Cell Phone Ban While Driving - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Research has shown hands-free is just as bad as hands-on but the laws always allow hands-free so I don't know what good they are doing.

Audiobooks don't distract me from the road but they do sometimes make me miss an exit unless I'm using GPS. There is no visual to the audiobook. I won't talk on a cell phone and drive as that definitely distracts me.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita

Name:   driving_20ban.gif
Views: 18
Size:  26.4 KB

ALL States should do this.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I really don't know why the federal government is not getting involved. They can drive a lot of action using their the control of highway funds.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Have you given any thought to how this can be enforced?
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee

That "but they do sometimes make me miss an exit" is the distraction.

Listening to words whether audio books or a phone call is more distracting than just music which you simply tap your foot to. It's the concentration which is needed to discern the words and their meaning.

Yes, enforcement is the big problem. There just aren't enough cops to catch people driving recklessly, which is easier to spot, let alone using a cell phone. It's another law on the books to add to the multitude of others, which is not really all that enforceable.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Missing an exit is being personally distracted from my own goal, not distracted from driving carefully and safely. They are two different things. I can drive safely without any idea where I am or where I'm going but if I want to take a particular exit I have to know where I am and be watching for the exit (assuming my GPS is off.) Not the same kind of distraction.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #21
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
From today's, 20 March 2010, San Angelo Standard-Times

AUSTIN, Texas ó FRANKLIN ó A jury that decided a Texas A&M student was texting while driving and caused a deadly wreck ordered him to pay $22 million in damages.

The victim, Megan Small of Houston, was a senior at Baylor University and was driving to Waco when the November 2007 accident happened near Calvert.

The investigation indicated a vehicle driven by Reed Vestal crossed the center line and struck Smallís vehicle head-on. Phone records indicated Vestal sent and received 15 texts and made seven calls in the 45 minutes before the wreck.

The damages will be shared with Smallís friend Laura Gleffe, who was driving another car that rolled during the crash.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
I hate these laws. Not because I think texting or using a cell phone while driving, but because I believe the existing careless/reckless driving laws should be used to combat this problem.

-- Dan Meyer

Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote