cast iron question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #15

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
All I know about is Cast Iron is that if it wasn't for Bessemer we would be driving around in Cast Iron Automobiles.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #16

Name: Oscar
Trailer: Trillium 4500 Jubilee 1979
Registry
Toss a crudded up one in a camp fire. To clean yesterdays greasy one - heat it -dump salt in and paper towel it.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #17

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
I do the same as Oscar. When i find the cast iron skillet or griddle sticky or has burned-on crud, I simply leave it in the hot coals of the fire overnight and in the morning, as little wipe and oil it and it's good to go.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #18

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
So many answers - thanks guys!

Personally speaking, I wash my cast iron as necessary (which isn't every every time) and wipe with an oily paper towel once dry.

Seems like the question was an interesting one though.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #19

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
I use my Cast Iron daily. I got tired of eating Teflon. I wash mine, towel dry, and put on a hot burner and wipe a little oil with a paper towel. Mine are form the 60's and 70's. Some were my mothers. I keep the big heavy ones on a shelf in the basement. I put them in the hot BBQ grill a couple of times over the years to burn off the gunk on the outsides but I then have to season them. I use the grill instead of the oven so it doesn't smoke and stink up the house.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #20
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
All I know about is Cast Iron is that if it wasn't for Bessemer we would be driving around in Cast Iron Automobiles.

Interesting point, Darwin. Does that mean instead of waxing the outside of the automobile we would "season" it instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My engine is very well seasoned with oil! I like to get cookin' on the expressway, too.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I just bought a cast iron griddle, 27 pounds, 16" x 24"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #23

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
The best way to season a cast iron pot or pan is to fry fish, cracklins, bacon etc. in it several times and clean with salt.

The best way to clean a seasoned cast iron pan or pot is to scrub it clean with salt and very little water, then rinse. Salt removes anything that might have stuck and will kill just about anything Ask the Carthaginians). Cleaning with salt leaves a light coat of oil in the pan to prevent corosion.

The biggest problem with cast iron today is that it is only cast. My old pots and pans, including my griddle Norm, Have milled cooking surfaces. If you are buying new and can't find milled surfaces, look for ceramic coated cast iron, which will compete with most non-stick surfaces and don't require any seasoning at all.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #24

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
My 14" and 12" Lodge dutch ovens have been used for 25 years , campfire cooking with wood or charcoal. I'm finicky about cleanliness with food handling but have never felt it necessary to wash them out unless food got burnt into them. In camp I'll clean them by heating up water in them, wiping them out and wiping them inside and out with oil. I never scour them;it will invite rust.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:38 AM   #25
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Cast iron is high temperature cookware. Unlike boiling at 212*F, oil is typically heated to over 300*F. I suspect that's why wiping is all you need on a well seasoned pan. Raz
Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ceramic coated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post

The biggest problem with cast iron today is that it is only cast. My old pots and pans, including my griddle Norm, Have milled cooking surfaces. If you are buying new and can't find milled surfaces, look for ceramic coated cast iron, which will compete with most non-stick surfaces and don't require any seasoning at all.
The griddle arrived before your post. It's surface looks flat and smooth though I doubt it was milled. We'll see how it works in the morning.

We purchased two Ceramic frying pans for the trailer. They are wonderful. Nothing ever sticks and they always look brand new.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #27
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The griddle arrived before your post. It's surface looks flat and smooth though I doubt it was milled. We'll see how it works in the morning.

We purchased two Ceramic frying pans for the trailer. They are wonderful. Nothing ever sticks and they always look brand new.
About a year ago Maggie purchased a cast iron Dutch oven. After lots of research, she bought the plain cast iron Lodge.. There were lots of complaints about the ceramic version. Apparently Lodge had moved production over seas on their ceramic cookware and the manufacturer hadn't quite figured things out. I recently discovered that a local wood stove manufacturer, Vermont Castings, was subcontracting the plain cast for Lodge while they were renovating there factory. Good chance Maggies pot was made 25 miles from here. Hard to tell where anything's made these days! Raz
Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #28

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Now that you have the griddle home, is it really 27 pounds? That's more than I would like to lug around.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV