CB Radio... got it for free! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Hi Folks -
I got an old 23 channel CB radio and antennae at no cost and was wondering if it's worth installing in the tug. I had a CB radio 30 years ago and enjoyed it. Is CB active at all these days? It would be a boon for checking traffic conditions when on the road. Do truckers still use channel 19? Feedback from any CB'ers out there would be appreciated. Thanks - Alec

+
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Former 1989 Bigfoot owner
I use a CB in my pickup. There is still a lot of unfit language and silly stuff going on, but when on a busy highway with traffic jams, you get to know whats going on.
Don't forget that its only good for 3 to 5 mile reception, depending on location, hills, weather etc. Yes channel 19 is still the truckers choice.
Harry Gaudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #3

Thanks Harry! Alec
Old 01-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
It might cost less to buy a pair of GMRS/FRS handhelds with a 10 mile range than to install that old CB.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
10 miles with FRS only if the other radio is atop Mt. Ranier

Wife and I used to compute in separate cars along the same route for 15 miles until I had to exit. We used FRS. Tried 3 different brands and never achieved more than 1/2 mile from vehicle to vehicle on the freeway. If you lose sight of each other it's time for the cell phones. We still use FRS when we caravan and around a campsight. But FRS, just like CB, has its limits which are far greater than the manufacturers claim. Tom Trostel
Old 01-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We never travel without the CB. When you see a developing problem, turn it on and go to the truckers ch 19 and you will hear the info of what's up.

Very celdom talk on the thing.

Family radio: The truckers don't use them however we take along a pair also to use when backing up so we can talk to each other. They cost almost nothing at a pawn shop.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
I had an old 23 channel sears, nice radio unless my buddies when to channel 24 on me Have one in the tug, will put one in the car once the insurance is done and we get another. Plan on installing one in the scamp, just have to pick up a FG antenna for a bumper mount configuration. I like traveling with them, you can get by with a magnet mount antenna, it will scratch the paint though, there are other options. I drilled a hole in my roof which gives the best results for signal with a high quality roof mounted antenna (antenna is as or more important then the radio sometimes). There is also a bracket mount to go in the lip of the trunk or hood and also a radio/CB antenna or glass mount antenna, but the signal quality suffers. Depending on your tug, there are many options, permanent or temporary installations, as I mentioned, the magnet mount is usually the easiest to mount, just ensure your SWR is set properly with any installation.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 72 Boler
I used to CB long time ago but now I am a HAM
mmmmmm some say that's my pesonality
CB is good especially in an emergncy!!!
Lew
Lew King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As an FYI, in the case of a NATIONAL EMERGENCY, a large number of communications are going to be going out over CBs, Hams, etc.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I used to CB long time ago but now I am a HAM
mmmmmm some say that's my pesonality
CB is good especially in an emergncy!!!
Lew
I am a HAM also, VA3STE, just have to get the wife to get her license. For now the CB is better then the FRS I find.
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
KB1GNI here.

Go get your amateur radio license, Al. It's very easy, the test is only 35 multiple choice questions and you don't have to know any Morse code.
If you are interested I'm sure I could hook you up with someone in the area that would be glad to help.
I wish I had got my license long ago. I've found hams to be just about the freindliest, most helpful group of people I've run across.
Amateur radio has a far greater range than CB and the quality of the conversations you'll find there aren't even in the same league. No swearing or acting like an idiot, hams tend to police our own.

That said, I'll sometimes throw a CB in the car if I'm taking a road trip. Occasionally you can find some useful information between all the rest of the garbage that is all too common.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We never travel without the CB. When you see a developing problem, turn it on and go to the truckers ch 19 and you will hear the info of what's up.

Very celdom talk on the thing.
My Dad has always had a CB in his car. He used to maintain the 2-way radios in the NY State Troopers Patrol cars, when the old (pre-1980's) AT&T had that contract. Mom never liked it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
While the CB has greater range, I still prefer the better portability of Family Service Radios.
We also use our while traveling together on a rod run or cruise!
No need to mess with an antenna either
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
10 miles with FRS only if the other radio is atop Mt. Ranier

Uh...Tom, the fine print says GMRS/FRS.........which is the way many inexpensive GMRS radios - you know - the longer range radio service units, are bundled.......
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 72 Boler
Shawn

My call here is VE6CHJ
Alberta, Canada
I'm in the call book!

Lew

I like my phonetics
Love easy whiskey

Lew King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
One of the enduring sub-codes is "73" meaning "Best regards."
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:51 AM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
KC0UKR Here-the "Ugly Kenwood Radio" as they call me.

I have said this before ,the Ham community is very much like the community found here to me.

That is why I proudly proclaim as my Hobbies- HAM & EGG !

The C.B. radio though also is very useful when I travel. I always have one handy and monitor when there is any incident on the road. I am usually able to get instant info from other C.B. ers ahead of me and sometimes I can detour around the problem.

Anyone can become a HAM as was mentioned above,there are copies of the exam questions available online and you can take a virtual test online with the exact questions required until you get it right and then go take the real test.
Many people have gotten into it that way.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
About 20-25 years ago, I used to have a CB and my 2 M rig side by side over head in my bus camper....was chatting with a fella in the highway patrol on my ham rig and cleared with him...about a mile down the road there was a semi approaching followed by an unmarked police car just covered in antennas...I grabbed my mike, keyed it, and let the semi know that there was a plain brown wrapper on his back door......what came back was "you got the wrong mike"...boy did I ever feel dumb.....same smokey that I was chatting with on 2M.......after that I made double sure I had the right mike in my hand......anyways...now I don`t have a CB, although found that the CB was handier than the VHF rig, and now am inactive on the ham bands, (antiquated gear), almost the last time I was on, I was still on RTTY,...when the contests came in I went out....I was a rag chewer with many interesting people around the world....maybe I`ll dust off the old FT-101E and give the 6 element Super Thunderbird a spin and see what`s on, LOL......best 73's....88's, if applicable...( if it hasn`t been outlawed) LOL...Ben.... VE4AIS
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #19

Thanks Fellows - this has been a fun thread to read. I installed the CB by wiring a 12v plug to it and using the accessory plug - why go to the bother of hard wiring it if it doesn't work? Good thing I did - she's dead as a doornail. She'll light up for a second and then drop out. In anycase, nothing invested, so no loss. But I do feel inspired to go out and get a new one now! They are pretty cheap - looks like you can get a decent mobile rig and antennae for not much over 100 dollars (US). I'll wait until the upholstry is done though - Thanks for all the feedback! Alec