Change my Scamp order? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #29

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Theresa, you could also replace the propane tank with a fiberglass one to save another 15 or so pounds off the tongue weight, but having a front bath in the 13' Scamp will be very difficult to overcome that added weight.
Dave & Paula

Old 01-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #30
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Subaru

Unless they have changed, the after market hitches bolt to the two bottom of tubes that stiffen the rear of the car. The oem hitch attaches to three studs at the end of those tubes. I suspect the tow ratings are based on the oem hitch.

You'll find pictures here:
Subaru Forester Wired and Hitched

Old 01-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #31

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
My front bath, group 27 battery, one propane tank, deluxe oak 13' Scamp had a tongue weight of 230 pounds from the factory. I suspect without the front bath the tongue weight would be about 200 pounds. I resolved the heavy tongue issue by moving the battery inside and to the very rear of the dinette seat (with external venting) and added a 20 pound bike rack to the back bumper. I also try to store heavier items in the rear of the trailer as well (jack, tools, etc).

I did add a front cargo box to the tongue that surely weighs at least as much as a second full propane tank. Still in the end I always weigh in at 200 + or - 5 pounds on the ball.

One bike on the rack helps more, but two causes a bit of sway at which point I move some cargo forward.

Better to have a huge tow vehicle and not have to juggle, but I love my Outback and after 25,000 towing miles couldn't be happier.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #32

Name: Therisa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Vermont
Thanks for good suggestions

It looks like I can use interior lithium battery, change propane tank to fiberglass, move heavy stuff to the back, and maybe take the doir off of the bathroom in order to get below that 200 lb tongue weight. I will still try to persuade my partner that he really does not need the shower and that he can live with the porta-potti option. Without the bathroom, I might not have to go through all these changes.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #33

Name: mark
Trailer: 17', SD, Casita on order, PU 9/19/17
California
hitch weight

Very interesting reading. Thanks to all who have contributed. I am much more informed than before.
Mark
Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #34

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Mark, If you are going to change your order do it soon. That tank holder is one of the first things they do. The frame is made first and the holder is welded on.
Ken
Ken, just got an Email from Scamp. Production will start approx 6 weeks from delivery date. They must be backed up with quite a few orders!

Mark
Old 01-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #35

Name: Anthony
Connecticut
floyd, I never knew you could buy propane by the gallon. Every time I fill a tank in New England, it's a flat fee, tank empty, $17.00, tank half full, $17.00. That's why I am considering the second tank. Knowing I can start each trip with a full tank makes a big difference. I'll will check the local truck stops. Tony
Old 01-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #36

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
floyd, I never knew you could buy propane by the gallon. Every time I fill a tank in New England, it's a flat fee, tank empty, $17.00, tank half full, $17.00. That's why I am considering the second tank. Knowing I can start each trip with a full tank makes a big difference. I'll will check the local truck stops. Tony
$17? I do not know how they do it, but Bob's Garage in Whiter River Junction is $8.75 for the 20# tank refills. And the West Lebanon, NH Feed & Supply store is $9.50. But, LP gas is a refinery "waste product", after all.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #37
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Tractor Supply meters their propane. You pay only what the tank takes. On the road the web site will tell you which stores have propane. The West Lebanon, N.H. store was up to $1.96/gal last week. Don't go if you are in a hurry. There is typically one person qualified to fill tanks and you have to wait for them to free up.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #38

Name: jeff
Trailer: cloud
Michigan
There is only 5 gal in a 20# tank, 25gal in a 100# tank..etc. Propane here is about 2.15 per gal but it jumps around like gas and varies by location to. Lotsof places just refill by the gal,look around some. I get mine filled at tractor supply... about 12.00 if empty.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #39

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
tongue vs total weight

I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but when moving weight from the tongue to the rear, don't forget that the tongue needs to remain the proper percentage of total weight. Generally 10%-15% but Scamp may have their own recommendation.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #40

Name: Anthony
Connecticut
$17.00 at BJ's for non members, $13.00 for members. Being a member, I was thinking I was getting a good deal. Those are CT. prices. In northern VT. I pay about the same at the local gas station/convenience store. I've only needed propane for occasional use of the gas grill, so it hasn't been a big deal but now that the Scamp is on order and we will be using a lot more propane, I will definitely be looking for per gallon fill ups and better pricing!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #41

California
Propane purchase

Here in Santa Rosa, Ca. I buy Propane at the Arco gas station. Priced per gallon, about the same price as reg gasoline. There is a minimum tho. Almost all gas stations sell Propane, lots of gas grills being used.

Mark
Old 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #42

Name: Steve
California
Allot of refill stations around me have a minimum 8 gallons of propane. They either don't want the hassle of filling a single bottle or will skim you for the extra gallons when the bottle is full. I carry 2 full bottles on my trailer all the time. I have never used more than 1 bottle on any trip. (we are still working so no long trips for us) Once the bottle has been used any I place it on my BBQ until empty. I put a full one on the trailer for the next trip.
I have found trading my empty bottle at Home Depot works well for me. I have 4 bottles, 2 for my trailer and 2 for the BBQ with the rotation it has taken the hassle out of my life. Rotating the bottles out with Home Depot I don't have to worry about out of date bottles needing re-certification. I can swap bottles on my schedule and not by urgent need.

Tags
scamp