Ceramic Heater Safety - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The Sprinter has a Diesel boiler for a heater.
Evidently if the engine coolant were used alone it would rarely produce enough usable heat to warm the interior no matter how much time you give it.

So they use the boiler which really does start to make heat for inside right away.
Then when stopped the thing will continue to spit out heat if you want it to and there is a timer circuit which will keep the heat coming until you are done with it,with the engine not running.

Go figure twice!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
...They were not difficult questions, things like is there a 12v outlet inside, what size sheets do I need etc. I still didnt receive much support so I'd rather ask all my non-brand specific questions here as long as it pertains to camping in tiny trailers. Ya'll are a wealth of knowledge and more importantly willing to share and dont make people feel dumb for asking a question...
Melissa
Melissa -

I like your determination and desire to solve your problems! I'm a 'keep it simple' type of guy. If the heat from the furnace is a concern regarding your daughter sleeping on the floor (partially under the dinette bed) - I think the furnace is close to the floor? You can locate a piece of paneling, roughly speaking 18"W x 24"H - place bottom against the cabinet in front of the furnace let the top of the panel tip out away from the furnace at the top (form a sort of 'V') - with a small hole in the top of the panel use a wire to support it about 6-8 in out away from the furnace at the top only - the warm air will be deflected upward to keep everyone warm and it won't be hot against your daughter's blanket.

Since you have two children to fit into a small space, an old fashioned 'canvas sling bunk' or 'pipe berth' (used on ships) might be the answer? I will attach a PDF to help you understand the concept. It requires hardly any construction and a little bit of sewing know how. You can make a single or double. During daytime it pushes (compressed to 3"-4") out of the way against the wall.

Let me know if any of this is helpful or - if you have questions send me a PM.

BTW - these ideas can be applied to nearly any small camper.

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pipe Bunk.pdf (264.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #23

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris
The Sprinter has a Diesel boiler for a heater.
Evidently if the engine coolant were used alone it would rarely produce enough usable heat to warm the interior no matter how much time you give it.

So they use the boiler which really does start to make heat for inside right away.
Then when stopped the thing will continue to spit out heat if you want it to and there is a timer circuit which will keep the heat coming until you are done with it,with the engine not running.

Go figure twice!
The diesel heater is an option. My Sprinter does not have it. If you have it, you can program it to come on before you come out to the van, so it is nice and warm inside. You can install them on just about any car or truck, gas or diesel. Search for "Espar heater" and you'll find plenty of info.

FYI, even Sprinters without the diesel heater have the "residual" heat function. Pressing this button runs an electric water pump and the blower fan to keep the cabin warm. It is designed for work crews eating lunch in the van and such, so that they don't have to run the engine just for heat. It is illegal in many places to idle for more than a few minutes.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
I don't know much about TN in December.....but I suspect it will be cold. How about just going and getting a 0 degree sleeping bag and let her sleep in the van all nice and cozy? Jump up in the morning and go into the T@B to get dressed.........
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
P.S. A 40 degree bag is NOT very warm....trust me I know......spend less than $100 and get a hefty Coleman 0 degree bag. Very warm and comfortable !!
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote