Caution for those that use and electric heater. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Caution for those that use and electric heater.

Electric heater fire.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And, what is the caution?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Gee Glen, you are usually so attentive.. I'm suprised you missed it.
Its a Flood Warning!

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #5

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Make sure your smoke detectors are working maybe?
Get a louder dog?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

I thought it was 'don't buy a motor home'.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #7

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Tips from a retired fire investigator...

Most space heaters (gas and electric) work on the radiant heat method. The heat produced from the glowing elements travels in a straight line until it strikes an object (usually furniture or a wall), which is then warmed up. Very little heat is sent up into the air to warm the interior of the RV. The furnishings that receive the heat rays eventually warm the air.

So-o-o-o, it gets cold in your trailer. First you pile on the blankets. When that still won't do, you turn on the space heater. Because of the insulation of the blankets, you can't feel the heat coming off the space heater under the covers, so you move the space heater closer and closer to the bed-until it's too close.

The next thing you know, the bedclothes are on fire while you slumber blissfully unaware. Tragedy usually follows.

Best rule of thumb for space heaters-keep at least three feet between the heater and anything that can burn (not only on the sides, but above). And even at three feet away, use your hand as a thermometer. If you lay your hand on the closest object to the heater and it's too hot to leave your hand there, the heater is too close.

Don't use an extension cord from the outlet to the electric space heater cord, and it's best not to coil any excess cord up-which creates an induction coil that can produce heat on it's own.
CasitaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Good advice Rick. Thanks! I use a little electric fan heater a lot and the main lesson here is always to be cautious and never become complacent....

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Gee Rick, how do you get 3' of clearance in all directions in an FGRV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

That's easy, just put the heater outside!
Dave Chatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #11

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Well at least try to get three feet of clearance in the direction the heat comes out. Underneath, either side, or behind, probably not an issue but use the "hand thermometer" test to be safe.
CasitaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Thats a good point. My plan was (is) to use a Wave 3 heater with legs but when I actually read the instructions and noted the minimum clearances, well it made me wish I had ordered the furnace after all. There is only one place to set it for temporary use where it will be safe from the dog, and might meet minimum clearances.

So this is something good to consider when using any heater in a camper.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Thats a good point. My plan was (is) to use a Wave 3 heater with legs but when I actually read the instructions and noted the minimum clearances, well it made me wish I had ordered the furnace after all. There is only one place to set it for temporary use where it will be safe from the dog, and might meet minimum clearances.

So this is something good to consider when using any heater in a camper.
I've just recently gotten my Scamp 13, have spent several evenings in it, working and just getting used to it. Mostly I used an old electric cube that I had. I've definitely found that the low, 750 watt setting gives the best and most consistent heat as opposed to the 1500 watt setting. I've found multiple places to set the heater without it heating up surrounding walls/cabinets to any significant degree.

I bought a Mr. Heater to use, since I know I will be boon docking in cold weather, so wanted to try it out as well. Kept on the low setting, if warmed the Scamp up toasty warm, but I did not find it overheated any of the structures. I kept it mostly next to the bathroom door, pointing back towards the dinette. Two lessons learned: 1) Do an initial burn of a new heater outdoors to burn off any oils etc. from manufacture. 2) Open ventilation windows PRIOR to lighting the heater. Both of these lessons were learned on the initial lighting of the heater. Within about 20-30 seconds, both my CO detector and the smoke/fire detector were going off.

At least I know they are working properly. Only took a very short time to ventilate the trailer, then the heater worked well.

I would feel comfortable sleeping with the electric heater on, not so much with the propane - it is for use when it can be monitored only - sleeping bags for night. It can warm the trailer very quickly once you get up.

Pets would be a problem with the propane heater on the floor, but I do see that they include keyholes one the back of the heater for mounting it on a wall. I have seen folks who have this same heater mounted to the door of a van, so I guess it could be used that way if you have pets or small kids to worry about.

Caution, always and testing thoroughly until you know how things work.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ceramic cube heaters have lower surface temperatures. A good one is compact, quieter that a cheap open-coil forced air heater, and probably safer, too.

I had one in a previous RV, and it was great. I wish now I hadn't let it go with the camper. I recall it cost around $50, and that was 20 years ago. It was worth the money, IMO.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaRick View Post
Tips from a retired fire investigator...

Most space heaters (gas and electric) work on the radiant heat method. The heat produced from the glowing elements travels in a straight line until it strikes an object (usually furniture or a wall), which is then warmed up. Very little heat is sent up into the air to warm the interior of the RV. The furnishings that receive the heat rays eventually warm the air.

So-o-o-o, it gets cold in your trailer. First you pile on the blankets. When that still won't do, you turn on the space heater. Because of the insulation of the blankets, you can't feel the heat coming off the space heater under the covers, so you move the space heater closer and closer to the bed-until it's too close.

The next thing you know, the bedclothes are on fire while you slumber blissfully unaware. Tragedy usually follows.

Best rule of thumb for space heaters-keep at least three feet between the heater and anything that can burn (not only on the sides, but above). And even at three feet away, use your hand as a thermometer. If you lay your hand on the closest object to the heater and it's too hot to leave your hand there, the heater is too close.

Don't use an extension cord from the outlet to the electric space heater cord, and it's best not to coil any excess cord up-which creates an induction coil that can produce heat on it's own.
Excellent advice and explanation. I would like to add a few words about the extension cords. All electric wires get warm, including extension cords. Leaving a part of an extension cord coiled up and plugging in a high power load (such a space heater) causes more heat being concentrated in a small space, hence greater temperature rise. The induction is negligible, the current flows in opposite directions inside the cord, after all. I once had my work bench powered by a long extension cord and some of it was coiled up. Everything was fine for my hand drill, grinder, fluorescent light, and such, until I ran a space heater from it. The coiled cord melted, shorted and threw the breaker to teach me a lesson: don't leave part of an extension cord coiled up, unless the power is low. Think. Better, never leave it coiled up. That was a dumb idea...

The second lesson is that using a two conductor extension cord requires another caution. If the load on the far end of the cord is inductive, such as an AC (air conditioning) compressor on top of the Scamp, you may end up with a few dozen Volts AC (alternating current) on the AC unit frame, and if you stand on an aluminum ladder and touch it, you get a buzz! I did and measured about 40 Volts AC. Think again.

Do they still sell any two-wire cords these days? I have not bought one in ages.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote