Casita vs Scamp - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #71

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My sister is fond of saying "gads" or "gadzooks!" with a similar meaning.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #72

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral View Post
Pop rivets "superior"???? Don't THINK so. Why does my closet now have bolts and locknuts to fasten it to the roof of my Scamp? Because the rivets loosened allowing a LEAK to start inside my closet.

Rivets "superior" to hold CURTAIN RODS?? Now that's just plain funny!

I'm with Donna D on that one!

Darral

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rivets and glued in blocks both work as a way to support cabinets etc . Yes, rivets will work there way loose or break but are easily replaced .(I replaced a couple last week in less than 20 minutes) Gluing OSB blocks in the walls for supports may seem like a better method until the block rots or swells . The repair then becomes much more difficult than replacing a simple rivet.
I agree with Donna that Scamp seems a little rivet happy and makes unnecessary penetration in the hull .

Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #73
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Ummm, what would cause a glassed-in wood mounting block to swell and rot if there is no source of water???

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #74

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Ummm, what would cause a glassed-in wood mounting block to swell and rot if there is no source of water???

Charlie Y
The wood block is "supposedly" sealed in the wall right up to the time you put a screw through the fiberglass coating into the wood block. It takes very little water to cause raw OSB to swell or rot . Living in the North you soon learn that OSB roof sheathing and ice dams are a bad combination. Replacing your shingles often means replacing the OSB under them
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #75

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
This is true. Here in Western NY, OSB is not used for roof sheathing, only exterior walls in new construction or repair.

The people that lived in my house previously used OSB for sheathing on my shed. When shingles fail, OSB is out the door quicker than jack sprat. I personally don't like the stuff.

I have a 2012 and have also replaced many rivets in the roof already. Same one leaking in closet as previously mentioned.

I have read before, which made sense to me: rather have a rivet come loose than a SS bolt stay tight with time and flexing. Rivet can be replaced, but a tight bolt might put undue stress on FG.

Now I'm a newbie, and only take in what makes sense to me. I used blind rivets for my awning rail install as they have greater tensile strength (open up and petal out like a flower, pushing up toward FG).

However, I can definitely see and appreciate how people get sick of them and go to SS bolts and lock nuts. I truly do see both points of view. And hey, down the road I might just sway that way too if I get sick enough of riveting.

Rivets do leak, no doubt. As we all know, water will find it's own way if it wants to. Rotting floors? Yeah, windows and vents.

I dunno. There's pros and cons to all methods. Whatever syncs well in your human mind is the answer, dealing with any fallout with an sir of acceptance for your decisions.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #76

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita vs Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My Scamp has 24 through holes (rivets) just for curtain rods. THAT is ridiculous. AND, then there's four more holes (rivets) to hang the stinky slinky tube on the front of the trailer. Like THAT THING is attractive... NOT!

If I was ordering a new Scamp, I'd tell the manufacturer to NOT mount curtain rods or the stinky slinky tube and that would eliminate 28 holes.

GAD.

With you on both counts...

Curious, though- how would you attach window coverings as an alternative? (Knowing this is purely theoretical for you at this point!... and for me, since I already have the holes.)

Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #77

New York
Registry
Blind rivets aka peel rivets. McMaster Carr

Old 08-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #78

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Could you explain more?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #79
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The wood block is "supposedly" sealed in the wall right up to the time you put a screw through the fiberglass coating into the wood block. It takes very little water to cause raw OSB to swell or rot . Living in the North you soon learn that OSB roof sheathing and ice dams are a bad combination. Replacing your shingles often means replacing the OSB under them
Screws penetrate the outer shell into the wooden blocking? Now that's dumb. The Escape I'm having built uses screws to mount cabinets, etc but only from the inside, hence my confusion. They don't penetrate the outer shell.

I know lots about rain/water leaks, living in Oregon............

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #80

None
Quote:
Screws penetrate the outer shell into the wooden blocking? Now that's dumb. The Escape I'm having built uses screws to mount cabinets, etc but only from the inside, hence my confusion. They don't penetrate the outer shell.

Blocking is placed below a window to secure a seat or bench or cabinet. The window leaks , water runs down the inside of the wall and follows the screws back into the blocking causing rot or swelling or the screw to pull out . There has been many posts on this website about window leaks leading to the rotting of the OSB flooring from the inside . The screws do not have to penetrate the outer shell ! I am not questioning the wisdom of Escape's method for mounting interior components but to say that Rivets are a poor means of fastening equipment and glued in OSB blocks are a foolproof method is not true
Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #81

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:

Charlie,
I know you will be glad to get your new Escape! Do you have any knowledge about the way Bigfoot campers are built? How do they compare to Escapes?
Also, do you know what they use to build the floors?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #82

New York
Registry
Dear Russ,

Although my post now is currently out of thread context, here's a pic of my open cell foam door seal on my scamp. Notice the shifting.

Trying to decide whether to do today or not with scamps rubber d moulding. Awfully cool here in WNY today. Worried that adhesive might not come off so easily unless I wait for a hot day, which might not come given this summer's cooler than normal temps. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1408112958.043971.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	74879

Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #83

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I'm with Floyd and the others on rivets just work. At a lower cost to manufacture and most any through fastener provides greater strength and durability than screwing into wood. There is a reason aircraft, bridges and sky scrapers used rivets for construction.

Which would you rather remove for repair? Rivet drills off the same after 20 minutes as it does after 20 years. Bolts and screws? Eh not so much. Half the money in my cuss jar is from conversations directed at old stuck fasteners. Or screws with rusted slots, or that snap off from rusting under the head.

Window and vent leaks seem to me to be far more common than rivet leaks. Where I think the butyl tape, aluminum frame riveted in rules.

That said I can see why wood block attachment would be the choice for a manufacturer that wanted greater flexibility to customize for upmarket sales. Or double hull for less flexibility but better insulation and durable inner walls.

Each method has some downside or another but on balance the manufacturer decided for their market or purpose this design worked and their customers vote with their purchase. Changing manufacture process is always expensive in terms of tooling and training, mistakes in design or implementation that don't show up right away can create real problems for these low volume companies in terms of financial and public relations(parkliner?) .

I am however 100% with Donna on why did anyone think that putting the stinky slinky in the middle of the front wall was a good location? If your going to put a "figurehead" on the prow of the camper that is not what I would have picked. Propane and battery is sort of traditional, cover that with a dog with it's ears blown back by the wind that would be cool. Dragon nice, mermaid hmm. depends on DW's opinion but sewer hose storage?

Me I like the industrial chic of snap caps, form following function is pleasing to my eye. However it should be noted that I have told beyond my taste in dogs (like em all) or wife (like just one) I have not one whit of good taste in anything else.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #84

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The foam comes off easily, a little hair dryer may help though I just peeled mine off. I used WD-40 sprayed on a paper towel to get off the bits left behind.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp