CB radio in BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Last time i drove the Cassair I got overtaken and swooshed by logging trucks many times. I think I heard somewhere that if you squeak on the radio they will tell you where they are and which way there are headed. Does Canada share the same CB frequencies as USA? Where would you expect loggers to be talkative (channel numbers)?

Is there a law against linear amps there too? (not that I have one, ya know )
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1970 Boler
No amp law hear.

Same frequencies

Truckers in Canada always use Channel 1.

Some of the specific logging roads in BC use FM bands to comminicate with one another direct
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I don't think there's a law in the US regarding amps either, BUT there IS a law regarding max transmitted power (4W on AM) and the basic radio is usually already emitting that so using a amplifier of any sort automatically puts you over the max -- Canada reportedly also limits AM to 4W. So it isn't exactly the Amp that's illegal, it's the effect of *using* the amp that's illegal.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
I don't think there's a law in the US regarding amps either, BUT there IS a law regarding max transmitted power (4W on AM) and the basic radio is usually already emitting that so using a amplifier of any sort automatically puts you over the max -- Canada reportedly also limits AM to 4W. So it isn't exactly the Amp that's illegal, it's the effect of *using* the amp that's illegal.
Indeed the law in the US is about [b]transmitting max watts not [b]owning a device that does the transmitting. You should be an attorney, Pete. ROFL!

The US law (unless it has changed in the last eight yeas) is 4 watts AM or 12 Watts single side band. I was interested in what the RCMP would have to say if, by chance, I hit the send switch with thirty pounds of poop... not that I would you understand. Just wanted to hear from Canadians who knew.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I always have my CB set at channel 19. Most truckers do also. I never heard of truckers on channel 1 unless this is some thing new that i have not heard about.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I was interested in what the RCMP would have to say if, by chance, I hit the send switch with thirty pounds of poop... not that I would you understand. Just wanted to hear from Canadians who knew.
Hey cowboy what's that big hot box under your seat? We would never do that either.

Actually I'm glad you asked about this, it's good information to file away in the memory banks.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 1970 Boler

There is no 'CB police' of the RCMP anyway.

19 is the norm but most truckers are using channel 1 in BC. The East Indian truckers use 7.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
There is no 'CB police' of the RCMP anyway.

19 is the norm but most truckers are using channel 1 in BC. The East Indian truckers use 7.
That good to know----Its new to me.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's not usually local police business if you are radiating too much power, it's the business of the agency in charge of frequencies and such -- Dunno what it is in Canada, but in the US it's the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) who enforces the federal law.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....last I tuned in, channel 1 on the FRS radios was like channel 9 on CB/s (emergency use only), but I'll admit it has been 20 years since I used a Big 10~100!! (can I say THAT on here?? LOL)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #11

Quote:
It's not usually local police business if you are radiating too much power, it's the business of the agency in charge of frequencies and such -- Dunno what it is in Canada, but in the US it's the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) who enforces the federal law.
Now I know you have a law degree! LOL!

But in point of fact the FCC often (or used to be often 30 years ago) worked with a state's DOT to set up traps with the highway patrol acting as "smokies with ears" or some such name. The cops always monitored the CB trucks and the "heat" the signals gave off and helped radio ahead to the DOT to flag them in. The Feds often hold sway over the state DOTs I have noticed. All this to ask my original question about BC and their take on things with their RCMP.

Anyway this is from a time long past.. things have changed I guess and I just want to obey the law and so I would never dream of breaking it with a linear amplifier! NEVER! So all this is, I supposes, a rhetorical question

Thanks for your input, Pete.