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #84

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The foam comes off easily, a little hair dryer may help though I just peeled mine off. I used WD-40 sprayed on a paper towel to get off the bits left behind.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #85

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post

Trying to decide whether to do today or not with scamps rubber d moulding. Awfully cool here in WNY today. Worried that adhesive might not come off so easily unless I wait for a hot day, which might not come given this summer's cooler than normal temps....
Got electricity and a blow dryer? Can really help getting adhesive things off to direct some heat at them. That and WD40 but the prep clean up is a little more critical if you have been cleaning with WD40 first.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #86
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Blocking is placed below a window to secure a seat or bench or cabinet. The window leaks , water runs down the inside of the wall and follows the screws back into the blocking causing rot or swelling or the screw to pull out . There has been many posts on this website about window leaks leading to the rotting of the OSB flooring from the inside . The screws do not have to penetrate the outer shell ! I am not questioning the wisdom of Escape's method for mounting interior components but to say that Rivets are a poor means of fastening equipment and glued in OSB blocks are a foolproof method is not true
Nothing in life is foolproof. My Casita had wooden blocking below the windows, not rivets. I was addressing only the rivets used above the beltline and in particular those on the roof. Rivets through holes are simply a less expensive means of mass production. Based on 30+ years of mechanical engineering experience, I just prefer not to have to deal with rivets anymore. Been there!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #87
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Got electricity and a blow dryer? Can really help getting adhesive things off to direct some heat at them. That and WD40 but the prep clean up is a little more critical if you have been cleaning with WD40 first.
Acetone (in paint dept) will remove practically any adhesive residue used on rubber/polymer seals. Also WD40 residue.

Charlie Y

Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #88

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Norm just posted a different thread regarding the discovery of a Viking ship's remnants on the Mississippi River in TN. USA: Viking Ship Discovered Near Mississippi RiverÂ*|Â*
Something in that article caught my eye: the ship was "...clinker built, which means the overlapping of planks riveted together."

On the one hand, rivets got them all the way across the ocean.
On the other hand, rivets didn't get them back home!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #89

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Rivets do leak, no doubt. As we all know, water will find it's own way if it wants to. Rotting floors? Yeah, windows and vents.

You have no doubt , I have plenty.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #90

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I admire and respect you immensely Floyd and to all be known here you have graciously given me your time and support in numerous occasions.

You are a good man! But I have replaced many rivets already, one leaking. Ok maybe the trailer leaked through the hole, not the rivet.

I think the world of you and I still love my scamp!

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #91
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Does anyone know what the current price of a Scamp 13' standard with no options is ? At one time it was the cheapest fiberglass camper you could buy new. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #92

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I admire and respect you immensely Floyd and to all be known here you have graciously given me your time and support in numerous occasions.

You are a good man! But I have replaced many rivets already, one leaking. Ok maybe the trailer leaked through the hole, not the rivet.

I think the world of you and I still love my scamp!

Thank you for the kind words!

You are right that a wallowed out hole or a broken rivet can result in a leak.
As my favorite lyric poet once said.....
"Everything put together, sooner or later falls apart."

Considering the number of 30-40 year old riveted fiberglass RVs still extant... the jury has long since returned a verdict!

My comments are not directed at you personally, but at the premise...
The general argument, at its root, is not based on the merits.

As with all strawman arguments....
The antagonist always picks out a perceived difference, however insignificant, to isolate and reject the opposition, when the initial obfuscation subsides the trivialities become irrelevant.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #93

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Spoken like a true Vulcan, Floyd! I can just picture Spock saying something like that.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #94
Commercial Member

Oregon
I always liked "Live Long and Prosper"

Probably so he could buy his own Starship. The ultimate RV that never gets a flat tire!

Charlie Y

Old 08-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #95

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
topic

Starships,? .....viking ships?.......rivets? Wasn't this scamp vs Casita. Don't they both have rivets?????? Maybe we could discuss growing fingerling potatoes. Specifically Russian banana .
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #96
Commercial Member

Oregon
LOL......guess we exhausted relevant thoughts and wandered off into hyperspace.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #97

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
New old (2005) Casita Patriot owner, here. Never seen a scamp, but I love my Patriot!

I have the front bathroom, and from looking at the pics of the 16' scamp, my bathroom is alot bigger and easier to use.
Plus, from reading all of the casita forums, I don't hear about leaks much. There has to be a problem like an owner-drilled hole to cause a leak.

I also don't like the drapes in the scamp. I think they close in the space. I like my mini blinds. They hug the wall and I can turn them for whatever sun/shade/privacy I want.

I prefer the casita fiberglass to the wood in the scamp. It's simpler and more relaxing than all that wood grain going this way and that. I don't mind the imitation wood doors, either, They clean up well.
I have no problem with my door and windows. Basically, the complaints I hear on casitas aren't interior: They're mostly about the grey and black holding tanks. The plumbing doesn't allow all of the water to drain, so many put in a new release valve, and they also do what's called a valvectomy on the p trap under the shower. Most of the mods on the casitas are on plumbing underneath, like adding ventilation so the water moves in and out more easily and allows the tanks to really fill up.

I don't know if the scamps with full plumbing have these same issues, or not. It's possible they use the same tank manufacturers. I don't know.

I don't know the price differences. I assume the scamps are less.

Mine rolls down the road beautifully, with no swaying. She's alot of fun!
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #98
Commercial Member

Oregon
Sue, that's really all that counts. As long as the fun outweighs any other issues, life is good!

Charlie Y

Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #99

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All this Vulcan speak and Live Long and Prosper and STUFF, makes me want to go camping in Ten Forward.

Love the one you're with, make a ton of memories. It's not about the brand... it's the fact you own an all molded towable. Your trailer is special, enjoy it!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #100

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Does anyone know what the current price of a Scamp 13' standard with no options is ? At one time it was the cheapest fiberglass camper you could buy new. Raz

Raz, the Standard 13 Scamp with no options is $9,295. With the Option Package that contains City Water, 1.9 cubic ft 3-way refrigerator, Battery group 24, Gravel shield, Screen door, Window over range, Choice of front or rear cabinet, and silverware door the price is $10,195.

The 13 Standard with the front bathroom starts at $11,495.

We just got the couch, bunk bed Standard with just about every option except hot water heater and water pump. We also got extra lights and AC and DC outlets, Air Conditioning, awning, big bed (no charge), linoleum, grey water tank, etc and ours ran $12,875.

Hope that helps.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp