Cassette toilet vs. black water flush toilet - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #61

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Steve..the bear pic and implication is TOO funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I don't need no stinkin' composter...
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #62

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
#62 postings about going potty. What a popular subject
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #63

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
The solids are pretty indistinguishable from dog bombs after the sawdust or sphagnum has desiccated it a bit. So I guess that may be the answer, folks. If the composting powers-that-be don't expressly forbid it, go for it. If they do forbid it, follow your conscience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #64

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
Composting, when done correctly, kills off pathogens. Not sure why human and animal waste is not included in your organic waste collection.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Its the collection and handling of the poop to get it to the large public composting faciltiy that is the health issue & why it is not permitted in general garbage and or the designated curb side composting bins.

Nothing stopping people from putting the doggy and cat pop into their own back yard composter as many do

Also know a number of folks who have tapped into their sewage line in their back yard and simple drop the doggy down into it. Same as you would do if you were to set up your own RV dump station at home.

No water wasted in either case.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #65

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A previous long thread on the topic was very enlightening to many.
When I read that last thread I thought, man I haven't seen trash rules so strict since I was on Vancouver Island. Then I saw you were from BC and the bulb went off.

Trash rules in the rest of North America are not like BC, most are not even close. Maybe we will catch up some day, maybe we won't.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
When I read that last thread I thought, man I haven't seen trash rules so strict since I was on Vancouver Island. Then I saw you were from BC and the bulb went off.

Trash rules in the rest of North America are not like BC, most are not even close. Maybe we will catch up some day, maybe we won't.
I don't think Alberta is that much different with the rules and regulations regarding recycling, compost, etc. Sometimes it seems to vary from one municipality to another.

What I have noticed with travelling through the US, is a lack of recycling containers at campgrounds. It seems everything goes into the garbage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My buddy has 4 dogs and during the
winter it's hard to clean up after them especially if we get a foot of snow . Come Spring he shovels up the mess into a 55 gallon metal drum , mixes the waste with sawdust , adds some fuel oil and burns everything up into ash . Then he spreads the ash on his fields and plants a cover crop.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #68

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Allot of progressive areas in the lower 48 require that the trash be sorted at the refuse center or separated at the home and it still gets sorted at the refuse center. If you look at the financial reports from waste haulers they make far more money on recyclables than the fees they get on dumping trash as a service. In my area they want us to sort our trash but then they have issues with street urchins walking off with the cream of their crop. So much so they have laws restricting access to the recycle cans but the trash can itself is fair game. These laws don't work well at the street level.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #69

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't think Alberta is that much different with the rules and regulations regarding recycling, compost, etc. Sometimes it seems to vary from one municipality to another.

What I have noticed with travelling through the US, is a lack of recycling containers at campgrounds. It seems everything goes into the garbage.
I haven't been through much of Canada, but really enjoyed Vancouver Island. The amount of time we spent on separating and packaging trash was absurd, but I think a lot of that was because we were unaccustomed to doing so.

In Texas we have recycling bins at our home, but the don't have us separate, so I question whether it doesn't all just go into the same dump. Like you said, may vary widely by locality.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #70

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post

Yup the Province of BC's slogan is "Super Natural British Columbia". In order to keep it that way there needs to be some rules.

As Jim mentioned I do not believe we are the only place in NA with such rules. In fact I know we are not. Have been to a number of places in the US with many of the same rules. But like Jim I am also taken by surprise as to how many places in the US little is taking place in regards to even the most basic recycling. Have been known to pack around a lot of recyclable items all seperated out in the back of the vehicle, until I hit a place I can recycle them. I know I am not the only person who travels through the states doing that - I know more than a few American's that do it as well.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:44 AM   #71

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I know I am not the only person who travels through the states doing that - I know more than a few American's that do it as well.
Here's another one for you Carol......since 1972.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
In my area they want us to sort our trash but then they have issues with street urchins walking off with the cream of their crop. So much so they have laws restricting access to the recycle cans but the trash can itself is fair game. These laws don't work well at the street level.
We have the same situation here Steve. In the early hours on garbage day you will see the folks with shopping carts going along and sorting through the recycling boxes and bags. Along with the local black bears checking out the green/organic boxes

We are actually not suppose to put in the recycling system refundable items, we are suppose to return them for refund ourselves. So no laws against another party picking them out of your recycling bin on the street or if there are, I am unaware of them and they are not enforced in anyway.

It not a big concern as at the end of the day the item is being recycled and someone in need is getting the benefit from it & its not going to a landfill which is what the whole system is about.

Bigger concern is the people that you see going through the paper recycling bags. Those are the folks who are up to no good. People need to shrewd any mail with their Social Security and/or detailed banking info on it before putting it into the recycling bag/box.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #73

Texas
Quote:
Yup the Province of BC's slogan is "Super Natural British Columbia". In order to keep it that way there needs to be some rules.
No doubt, I had a great time visiting your beautiful neck of the woods.

I think the key difference is that once I put something in my bin I know that no other human will ever have to touch it. The truck tips the bin into the truck, the truck dumps into a handling area where bulldozers move the trash into piles to be buried.

As compared to the system in BC, I don't really have to worry about the guy picking up the bin and looking through my recyclables. I think that is a key consideration when discussing human waste in the trash: will there be any human interaction with the waste.