Cassette toilet vs. black water flush toilet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #21

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Ontario
Registry
I have used both. I like the dump almost anywhere convenience of the cassette but not the limited capacity. The ick factors are similar. I recently purchased a 12v macerator pump for my holding tanks which allows me to dump most places I could have dumped with my cassette, notably at home after a trip.

There are a few toilets out there which prohibit cassette dumping but there are also a few dump stations which prohibit dumping if you have used chemical treatments in your holding tanks.
Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The up side to the cassette or a portta potti is you don't need a dump station.
I don't need a dump station or sewer hookups either and both of my trailers have gray and black water tanks. I've even come home with water in both tanks and dumped down the sticks 'n bricks toilet. The good part of this home built blue tote, is I can use it for either black or gray water.

Cassette or flushable loo, as long as they work for the owner... that's all that matters.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BlueToteProject.pdf (164.3 KB, 48 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Signs in the outhouses of a BC Forest Service campground that I frequent say you are NOT to dump porta pottis.
I suspect that the people who get to clean the washrooms in campgrounds with flush toilets are not happy to follow someone who dumped in their facility either.
First, I really could care less what the BC forest service campground signs say. Second, how anyone can miss in an outhouse with a porta potti deserves study. Perhaps the BC forest service has investigated. Do let us know. Third I dump my porta potti in our home toilet. Trust me, the bathroom inspector here is a lot tougher than anyone working in a camp ground.. If she can't tell I've done it, nobody can.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
..... I've even come home with water in both tanks and dumped down the sticks 'n bricks toilet.
I have an image of a stinky slinky fed through a bathroom window.

I seem to recall a member who added a dump outlet feeding to his septic tank and another who just spread the stuff. When you get your tank pumped here that's exactly what they do but it's treated first. Raz
Old 07-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Second, how anyone can miss in an outhouse with a porta potti deserves study.
Well Raz,
Its quite obvoius that you are a big fan of Porta-Potties, but I personally have had numerous campground bathroom experiences, (that I could well have done without,) while looking for a "place to go" and there was crap, pee and toilet paper all over the place. You can't tell me that this was due to anything other than some sloppy handling of Porta-Potty tanks by careless dumpers.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Signs in the outhouses of a BC Forest Service campground that I frequent say you are NOT to dump porta pottis.
I suspect that the people who get to clean the washrooms in campgrounds with flush toilets are not happy to follow someone who dumped in their facility either.
I have seen the same restrictions posted at many campgrounds in both the outhouses and the flush restrooms .I have also seen signs that state Porta potties must be dumped at the dump station only .
Looking at the mess that I often see at the dump station ,I can only imagine what the bathrooms and outhouses would end up looking like if people dumped in them. One campground owner told me that someone dumped his / her Porta potties in one of the shower stalls and they had to shut down the showers and wash down and sanitize the whole shower house.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
At one of the NOGs, one of the campers had a cassette potty. I ran into "Keith" as he was doing the "Walk of Shame" (his words not mine) on his way to the dump the cassette. So, even though I truly believe if a cassette works for you... I'll never forget his words. Made a memory!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #28
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Well Raz,
Its quite obvoius that you are a big fan of Porta-Potties, but I personally have had numerous campground bathroom experiences, (that I could well have done without,) while looking for a "place to go" and there was crap, pee and toilet paper all over the place. You can't tell me that this was due to anything other than some sloppy handling of Porta-Potty tanks by careless dumpers.
I have a small trailer. A PP is what I have. The Op asked about cassette toilets vs black tanks and I responded. My mistake. Just to set the record straight, if there is a dump station, I use it. But many NFS campgrounds have nothing but outhouses and when the PP is full, I dump. The only difference I see between dumping my PP in an outhouse and using the outhouse is the intimate contract with a less that desirable seat. As I said before, how someone misses is beyond me but then I've been to many dump stations where the previous user(s) did a less than stellar job. I'm sure we both find that equally mystifying.

As far as campground toilets, it ain't just the guy with the PP. Sunday mornings are the worst. You know that as well as I do. So Greg, with a toilet in your trailer, why would you go there? Raz
Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #29

Registry
It's called convenience. If I'm halfway across the campground, and there is a toilet building handy, I'll use it rather than walk all the way back just to go. Although sometimes I have gone back, due to the disgusting conditions I've seen in some of them.

I'm not picking on you Raz. And I agree that you are entitled to have your opinion too. I just prefer my set-up over a portable toilet. It's a personal choice.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #30

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have a cassette. It is very clean. You just fold out the nozzle, push the button on top and dump in the toilet, dump station or site sewer. I have even dumped it in a hole in the ground when boondocking. No stinky pipe to clean. If you use the chemical there is no bad smell.
To each his own...😃

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
While you are looking at the toilet filling with excrement, I am bird watching. When the hose stops vibrating, I close the black valve and open the grey tank to wash out the hose. Disconnect and rinse with sani-station hose.
I don't see anything. I don't smell anything. And I don't have to carry anything suspicious to the washrooms ( assuming they exist ).
Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
While you are looking at the toilet filling with excrement, I am bird watching...
Aah... the Great Toilet Debate! Excellent entertainment on a slow forum day...

I'm glad you have a hobby, Glenn. It helps pass the time while you're waiting in line at a crowded dump station.

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We have a cassette. It is very clean. You just fold out the nozzle, push the button on top and dump in the toilet, dump station or site sewer. I have even dumped it in a hole in the ground when boondocking. No stinky pipe to clean. If you use the chemical there is no bad smell.
To each his own...😃

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Why would anyone in their right mind dump sewage in a shallow hole in the ground ?? Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #34

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind dump sewage in a shallow hole in the ground ?? Carl
Is dumping sewage in a hole in the ground really any different than dumping in an outhouse ( Again a hole in the ground) or peeing behind a tree ?. When we camped for deer hunting (9 day season) ,we would dig a temporary pit toilet . After the season we would put lime in the hole and then fill the hole with dirt.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Is dumping sewage in a hole in the ground really any different than dumping in an outhouse ( Again a hole in the ground) or peeing behind a tree ?. When we camped for deer hunting (9 day season) ,we would dig a temporary pit toilet . After the season we would put lime in the hole and then fill the hole with dirt.
Explain that to the forest ranger, not me. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #36

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Explain that to the forest ranger, not me. Carl
The NPS allows the type of outdoor facilities that we use as long as we are 200 ft from a stream ,pond ,lake or river. Where we hunt (State , County and Federal lands ) I have never seen any formal restroom facilities in my 50 years of hunting. The deer , bear ,racoon , coyotes etc don't worry about it and neither will I.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #37

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I think I am in my right mind but maybe I should ask my wife. She may agree with you !!. In the military we dug pit toilets all the time in the field. What is the difference between an outhouse and a pit. Actually the pit is cleaner since it is being covered after use.

Here is something else to talk about. I sometimes dump my gray tank on the ground
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Here is something else to talk about. I sometimes dump my gray tank on the ground
Again, certainly not something that will endear you to many folks. Bad practice.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #39
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Again, certainly not something that will endear you to many folks. Bad practice.
Why? Grey water is mostly water with a little soap, perhaps toothpaste, and some food particles. When I camped in Utah the host asked me to dump my grey water on the nearby plants. What do you think tenters and backpackers do?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Why? Grey water is mostly water with a little soap, perhaps toothpaste, and some food particles. When I camped in Utah the host asked me to dump my grey water on the nearby plants. What do you think tenters and backpackers do?
Food particles attract rodents and the next camper might not enjoy the smell or the sight.