Chalk It Up to Practice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Chalk It Up to Practice

I got to my camp site and it was on a steep incline. The office was 5 miles away, so I figured I would give it my best shot.

The power and water were on the passenger side instead of the driver side, so I had to park as close to them as possible. The asphalt was crumbling along the edge and it took forever to back in where my power cord would reach and I had something solid to put blocks on to level the trailer. Thirty to 45 minutes and I'm perfect. Front to back, side to side - perfect.

Just realized I'm in the site right next to the one I'm supposed to be in!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Now, that's what I call camping!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Buck, I hate it when that happens!
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I hope your 'next door' actual campsite is a bit more level! Does this mean that the hookups now are on the correct side?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #5

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Huck,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate you.

I will not feel bad when I do that!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Good story. Thanks for sharing.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #7

Virginia
The office was closed when I realized my mistake and I couldn't find the ranger. At 8 pm, no one showed up for the spot so I went to bed.

This morning I was talking to my new neighbors who had arrived late and put up their tents. They were supposed to be in the spot I am in, but when they saw I was there, they were able to get a different site assigned to them. I apologized, but pointed out their new site is much better than the hill I am on. There was no level ground where they could have set up their tents.

I went to office 1st thing and got them to move me to the site I am in.

The next challenge will be to hook back up. Because of the steep incline (down), I have to raise the front of the trailer much higher than the rear to get the ball up to the hitch. The trailer has 3 2x6's under 1 wheel and square plastic leveler under the other. I blocked the wheels as best I could, but once I jack the front up, I'm afraid the trailer could roll over the blocks and into the guard rail (about 6' away).

The neighbor said he would spot me. This will have to go perfectly with no bumping the trailer.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Probably too late now, but hook the safety chains when you get close enough and the trailer can't roll far.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I got to my camp site and it was on a steep incline. The office was 5 miles away, so I figured I would give it my best shot.

The power and water were on the passenger side instead of the driver side, so I had to park as close to them as possible. The asphalt was crumbling along the edge and it took forever to back in where my power cord would reach and I had something solid to put blocks on to level the trailer. Thirty to 45 minutes and I'm perfect. Front to back, side to side - perfect.

Just realized I'm in the site right next to the one I'm supposed to be in!
:Huck u just gave the laugh for the day, I guess I been lucky and never done that, I know I would be really pissed off with myself doing that.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
A similar thing happened to us on one of our first, new trailer, camping trips to Lake Tahoe, California on July 4th weekend. We had reserved our spot months ahead of time and felt lucky to get one of the last ones available. When we arrived it became evident why it was the last available as it was on a steep incline. We had to back up the trailer to get to an (almost) level spot. (Our car is manual drive.) This put a strain on the gears and the car had that distinctive "bad smell" for quite awhile. We managed to get into our spot. Removing the trailer was another challenge as we had to maneuver the car backwards to line up with the hitch as we could not move the trailer one iota!

Thankfully, most of our challenges trailer camping have had positive outcomes and ALL are learning experiences!

P.S. Now we avoid all hilly campsites at all costs!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
A similar thing happened to us on one of our first, new trailer, camping trips to Lake Tahoe, California on July 4th weekend. We had reserved our spot months ahead of time and felt lucky to get one of the last ones available. When we arrived it became evident why it was the last available as it was on a steep incline. We had to back up the trailer to get to an (almost) level spot. (Our car is manual drive.) This put a strain on the gears and the car had that distinctive "bad smell" for quite awhile. We managed to get into our spot. Removing the trailer was another challenge as we had to maneuver the car backwards to line up with the hitch as we could not move the trailer one iota!

Thankfully, most of our challenges trailer camping have had positive outcomes and ALL are learning experiences!

P.S. Now we avoid all hilly campsites at all costs!
:Gilda it was not the transmissions fault it was the driver, one should rent a u-haul trailer and start backing one of them up until they get good at it then when you get the trailer it will be a easy feat. Backing up a single axle trailer is not easy for most folks even me but I have gotten good at it over the years but a Tandem is the way to go so much easier to back up.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
What a great story! Thank you for sharing. We had a side of a hill campsite also, so I can commiserate with you. When we got home I made up a number of stacking 2x8 and 2x10 boards with angled ends bolt holes so they would not slip when piled on each other etc,. Have yet to need them a second time....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Man, a great story...we are often amazed at how camping folks are willing to adjust and be friendly and helpful regardless.

We learned in our driveway to never unchock the wheels before getting the tongue hooked to the car...with the car brakes on. We have s slight slope toward the house and the two of us can't stop the trailer from rolling even on that gentle slope (it's hardly noticible...although Paul's turning the tongue wheel sideways did the trick--after some very strong jerking and tugging just before the trailer hit the house.

A lesson better learned in our driveway than in a campsite like the one described! So far we haven't had to figure such a slope out for camping...I can only cross my fingers and hope! (And try to listen to what others have done so we can at least be somewhat prepared.)

BEST
Kai
Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Thanks

Thanks made laugh out loud.
Or should I say LOL.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #15

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
So funny! Such great practice!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #16

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I really think that when you pay for a campsite you should get a reasonably usable one!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:47 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I really think that when you pay for a campsite you should get a reasonably usable one!
And it may well be that the office would have warned you before renting that spot. Many have the odd site that is less than ideal for some types of equipment. Since the OP was supposed to be in the next site over, the campground is not exactly at fault here. Just one of those things that happens sometimes... usually after dark when you arrive late and tired...

I was wondering (in hindsight, of course) if you might have called back to the office and gotten a different site, rather than driving back. I assume there was signal because you were on the forum.

If you want a thoroughly predictable travel experience and a perfectly level bed every night... there's McDonald's and Holiday Inn.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #18

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
And it may well be that the office would have warned you before renting that spot. Many have the odd site that is less than ideal for some types of equipment. Since the OP was supposed to be in the next site over, the campground is not exactly at fault here. Just one of those things that happens sometimes... usually after dark when you arrive late and tired...

I was wondering (in hindsight, of course) if you might have called back to the office and gotten a different site, rather than driving back. I assume there was signal because you were on the forum.

If you want a thoroughly predictable travel experience and a perfectly level bed every night... there's McDonald's and Holiday Inn.
There were 2 bad sites in the campground: the one I was in and the one I was supposed to be in.