Casita with a slide out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Casita with a slide out

Today when I was registering for a campsite at the Siesta RV Park in Las Cruces NM the guy behind the counter taking my information told me there was a guy with an unusual Casita there last week. He said it had a slide out. He said the guy that had it told him that it was a prototype and his son is an engineer for Casita. I only wish that I had been here to take photos. This information is second hand so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information but it sure got my attention.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
MMMM, wonder if that has anything to do with not building the 13'er anymore
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Yup. Heard of that.
Advised to mix Coca Cola and Zep 1:3 to lubricate the slides.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yup. Heard of that.
Advised to mix Coca Cola and Zep 1:3 to lubricate the slides.
You sure that was not Coke & Bourbon to lube something else?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No slam, but I can't even imagine Casita manufacturing having an engineer on staff. They haven't made any changes since the Independence in 2013. All other changes have been to options, brands of items and minor items.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Anything is possible. But unless Casita is worried about losing market share (and their production schedule seems to say otherwise) or else wanting to add production volume capability (a new factory, like Escape), I can't see them spending the R&D money on a major product change like that.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Anything is possible. But unless Casita is worried about losing market share (and their production schedule seems to say otherwise) or else wanting to add production volume capability (a new factory, like Escape), I can't see them spending the R&D money on a major product change like that.
It kinda boggles the mind how they would accomplish putting a slide out on a Casita since the trailer sides are curved. Not to mention having to strengthen the area around the opening. That would definitely take some serious engineering.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I wonder if it was actually Frank F's old (former) Scamp, that he modified with a rear slide out section. Here's some discussion of it, back when Frank had it up for sale.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Was it red?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #10

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I'd much rather see Casita come out with a 21 footer than one with a slide-out!
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellduh326 View Post
I'd much rather see Casita come out with a 21 footer than one with a slide-out!
Exactly! A poor man's Oliver…

While they're at it, dump the old-school 16'er and roll out a modern 15'er with more height, a bigger bed and bathroom-or-bunks in front, perhaps taking some cues from Parkliner.

Both could be stretched or chopped versions of the 17' design, though adding a little width and height in a 21'er would be nice. Make a clean break from the Boler heritage.

Psst… don't tell Scamp...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

While they're at it, dump the old-school 16'er and roll out a modern 15'er with more height, a bigger bed and bathroom-or-bunks in front, perhaps taking some cues from Parkliner.

Both could be stretched or chopped versions of the 17' design, though adding a little width and height in a 21'er would be nice. Make a clean break from the Boler heritage.

I already have taken the liberty of telling Scamp about the Patriot.
It turns out that even while the 16 and the 5er have experienced huge increases in sales, the Scamp13 is even more popular than ever, now about 70% of production.
While other fiberglass makers are guzzling the bulgemobile KOOL-AID, Scamp seems to know where the core business really is, so I am confident that the mission is safe in their hands.
Considering the history, the new Oliver wannabee would really be a rich man's Scamp, and with a standard bathroom allowing the consumption of .... wait for it....
"Poupon Dijon Mustard"
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Fun thread. Interesting to speculate. I am reading this thread to Laura. It is 11 degrees outside with a dusting of snow. I am drinking coffee and Laura is drinking tea and we are speculating about ideal lengths for egg campers if we had our egg camper company.

We are currently very happy with our Casita 17', but come retirement in several years, I can see wanting a little larger rig. However, I agree with Jon that length seems more logical than slideouts when it comes to egg campers.

Three lengths seem to make sense in our make believe start up company:

1. Small - 13' to 15'. The 13' units are just so darn cute, but 15' would add function without being too big.

2. Medium - 17' to 19'. We currently love the Casita, but the Escape 19' gives so much more elbow room and living space.

3. Large - 21' to 23'. Escape 21, Bigfoot 21, Oliver 23.5. I have been in the Escape and Oliver. Both would be ideal retirement length rigs for us. Would like to see a BF 21 since it has a dry bath. Wondering if the BF 25' would be a bit long (heavy) for our make believe start up company.

In the meantime, we will enjoy our Casita 17' and watch the egg camper industry over the next several years in terms of any innovation (length, width, slideouts, floor plans, etc). I am guessing 19' to 23' would be the ideal length for us in terms of a retirement rig.

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
...Scamp seems to know where the core business really is, so I am confident that the mission is safe in their hands...
I'll second that, Floyd!

Casita appears to be doing the same- concentrating on their core market. I'd guess a similar percentage of Casitas are 17'ers, maybe even higher. If they expand their product line, any new designs should evolve from the 17' model.

Dean, I can see a remote possibility of a 15' Casita evolving from the 17' model replacing the 16'er and using Liberty components, with a 54" or 60" transverse bed. If the loaded weight could be kept under 3000 pounds and the tongue weight under 325 pounds, it would fill a slot in their lineup for a trailer that can be pulled by a mid-sized SUV with a 3500/350 tow rating. But whether it would be profitable or not is another question. Realistically, it's cheaper just to let the 16' soldier on…

I can certainly envision the possibility of a larger model, though.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I'll second that, Floyd!

Casita appears to be doing the same- concentrating on their core market. I'd guess a similar percentage of Casitas are 17'ers, maybe even higher. If they expand their product line, any new designs should evolve from the 17' model.

Dean, I can see a remote possibility of a 15' Casita evolving from the 17' model replacing the 16'er and using Liberty components, with a 54" or 60" transverse bed. If the loaded weight could be kept under 3000 pounds and the tongue weight under 325 pounds, it would fill a slot in their lineup for a trailer that can be pulled by a mid-sized SUV with a 3500/350 tow rating. But whether it would be profitable or not is another question. Realistically, it's cheaper just to let the 16' soldier on…

I can certainly envision the possibility of a larger model, though.
I can imagine a larger Casita... maybe a 19.
Casita may feel threatened by Escape and a 19 would be something that suits the market they are after.
The real difference is that Casita has discouraged the sale of their 13 and their 16 for some years now. They are proud of the 17, and for pretty good reasons.

Scamp has never tried to push their customers toward any particular model and they are confident enough not to feel intimidated by their competition and for pretty good reasons. They still sell all they can build.
While the general market seems to be trending larger, Scamp has a solid audience for their 13.
In fact it is pretty clear that while the 13 holds a solid demand which will remain solid, its the tweeners which are loosing market share to their larger siblings and cousins.

The Scamp13 reminds me of the Mustang which seems to appeal to generation after generation, keeping its character, changing only where necessary and oblivious as a world of change swirls around it.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
An easier way to create interior space is by making a wider trailer body. In molded fiberglass, only Bigfoot makes trailers that are 8+ feet wide. All the others are around 6 1/2 feet wide. It is amazing how much perception of spaciousness this creates. When Bigfoot went out of business for a couple of years, I was seriously looking at Escape and Oliver as possible replacements. But I was disappointed that they were offering longer models, but not wider. On the down side, of course, is the increase in wind drag and weight is precisely what most FGRV owners want to avoid.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Escape does add both height and width as length increases. The 17' is 6'8" wide, the 19' is 7'0" wide, and the 21' is 7'4" wide.

I think, aesthetically, it's easier to add width to a boxier shape, like Bigfoot and Escape, than a rounded shape, like Scamp and Casita. I recall Airstream's wide body series. More space... but they just looked misproportioned, even ugly. The market ultimately rejected them (as it also rejected Airstream slide-outs).

If Casita were to introduce a longer trailer, a few more inches of width and height would be welcome, and probably wouldn't detract greatly from the exterior proportions. But from an engineering and production standpoint, it's probably easier and cheaper just to stretch the 17'.

I myself don't mind the railway car corridor vibe of long, narrow trailers- I love trains!- and for me the "perception of spaciousness" is best accomplished with windows. My wife would probably disagree, though...
Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
To build a fiberglass trailer with slide outs would require a redesigned and "engineered" trailer From what I've seen / read / heard none of the FG trailer manufacturers have an engineering dept , staffed with a competent trained engineers. The present day FG trailers appear to be more like "Seat of your Pants , Backyard Engineering " from the 60's & 70's.
I can't imagine any of the FG trailer manufacturers spending the time and capital to develope a trailer with slide outs when the FG trailer market is so small and limited .
I wish they would make a wider FG trailer but that would only lead to endless threads on how to add towing mirrors to someone's Chevy Cruz or Ford Focus , so never mind.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Talking

Quote:

Streach, highten and widen even more and add a hot tub and wood burning stove.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have you ever thought about trying to get inside a Scamp/Casita with the slideout retracted??? Best hope it doesnt fail when you get to a campground.

I'm not without my grievances on Scamps/Casitas, but I WILL hand them this on their "design"-
Longevity and simplicity= survival. That my friends has been proven.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita