Cell Phone Ban While Driving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

If you find yourself in Las Cruces, NM, beginning today, you'd better not be caught talking or texting on your cell phone in Las Cruces or you might end up shelling out a fine of $25 and be hit with a petty misdemeanor on your driving record.

The new ordinance requires that police witness a violation. If you get snagged, you'll have to appear in Municipal Court, which, to add salt to the wound, doesn't allow cell phones!

A conviction will be reported to the New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles, which means your insurance company can see it, too, city officials now say.

It's not cheap: a second offense will cost $50, and as much as $500 and as long as 90 days in jail for a third violation, or more.

Not sure how this applies to non-New Mexicans, just wanted to pass on the new law.

I believe it is a good law, too many talking or texting while driving.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Adrian I lived in Santa Fe for many years and they passed such a law several years ago. I agree with you that it is a good law. However, from my observation , if all the people in Santa Fe who were ticketed for a violation were laid end to end the line would not reach across your living room and as a result the law had absolutely zero impact on drivers using their cellphones. Perhaps, and hopefully , enforcement will be better in Las Cruces. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Our 1st. offence is over a Hunnert Buck$ as of Feb 1. Cheaper to stop and use a "Pay Phone"...and SAFER too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Sounds like a good law except the first offense should carry a $500 fine.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In the state of Oregon a hands-free cell phone law went into place on January 1st. I don't have a cellphone, so I can't tell you what the fine may be. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not high enough.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Hi: All...Our 1st. offence is over a Hunnert Buck$ as of Feb 1. Cheaper to stop and use a "Pay Phone"...and SAFER too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I haven't seen a working payphone in years, and that's in the Chicago area!
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Chicago also has a phone ban too, but I have not seen it change what I see on the freeway.

They need to extend it to cover putting on makeup and reading books.

I hope that all these laws don't pertain to cell phones that are being used as a GPS. We put our Droids into holders on the dashboard when we are using Google Maps.

CindyL
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #8

Trailer: R-Vision
As a commuter on two wheels, cell phone talkers scare me to death, texters
horrify me. These laws won't stop anybody I'm afraid.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Colorado has a texting law, though the cell ban is suppose to be coming. Not soon enough.

Calif, has had the law for several years, not that I think it's stopped many. Cause I see them chatting away. I am sure it's stopped the ones that have got caught, but the ones who haven't been popped yet probably still push their luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I'm a truck driver and see it all on the road.....one thing I see little of is people not chatting or texting on the phone. you'ld almost think it was a requirement to drive.
people reading the paper spread across the wheel and eating....seems to be a New York ,Jersey thing too,along with make-up,etc etc.
Fact is there arent alot of people driving safe or worried enough abou it to change it, and it's a hurried world we travel through now for sure and the lack of preparation time etc for people shows blatttanly once they hit the road. Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I just don't get how people can do it. Last time I was commuting from a long distance, I tried listening to books on tape. I could not follow the book and drive at the same time. I had to keep listening to the same part over and over again. I could not follow the book and make safe driving decisions. Happily for others on the road, I gave it up.

CindyL
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Various communities in Alberta have also (or will soon) institute a cellphone ban. Just saying....
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The cell phone ban here in California applys to holding the cell phone while driving. You can mount it on the dash and use the speaker phone or you can use a blue tooth gadget.

The problem I see has nothing to do with whether you are holding the phone or not. Hands free doesn't solve the cell phone usage problem at all. It's the distraction of the conversation that's the problem.

Yuck, who would ever use a pay phone if you could find one. I hated pay phones and couldn't wait to get a cell phone. I hardly ever use mine but I've got it if I need it.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
To CindyL - I never drive any distance without a Books on Tape playing. I find my retention is great! and the trip just flys by.

On the other hand, changing the disk (or tape) while driving makes me a serious threat to all others on the road.

Ron Mayo

PS If I try to listen to an audio book at home it usually puts me to sleep in about 5 minutes. Then the next AM I have to rewind and try to find my place in the story.

Quote:
I just don't get how people can do it. Last time I was commuting from a long distance, I tried listening to books on tape. I could not follow the book and drive at the same time. I had to keep listening to the same part over and over again. I could not follow the book and make safe driving decisions. Happily for others on the road, I gave it up.

CindyL
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Research has shown hands-free is just as bad as hands-on but the laws always allow hands-free so I don't know what good they are doing.

Audiobooks don't distract me from the road but they do sometimes make me miss an exit unless I'm using GPS. There is no visual to the audiobook. I won't talk on a cell phone and drive as that definitely distracts me.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #16

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   driving_20ban.gif
Views: 18
Size:  26.4 KB

ALL States should do this.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #17

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I really don't know why the federal government is not getting involved. They can drive a lot of action using their the control of highway funds.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #18

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Have you given any thought to how this can be enforced?
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Bobbie,

That "but they do sometimes make me miss an exit" is the distraction.

Listening to words whether audio books or a phone call is more distracting than just music which you simply tap your foot to. It's the concentration which is needed to discern the words and their meaning.

Yes, enforcement is the big problem. There just aren't enough cops to catch people driving recklessly, which is easier to spot, let alone using a cell phone. It's another law on the books to add to the multitude of others, which is not really all that enforceable.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Missing an exit is being personally distracted from my own goal, not distracted from driving carefully and safely. They are two different things. I can drive safely without any idea where I am or where I'm going but if I want to take a particular exit I have to know where I am and be watching for the exit (assuming my GPS is off.) Not the same kind of distraction.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote