Change the tow vehicle, trailer, neither? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Aerodynamics

Aerodynamics and frontal area are big deals. Check your mileage while driving into a head wind. The following though technical has some nuggets of knowledge

Physics of Automotive Vehicles

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #16

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I pull a 17 foot Bigfoot with a V6 Chevy van and yes it does like gas.
I only average 12-13 pulling.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #17

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Ohio
Towing with a Tundra

We towed a 25 Ft Big Foot With a 2012 Tundra Crew and averaged around 10 to 11 miles per gallon. I am guessing we were close to 8500 lbs. Experienced no problems with this set up. We sold the Big Foot last fall and just purchased a new a new 22 ft Oliver Elite. One of the nice things about fiberglass is the excellent resale value. Will pick up the Oliver next week and we are excited.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I tow a 1980 Bigfoot 15B17G with a 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan. Gas mileage is usually 12 mpg at 60 mph. Mileage drops as low as 10 mpg driving into a 20 mph head wind. Best mileage ever was 14.6 on back roads driving 50 mph. Highway gas mileage when NOT towing is 25 mpg. We will not ever trade tow vehicle style or trailer. We love both.

NW New Mexico Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

Also,I never tow without eBay used McKesh mirrors.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Good day Brian... I read your initial post and going to throw out a few points. If you would like more info on what I have listed below let me know.

We tow a 23' aerodynamic trailer and to date averaged 16MPG towing. Our V6 car gets 27MPG solo.

M'Kesh miirrors work great.

Toy 4 Runners are a poor choice for a TV. It's not about weight and tow ratings. It's about overall design.

Generally speaking a dual axle trailer is going to feel better when towing (more stable feel).

PS.... I am a big fan of Bigfoot trailers.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
If you need to gas up every 150-200 miles that translates approximately to every 3-4 hours. Don't know about you but I need to get out and move around after that amount of time sitting. Also, sitting in one position is setting oneself up for blood clots in the legs which can become deadly if they migrate to heart or lungs. Personally I wear pressure socks to help avoid those and 3-4 hours means potty stops for many people. Just my own experience and I confess to being an 'old fart."
Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
As far as aerodynamics, driving into a 20 mph headwind at 55 mph is no different than what you get when driving 75 mph. I see lots of complaints about what happens when driving into a headwind, but almost every one credits "My Good Driving" when economy happens to go up with a tail wind.

Isn't it a little suspect when "Off line" advice is offered?
If it's about FGRV'ing, and is safe and legal, why can't it be shared with all of us????

BTW: Is "aerodynamic trailer" the new code word for "Airstream"
Old 06-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
If you need to gas up every 150-200 miles that translates approximately to every 3-4 hours. Don't know about you but I need to get out and move around after that amount of time sitting. Also, sitting in one position is setting oneself up for blood clots in the legs which can become deadly if they migrate to heart or lungs. Personally I wear pressure socks to help avoid those and 3-4 hours means potty stops for many people. Just my own experience and I confess to being an 'old fart."
So true rg. No matter what the age of the driver stretching the legs often is a good thing.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #23
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As far as aerodynamics,
A good subject Bob. You have reminded me of some aerodynamic testing that was done down in the States. It shows the value have having an aerodynamic trailer. There are a number of trailers built including many glass eggs that have an aerodynamic design. It all helps.

Also realize the trailer is only half the topic. Placing an aerodynamic tow vehicle in front of the trailer really helps with poking a hole in the wall of air that the rig is constantly fighting at highway speed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...elTesting1.jpg
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #24

California
While I agree that aerodynamic shape has value, an advertisement from Airstream, without any supporting evidence, techniques, dates, examples used in the tests, documentation etc. is just that, a self-serving advertisement. But they did mention that a "Dr." at a University did the tests, so they must be true.

Of much greater interest would have been figures for 65 MPH, but maybe 55 mph was the speed limit when the testing was done, or maybe things tended to equal out at higher speeds. As passenger vans have been around since the early 60's it's hard telling how old those tests might be.

That said, it's no secret that the earlier Airstreams were much more aerodynamic than the later versions and one would expect those kinds of differences in a worst case scenario.

BTW: Isn't just saying that you like the boxy BigFoot trailers (except the 13' Lil Bigfoot of course) considered blasphemy in Airstream circles..... it might even be grounds for excommunication from the club.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Bigfoot
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Good day Brian... I read your initial post and going to throw out a few points. If you would like more info on what I have listed below let me know.

We tow a 23' aerodynamic trailer and to date averaged 16MPG towing. Our V6 car gets 27MPG solo.

M'Kesh miirrors work great.

Toy 4 Runners are a poor choice for a TV. It's not about weight and tow ratings. It's about overall design.

Generally speaking a dual axle trailer is going to feel better when towing (more stable feel).

PS.... I am a big fan of Bigfoot trailers.
I saw another post you made regarding the 4Runners being poor tow vehicles. Do you have any source/evidence for this statement? My first hand experience has been very positive, and the only safety issue I have with my current configuration is the visibility issue. The overwhelming consensus by owners has been positive as well, judging by the months of searching I did on the web prior to purchasing the 4Runner.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I saw another post you made regarding the 4Runners being poor tow vehicles. Do you have any source/evidence for this statement?
Yes Brian.... Here are some sources.....

See post #13 here.... "Don't buy a 4Runner to tow with."

Another 4runner question - Airstream Forums

See post #11

Which Airstream for 4Runner - Airstream Forums

Note.... The source has set up and driven 1,000's of various rigs so he has many to use as a comparison.

Note II.... Don't shoot "me", I'm just the messenger. :7)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #27

California
How about some evaluations from FGRV users. I think that all these references to the Airstream cult are wearing on some of us.

I was at an Airstream Club sponsored "Vintage Trailer Show" a few months ago and, if there was ever a group more in love with themselves, I have yet to meet them.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
BTW: Isn't just saying that you like the boxy BigFoot trailers (except the 13' Lil Bigfoot of course) considered blasphemy in Airstream circles..... it might even be grounds for excommunication from the club.
LOL, I don't belong to the club. I just like Airstream and Bigfoot trailers.