Cassette toilet vs. black water flush toilet - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #41
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Food particles attract rodents and the next camper might not enjoy the smell or the sight.
I said nothing of dumping at the camp site. You just assume. As for smell, it smells like soap. As for sight its gone in 5 minutes. In certain parts of the country grey water is used for watering lawns, plants, etc.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #42

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Again, certainly not something that will endear you to many folks. Bad practice.

Knew that would get it started. Like one of you said amusement on a slow forum day..
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When I was referring to sights and smells, I was referring to the macaroni in the grass at a campsite I visited. I wasn't making it up.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Why? Grey water is mostly water with a little soap, perhaps toothpaste, and some food particles. When I camped in Utah the host asked me to dump my grey water on the nearby plants. What do you think tenters and backpackers do?
I have seen trailer sewer drain caps that are made with a brass screen.
You open the drain valve for the gray tank and run the water into a 5 gallon bucket . We either use the water to put out our campfire or water the trees . Using gray water to douse a campfire makes enviromental sense to me but I am not an enviromentalist
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
ank or cassette. I'm 62 years old, and carrying a heavy cassette, and lifting it to dump it, is something that I don't want to deal with.
As I am also a mature female I could not agree with you more and it is why I will only own a trailer with holding tanks. I do carry a small portable tank for those occasions when I am parked in one spot for a week and manage to fill one of my on board tanks. I simple drain off some of the tank to the portable and take it to toilet to dump just as you would a cassette. I do not need to do that very often though .... managed to last a week without doing it recently.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Why? Grey water is mostly water with a little soap, perhaps toothpaste, and some food particles. When I camped in Utah the host asked me to dump my grey water on the nearby plants. What do you think tenters and backpackers do?
No matter how hard people try not to add food scraps and grease matter to their dish washing it happens. Dump it on the ground and it attracts all sorts of unwanted flying insects... if not for you then for then next party who happens to park near were you dumped it

In the areas I camp its a sure way to attract animals such as bears, wolfs and cougars etc , all things I like to try to avoid attacking into the camping area when possible.

its simple a seriously poor practise in regards to leaving no trace. Practically when one has a vehicle there really is no good excuse one could use for doing it.

Most back packers carry and use FAR less water than someone in a trailer does. They also do not have a vehicle with them that they could easily use to transport the dirty water out of the area. When back packing or kayaking I dig a small pit far away from the camping area and cover it so that what ever happens to be contained in will at the very least not attract flying insects.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #47

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this or any other topic. There will never be a consensus on what is discussed, as we all have different things that work better for us. This is human nature and quite normal.

What we need is to have folks express their opinion, then back out and not argue their opinion continuously. Others can take in these varying opinions and use them all to help themselves formulate their own position on the topic.

So please just say your piece and move on. And no name calling either, we are adults here, not kids in the playground.

Please refer to the Community Rules for guidelines for posting.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #48

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
The cassete toilet upgrade to Snoozy has a wheeled cassete and is entirely accesible from outside. Walk around pulling it like a carryon bag. My husband really wanted that. I am starting to understand his reasoning better
Old 07-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #49

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
I have a c-head composting toilet that I really like. No smell at all, no need to vent it, and if you don't want to do composting at home the waste is so dry it is easily dumped into a garbage bag (very dry like kitty-litter lumps and, again, no smell!) and disposed of as you would soiled diapers or bags of doggie-do. I purchased mine after my first shower backflow experience (ugh!), and would never go back. It really excels when boondocking, but if you spend all your time hooked up in a trailer park, it probably isn't for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
I have a c-head composting toilet that I really like. No smell at all, no need to vent it, and if you don't want to do composting at home the waste is so dry it is easily dumped into a garbage bag (very dry like kitty-litter lumps and, again, no smell!) and disposed of as you would soiled diapers or bags of doggie-do
May come as a surprise but for general health reason it is illegal to dump human waste into the general garbage in many places in North America. Some places such as where I live it is also illegal to dump your doggie-do into general garbage as well.

People are suppose to dump the bulk of the human waste out of diapers before dropping them into the garbage, as a "soiled" diapers is permitted in the general garbage.

A previous long thread on the topic was very enlightening to many.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could always keep it in the vegetable crisper in your fridge.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #52

Alaska
Yes, I read the other post. It is accurate in some regions, inaccurate in others. Alaska is a bit behind the times, I guess. We haven't been hyper- regulated yet. Everything I use in my RV tank is organic, and the strainer catches my food particles, which I throw into the composting toilet. Composting waste is encouraged in Alaska. The city of Fairbanks does it, and the compost they give back to the community is amazingly rich. Lots of folks still have pit toilets. Many of those have been upgrading to composters or incinerators. A shame a good resource has been squeemished out of existence in your part of the country. I don't think we'll make the same mistake here.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Everything I use in my RV tank is organic, and the strainer catches my food particles, which I throw into the composting toilet. Composting waste is encouraged in Alaska. The city of Fairbanks does it, and the compost they give back to the community is amazingly rich. Lots of folks still have pit toilets. Many of those have been upgrading to composters or incinerators. A shame a good resource has been squeemished out of existence in your part of the country. I don't think we'll make the same mistake here.

Actually composting has been warmly embraced for years in my part of the county. In fact composting is so BIG that we are not permitted to put organic matter into our general garbage either.

Homeowners either have their own large composting bin or they use the separate local government issued containers that are picked up once a week at the curb for organic waste. It is then taken to a very large composting facility run off to the side of the local garbage processing facitly. We can go there and buy by the truck load composted material for our gardens.

Its simple the disposal of human and animal waste into general garbage that has been banned for public health reasons.

The issue with using small composting toilets in trailers is that just because something has been dumped into a holding tank that is called a composter does not mean it instantly breaks down and becomes composted!
Old 07-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #54

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...Its simple the disposal of human and animal waste into general garbage that has been banned for public health reasons...
So what is the local protocol for disposing of doggie poo and used cat litter?

As to diapers, having changed a few myself, baby poo isn't exactly something you can shake into the toilet… what do people use to get it off the diaper and into the toilet? Something else that has to be thrown away? Who checks to make sure diapers are cleaned before disposal?

I'm old enough to remember diaper pails. As a 4-year-old I remember the time I pushed it over onto the bathroom floor just to see the effect. My mother discovered the misdeed when something started dripping from the ceiling in the laundry room below where she was working. I'll not forget the spanking I got for that one!

I guess I'll just be thankful we don't travel with a pet, a baby, or an onboard toilet. A supply of sanitizing wipes on hand helps with public facilities that are less than desirably clean.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
So what is the local protocol for disposing of doggie poo and used cat litter?
Same as you should do with bulk amounts of baby poo - flush it down the toilet.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #56

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have had both systems and I now use a porta potty. I perfer the stinky slinky except for the fact that I am still working. So it is more common I am leaving the camp ground on Sunday so the lines at the dump stations really suck. Just too much hassle. We down sized from a 22ft motor home to a 13 foot Scamp. I do not miss the bathroom and perfer dumping the porta potty every other day while it is still light. We mainly use the porta potty late at night and use the camp ground facilities most of the time unless we are boondocking. I perfer to dump the porta potty at home or in a johny on the spot. If you have black and grey tanks build a dump station at home. This makes all the hassle go away.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #57

Alaska
Composting, when done correctly, kills off pathogens. Not sure why human and animal waste is not included in your organic waste collection. Flushing waste when water is in such short supply seems... sad.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #58

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suspect there're several reasons. One, local legislators may not believe it will necessarily be done correctly. Two, public health officials tend to err on the side of caution. Three, the general public probably doesn't know a lot about how they work. People fear what they don't understand.

They are already being used in public facilities in areas where water is not available, such as popular Grand Canyon trails below the rim and at least one highway rest stop. The photo shows a beautiful facility at the bottom of Salt River Canyon about an hour from my home. I don't think most people are even aware it's a composting design. Like a vault toilet, minus the smell. None.

Name:   CanyonRestStop.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  11.0 KB

As water supplies dwindle in many areas of the continent, I've no doubt we'll all be learning more as time goes on.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #59

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I don't need no stinkin' composter...
Attached Thumbnails
Bear in the Woods.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #60

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Composting, when done correctly, kills off pathogens. Not sure why human and animal waste is not included in your organic waste collection. Flushing waste when water is in such short supply seems... sad.
Our municipal compost program accepts anything organic. From the kitchen this is any wastes of vegetable or meat, even tissue and paper towel, and from the yard any and all waste including dog bombs.

They do not mention human waste in their guidelines, in fact there is no reason you could not compost it with the program, but I suspect collection might be an issue with most.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote