Cell phone for pre-teen? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Story on the news here a while ago about a family that went on vacation in Mexico. The pre-teen kid got dad's phone, turned roaming on and played on-line video games. The bill was around $20,000.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
If you prefer to talk to your children rather than text be sure they understand that.

I have friends whose children have "put their foot down" and let their parents know that they don't talk -- they text -- and if mom and dad want to communicate they will text. The kids enforce this policy by refusing to answer incoming voice calls.

...and the parents are paying the phone bill. STRANGE!!!
I think there are programs that the parent can use to disable a child's phone if he/she doesn't answer or return mama or papa's call. He/she could still call home but that's all.

After seeing the way kids, and many adults, treat their $200 - $300 "toys" I'd opt for a simple flip phone that can withstand almost anything. JMO

2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #17

Name: Nancy
Trailer: in the market
California
Might it not be possible for your ex to acquire a land-line?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #18
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
If you prefer to talk to your children rather than text be sure they understand that.

I have friends whose children have "put their foot down" and let their parents know that they don't talk -- they text -- and if mom and dad want to communicate they will text. The kids enforce this policy by refusing to answer incoming voice calls.

...and the parents are paying the phone bill. STRANGE!!!
That would be when I would call the carrier and suspend service on their lines. My children were for the most part reasonable but they understood they did not make the rules, they followed them and failure to follow them had consequences. Far too many parents seem to want to be "buddies" rather than parents these days. They "create" defiant children who not only cause problems at home, but at school or at the mall or wherever else they roam.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #19

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
As Carol pointed out, this particular situation has two edges -- first, it is probable that this young lady is excited about getting her own phone. As such, that privilege can be used as collateral to encourage her compliance with the rules.

But, the driving reason she will be getting it in the first place is to address a need of her parents'. So, they cannot take her phone away for non-compliance without not only inconveniencing themselves, but also without putting her at a certain degree of risk.

Personally, not knowing where you live or what your home environment is, I would be hesitant to leave even a really well-behaved 12-year-old girl alone on a routine basis. There is just too much going on in our world that targets the destruction of our kids, particularly our daughters. My wife and I have a daughter, and I am sensitive to those things.

There can be a fine line between being a protector, which is good, and being over-protective, which is bad. To my thinking, if I allow her to experience a certain amount of pain while pursuing good things, that is positive life experience. But, to sanction her pursuit of things that I know will ultimately harm her more than help her, that is negligent. If I had to restructure my employment picture to allow me to fulfill my parental role, I would do that. If I had to give up financial advancement to fulfill my parental role, I would do that. If my daughter came to harm because of choices I made, I would never get over that.

Can your daughter join either Mom or Dad at work for those blocks of time, and maybe even pick up some intern skills? Is there a trusted friend or family member who would like some company? Is there a nursing/retirement home nearby that would like a friend to come play games or talk for a few hours? Your daughter's life could be forever changed for the better by spending that time with some seniors.

You may still want her to have a cell phone, but the reasons might change.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrwolfing View Post
Might it not be possible for your ex to acquire a land-line?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Land lines are an item that are very quickly becoming obsolete.... hard to find a party under the age of 35 who has one these days! Or at least in my family of about 20 such people in that age group thats the case.

Its estimated that up to 40% of homes in the US no longer have a landline. Many companies these days are also not installing land lines for their staff in the office as they are paying for them to have smart phones instead.

Makes sense when you do the math and start to question why you need to pay monthly for two seperate phone systems, one of which you rarely use (the land line).

Nexogy - Six Reasons Landline Phone Systems Are Becoming Obsolete
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #21

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Straight Talk Ho e phone:
Connect your home phone to it and get unlimited USA calling for $15 a month.
It is a ho e cell phone device that you can connect 2 home phones to, like a cordeless set and a regular phone.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Thanks for all the advice and viewpoints. No, I am not comfortable with leaving her home alone, and will not do so during MY weeks. Unfortunately, I have little control over what goes on the weeks her Mother has her. I am trying to find solutions to a less than ideal situation.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #23

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Cell phones and kids will put you in the poor house. Your bill for their texting the friend sitting right next to them will bankrupt you and they will have carpal tunnel syndrome by the time they are 16. My kids did not get a cell phone till they started working and paid it for themselves. Because of that my kids know the value of the dollar and what happens if they really cant afford something. Kids now-a-days are spoiled rotten and most parents are buying their love. No wonder the economy is in the crapper and kids expect all the latest and greatest tech stuff. Everyone is living on credit with money they don't even have and most will never be able to pay off in their life time. Out of credit and their answer is just get another credit card to rack up to the max.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Just my 2 cents worth.
Don't spend it all in one place.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #25

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
So many different ways of viewing this topic of kids and cell phones. I'm glad they weren't an issue when I was raising young ones.

My oldest grand has had access to one (when his parents thought it would be a good thing for that event basically). Another just turned 15 and was delighted to get his dad's old one - just a basic model.

I find it isn't just the kids who have problems with these devices. At Christmas I had difficulty taking family snaps because most of the younger adults were sharing info by cellphone!