cast iron question - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
cast iron question

I guess there is always another question. When talking about cast iron frying pans the other day someone mentioned seasoning. One person knew nothing about this process and listened carefully to the description of how to do it (knowing he will buy something made of cast iron someday).

Then came the question - and I have NEVER before heard this one - "Why not just put it in the oven when you run the SelfClean cycle"???

What do you think? Is it doable?? Will the fat ignite???

Old 03-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Marilyn and I argued over this quite a bit!
I don't think they should never be washed!
Rinse and wipe with a paper towel is what I've always said.
All a self clean oven will do is turn the grease in the cast to carbon
and make it useless till it's soaked in grease again.
IMO
Fred

Old 03-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Suggest you Google "Seasoning Lodge Cast Iron" and follow the instructions there. More heat doesn't translate into better seasoning. No point adding fat to the pan if you are going to turn it into ash.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #4

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I haven't ever tried it with my cast iron, but I have done it with my stoneware. The oven gets so hot that it took off all the baked on grease and made it look like new. Having seen it do this, I would be reluctant to put my cast iron in there. I suspect it would take off all that wonderful seasoning that I've spent a few years building up.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:44 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Don't see where anyone tells you not to wash them, just need to re-oil them after you do so. We wash or scrub them as needed with scotch pads to remove the fried on crud, and re-oil.

If I told my wife she couldn't wash them they'd get tossed out.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
So this is what we've always done. After using it we wash it. Then we place it in the oven until completely dried. After its cooled we put a small amount of cooking oil on a paper towel and wipe down the inside putting a light coating on the inside. That's what my mom always did so right or wrong that's what we now do.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pretty much the same here, except we only wash it when necessary and with the least amount of detergent possible. And never, never, ever use cast iron for acidic (e.g., tomato-based) recipes. Learned that one the hard way.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The purpose of using the oven cleaning cycle is to remove seasoning and built up deposits. Then seasoning needs to be reapplied to prevent rusting of the raw iron. Seasoning is usually done at temperatures like 350 to 450 degrees F. Coat with a thin layer of oil or shortening and leave in the oven for several hours. A well seasoned cast iron pan can be washed occasional with soap.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

British Columbia
Reading the Lodge seasoning instructions, I learned to coat the pan lightly and put it in the oven upside down. That prevents oil from pooling in the bottom. Aluminum foil in the bottom of the oven collects excess oil.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #10

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro
California
Registry
I've used cast iron pans all my life and I always wash them after each use. The trick is to let it dry on the stove top with the flame on high, then when it still hot yet not to hot I pour a little oil and them wipe it with a paper towel. As far as putting it through a oven cleaning cycle I wouldn't do that because the oven gets to hot and the oven door is locked shut. But I do put my stove top grates in there when it's cleaning and they always come through fine. So I really do t know that answer.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
There's something about re-using an unwashed frying pot or pan that bothers me. So I have to ask... if it's not unsanitary to re-use an unwashed cast iron pan (let's say, several days after last use), why do we wash our other (stainless steel, teflon, etc) pans? Why do we wash our dishes?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #12

British Columbia
The whole point of seasoning the pan is so that food residue doesn't stick. If you wash with a little mild dish detergent and water, the seasoning will remain, but the food residue will be gone.
Sometimes, just wiping with a paper towel takes care of it.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
There's something about re-using an unwashed frying pot or pan that bothers me. So I have to ask... if it's not unsanitary to re-use an unwashed cast iron pan (let's say, several days after last use), why do we wash our other (stainless steel, teflon, etc) pans? Why do we wash our dishes?
Heat kills germs, so it's not about that, but about how the particular type of cookware was designed to be used. The goal with cast iron is to remove food residue without disturbing the seasoning. Tableware is another matter. It does not get heated to temperatures that kill germs, so it should be sanitized between uses.

Or maybe its a matter of what I don't know won't hurt me…
Old 03-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have always been able to clean my well seasoned cast iron with just water and a copper "Chore Boy" scouring pad, followed with a wipe out with a paper towel. I rarely oil then since I turn the skillet upside down over the center of a double-bowl sink and let it dry thoroughly. I do use a little oil before each use. I have died from not sand-blasting my cast iron clean yet.