cell phone amplifier & add-on antenna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
There was a recent thread about which cell phone network is best for poor reception areas and I thought I'd relate a personal experience about a different answer to this problem. Last fall my wife and I met my son and his fiancee at Big Bend National Park for a long weekend. We stayed at the Chisos Basin lodge and had no cell phone coverage. My son makes several trips a year to BB and was our guide. He had us drive over the ridge by the Lost Mine Trail, park the car, and attached a Wilson Electronics amplifier and antenna to one of our cell phones, and voila; we had coverage.

I don't know if the amplifier and antenna will work for everyone; but, it sure did for us.

Tom Trostel
Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Tom,

The amplifier probably helped with the signal and you were on the correct side of the Basin for a good chance for service. The small cell tower is located behind the Panther Junction headquarters.

It sure has been nice to have some cell service available while visiting Big Bend, instead of having to use expensive pay phones.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
An amplifier sounds like a good thing. Probably would make a difference in some situations. We don't use an amplifier. Sometimes moving over 50-100 feet makes a successful call possible. Climbing a hill almost always works. We use cellular phones with analog and digital capability. If your owners manual says AMPS capability, that's analog. Phones with only digital (2G) capability aren't very effective in remote areas like ours (hilly with not many cell towers). BTW, we have Golden State Cellular (Verizon) and a Nokia 6015.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The amplifier usually has its own antenna, better than that of the cell phone, so it's a double-whammy for a better signal -- One can also improve basic cell phone reception by use of an external antenna if one exists for the particular phone model (see the Wilson Antenna Company's web site for specifics).

BTW, the expensive coin phones in BBNP are by special decree because of the distances that were involved to get the basic wired services out to the park in the first place -- That's why it even costs to call a 1-800 number.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe (Modified)
Send a message via ICQ to LindyW2
Talking

I did the same thing using the Maximum Signal amplifier and it works both in the casita at home and in the car(12volt)
It also works excellent with a Data service from Cell Company for your Computer
Where I live in a Valley If we went outside and found a spot the Cell phone would work after getting the Amplifier we get 2 to 3 bars in the house in the Casita it really improved cell phone service in most areas no bars would go to 2 or 3 bars

http://www.maximumsignal.net/xcart/product...=1&featured

http://www.maximumsignal.net/xcart/home.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laptop_and_cell_phone_booster_4__Small_.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	6180
LindyW2 is offline   Reply With Quote