SOI and Scamp forum

They are one in the same!

Old 01-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
In the real world of tongue weights, the Scamp 13' with bath, Group 27 battery and one propane tank comes in at 220#. This is with NO personal gear, no air conditioning, no awning.
While I made the comment without factoring in some of the things you mention, you make me wonder just what you guys are using for a tow vehicle. Does everyone own a 4x4 truck ??
There isn't much out there that tows 3500lbs any more. And since everyone wanted an automatic, that's what you have now?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I think I will opt for the 2 tank system, hopefully Scamp will reduce the charge if I don't get the 2nd tank, I do want the regulator that switches one tank to the other. I have no idea how much propane I will use, I have read that the refer works best on propane and plan on using it all the time. We live In northern Calif so heater will be rare, except Cheryl likes it a bit warmer than I.

Will contact Scamp Monday.

Does anyone know when Scamp will actually start production, since there are 8 full months till delivery date?

Best to all, this Sunday and Cheryl's BD

Mark.

P.S. There was a reference to the Scamp owners forum, is this the SOI forum, or a different one?

Also, is there a way I can get an Email to let me know when folks reply to threads I am following?
At the top of the topic you can subscribe to the thread and be notified.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #18

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Quote:
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I think I will opt for the 2 tank system, hopefully Scamp will reduce the charge if I don't get the 2nd tank, I do want the regulator that switches one tank to the other. I have no idea how much propane I will use, I have read that the refer works best on propane and plan on using it all the time. We live In northern Calif so heater will be rare, except Cheryl likes it a bit warmer than I.

Will contact Scamp Monday.

Does anyone know when Scamp will actually start production, since there are 8 full months till delivery date?

Best to all, this Sunday and Cheryl's BD

Mark.

P.S. There was a reference to the Scamp owners forum, is this the SOI forum, or a different one?

Also, is there a way I can get an Email to let me know when folks reply to threads I am following?

You can find SOI, Scamp Owners International, at:

SOI Scamp Travel Trailer | Events | Forum | Resources | Scamp Owners International
Old 01-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
Would you order one beer? Two is always better than one! lol

Mike
I do have a rare stick shift; and I agree completely with ordering two beers, as long as they are both for me!
Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #20

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Connecticut
Probably a good idea Paul. I have some concerns with my Subaru Forester tongue weight. Interestingly, my 2010 Forester was rated to tow 2700 lbs. but my 2015 Forester is rated to tow 1500 lbs. Both had/have manual transmissions. If the vehicle can't handle the weight, the next one will have a greater towing capacity. I would prefer dual tanks, because we have always been tent campers, preferring a bit more solitude and the dual tanks would allow more boondocking. We also have a place in northern Vermont, so you might see our Scamp on those country roads. Tony
Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #21

Name: John Michael
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
Probably a good idea Paul. I have some concerns with my Subaru Forester tongue weight. Interestingly, my 2010 Forester was rated to tow 2700 lbs. but my 2015 Forester is rated to tow 1500 lbs. Both had/have manual transmissions. If the vehicle can't handle the weight, the next one will have a greater towing capacity. I would prefer dual tanks, because we have always been tent campers, preferring a bit more solitude and the dual tanks would allow more boondocking. We also have a place in northern Vermont, so you might see our Scamp on those country roads. Tony
My Outback may be similar. When I look underneath at the hitch attachment points I can see why the tongue weight is restricted to 200 pounds. The metal of the "frame/unibody" is very thin where the U-Haul hitch is bolted on. The thickness of the steel in the hitch seems about 10 times as thick as the "frame". I suspect this is the real reason the tongue weight is restricted. Even though the 6 cylinder Outback can tow more than my 4 banger the tongue weight limit is the same. I keep our Scamp's tongue at 200 pounds thru cargo balancing but still take a look down there every chance I get to see if there are any issues. As Wisconsin's road salt does its work over the years regular inspection seems a good idea.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #22

Name: Anthony
Connecticut
John, We are buying the front bunk 13 footer, so I am hoping there will be less weight on the hitch than with the bathroom model. Of course Scamp tells me my hitch weight will be about 155 lbs. with the dual tanks. Don't know how accurate that estimate is!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #23

Name: mark
Trailer: 17', SD, Casita on order, PU 9/19/17
California
Hitch weight?

Lots of talk about hitch weight. I am new so please bare with me
To my understanding, if hitch weight is higher than the acceptable TV rating, can that weight not be lessened by moving packed weight to the rear of the trailer?
Seems like a simple solution, on paper. Perhaps not so in the real world?
I have pulled horse trailers but my Scamp will be the 1st travel trailer.

Mark
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
In the real world of tongue weights, the Scamp 13' with bath, Group 27 battery and one propane tank comes in at 220#. This is with NO personal gear, no air conditioning, no awning.
About right, except that personal gear awning and A/C don't really affect the tongue weight on a properly loaded trailer. My Scamp13D is at about 240# with everything you describe plus my bike rack and two bikes on the tongue.
Like you, my vote is no second tank, when in doubt simply weigh the one tank before a trip to be sure of an adequate supply. the extra tank is just 50#more than you need and its all on the tongue!
Truck stops like LOVES sell propane by the gallon, so you can top off the propane with no minimum when you stop for gas.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
While I made the comment without factoring in some of the things you mention, you make me wonder just what you guys are using for a tow vehicle. Does everyone own a 4x4 truck??
There isn't much out there that tows 3500lbs any more. And since everyone wanted an automatic, that's what you have now?
Not everyone tows with a truck, especially when we're talking about a 13' Scamp. Some people do prefer a truck, both for performance and cargo-carrying capacity, but it's certainly not necessary.

On the other end of the tow vehicle spectrum are those who tow with compact SUVs, some rated as low as 1500 pounds. With care, it can work, but probably not with two LP tanks and the larger battery.

I'm not sure what you meant by "not much out there that tows 3500# any more," though. There are any number of mid-sized vehicles with a maximum tow rating of 3500# or higher that aren't trucks. Off the top of my head: Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost, Ford Edge, Ford Flex, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T, Kia Sorento 2.0T, Mazda CX-9, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain V6, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Kia Sedona, Chrysler T&C/Pacifica for starters. Any would pull a Scamp 13 just fine, one or two tanks. Most would handle a number of larger molded fiberglass trailers as well.

I tow a 13' Scamp with a 2011 Honda Pilot 2WD rated 3500/350#. With four people and gear for a week, it's just right for us. I like having a little extra room and load capacity in the car- keeps the trailer from getting too cluttered.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #26

Name: Therisa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Vermont
I am worried about this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
My Outback may be similar. When I look underneath at the hitch attachment points I can see why the tongue weight is restricted to 200 pounds. The metal of the "frame/unibody" is very thin where the U-Haul hitch is bolted on. The thickness of the steel in the hitch seems about 10 times as thick as the "frame". I suspect this is the real reason the tongue weight is restricted. Even though the 6 cylinder Outback can tow more than my 4 banger the tongue weight limit is the same. I keep our Scamp's tongue at 200 pounds thru cargo balancing but still take a look down there every chance I get to see if there are any issues. As Wisconsin's road salt does its work over the years regular inspection seems a good idea.

John
could you tell us more about how you balance the cargo? We have a 2016 outback with that 200 pound limit the same as yours, and are seriously contemplating the scamp 13 with bathroom. I wondered if I ordered lithium batteries which could be put inside th scamp that I could put them for the back and reduce the tongue weight. I also wondered what else I should/could do to make it stay below that weight.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:25 PM   #27

Washington
Quote:
Lots of talk about hitch weight. I am new so please bare with me
To my understanding, if hitch weight is higher than the acceptable TV rating, can that weight not be lessened by moving packed weight to the rear of the trailer?
Seems like a simple solution, on paper. Perhaps not so in the real world?
I have pulled horse trailers but my Scamp will be the 1st travel trailer.

Mark
I'm sure others a lot more technical than I am can answer this better, but my trailer should be level. If I were to add more weight to the rear, yes, the tongue would weigh less, but it also would rise AND add to the total weight of the trailer. This also makes the trailer behave differently. It's also best to have the trailer balanced weight-wise from side to side.

Vehicle Owner's Manual will usually state towing tongue weight and total trailer weight. My comment about NO personal gear, no air conditioning, no awning was more toward the second rating, as off the factory floor it weighed 1500#.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #28
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Dual tank holder

When I installed a dual tank holder both tanks had to be in place for the holder to properly secure the tanks. With one tank the upper bracket would not apply the proper pressure.

Tags
scamp