Change the tow vehicle, trailer, neither? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #57
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
SP depends on which way one is facing!!!

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #58
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper, 2002 Highlander 3.0L, 1999 F250 7.3L Diesel
Originally Posted by Darral View Post
But I also agree 100% in that you NEED to see what's in the blindspots!! Darral
CIPA mirror extensions on both sides for me, and my wife ridding shotgun holding a 4.5" wireless monitor to an always-on rearview wireless camera mounted on the back of the camper. That's how we roll. She warns me if there is a vehicle hugging our camper bumper that I can't see even with the mirror extensions. And if something starts to pass us, she tells me what to be expecting and on what side. Plus she has fun watching the monitor as we go under overpasses! Between the mirror extensions on both sides and the camera on the back, surprises from the rear are few and far between. Now if those crazy drivers would just stay out from in front of us....

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #59
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
I just finished a 6400 mile cross country trip with a Ram 1500 Hemi pulling a 21' Escape. I have a 25 gallon tank and my range was about 225 miles before I started looking for a gas station. I averaged 12-13.5 mpg with the lower number into the wind. The trailer was weighed, it was 3800 lbs at the axle and 425 lb tongue weight. My front axle was 3300 lbs and my rear was 3800 lbs with an Andersen set up. My mpg not towing is about 15 mpg.
I do have a camper shell on the truck bed which I feel helps with wind and the Escape is about 6" wide than the truck on each side. I have some nice extended mirrors and the entire trip was very pleasant. Now excuse me as I have to find a part time job to pay for
close to $2k gas bill.
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #60
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Jim, Yikes on the gas bill. That's more than half of what we spend on gas for a year of travel. Did you drive the route 50 road thru the Neveda?
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #61
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
No, we attended an Escape Rally in Osoyoos, BC. Took I70 in Pennsylvania all the way to Utah and then meandered thru Idaho and Oregon and Washington to British Columbia on the 2 lane roads. Came back on I90 thru Montana,Dakotas,Iowa back down to I70 in Indiana. I got altitude sickness in Colorado so we avoided traversing the Cascades.
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #62
Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Mileage with Tundra

Brian, Towed a 25 ft front bed Big Foot with my Tundra. My weight with the Big Foot was over 7200 lbs and we averaged right around 11 to 12 miles per gallon. Sold the Big Foot last fall and just purchased a Oliver 22 ft Elite II. Am getting 14 miles per gallon and the weight of the trailer is right around 4700 lbs. No sway control and the Oliver tracks really well with no sway. Coming back from Tenn we kept the speed right at 60. I used the Equalizer Sway control with the Big Foot. Jerry
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #63
Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
Yep, I'm a turbo diesel lover.

Hard to beat a diesel for towing but I doubt I'd ever buy a new smog model. You might consider looking for one of the older diesels. I have an old pre smog Dodge/Cummins that has been extremely reliable after 180k miles towing a lot of different things. Towing a 10klb 5th wheel it gets better mileage than most V6 SUVs get towing a Casita. Towing a Casita I'm always at 20+mpg, has tons of range with an easily to installed 45gal auxillary tank. Just got a shell for it to add some storage space. It's also the most comfortable driving of all of our cars. My wife even prefers it for road trips to her edge.

I really like being able to get fuel when I want to rather than having to stop after every hill. If I don't see a station I like between here and California, that's ok. I need breaks like everyone else but I can choose to stop at more family friendly places for those breaks (or use the casita facilities if necessary). My wife would rather stop at a walmart than a gas station for making necessary deposits. Seems like the gas stations are always a mess.

If I were forced to buy a new car, I'd just sell my wifes shoe collection and get a new Grand Cherokee.. (-:}

2002 Casita 17' Bunk Model Delux (replaced 28' 5th wheel)
2003 Dodge/Cummins quad cab (daily driver/tow vehicle of choice)
2005 AWD Astro Van/camper (my solo camper)
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote