charging ipad and phones - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #15

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
charging ipad and phones

I use a dual port usb outlet from bluesea that runs on 12 volts. I just hooked it up to a lighting circuit. It uses very small amounts of juice. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1423452111.474294.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	80331

It works great for iphones ipads etc.
I paid $20. My battery is charged by my tow vehicle or a 100 watt solar panel atop the Scamp and rarely from shore power.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Check out our Solar article (written by Jim Dunham). It was written several years ago, but contains good info.

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #17

Name: Karen
Trailer: 2008 17' Oliver Elite
Michigan
Registry
Thanks Bob, I think I'm beginning to get it. We are not greedy users of power so the Solar usually has no problems keeping our led lights and fans going if necc. AND...I do have one of those cigerette lighter USB charger in our truck. Now I am looking at getting either a dedicated solar charging system for the ipad, OR...trying to figure out how to make one of those converters work from our AC outlets. At this point, I am leaning towards a dedicated solar system for the IPAD....just to make life easy. ha ha
Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Charging most tablets and smart phones is a relatively small task when you have a 12 volt battery and a TV to provide power. There are any number of 12VDC to USB "Converters" that are just a matter of plugging in to an accessory outlet.

But I am confused with "trying to figure out how to make one of those converters work from our AC outlets." What do you want to do and when do you want to do it?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #19

Michigan
Registry
John, I like what you did. Is it a complicated task? I am going to look into that solution. I think it would be just what I am looking for! Just not too handy with electrical wiring is all. Obviously, with my advanced grasp on all things electrical, I might end up electrocuting myself or worse, messing up the whole electrical system on the trailer.

Bob, I am confused, hence the confusion. Well, as I said, I do have one of those TV converters that I do use to charge my IPAD and IPHONE...but at least with our TV, it only works while the motor is on as in driving. SO, my problem is: I don't want to run my truck just to charge my devices when we are boon docking in the middle of nowhere. SO, if you don't use your TV to go anywhere for days on end how do you charge your devices? Do people just run their TV's to charge their devices? Some poster said one of their vehicles doesn't need to be running to charge theirs but ours does.

I do appreciate all the ideas coming my way. I am trying to get a handle on all things DC vs AC120, solar vs generator, batteries, shore power, etc. etc.....sometimes, I think I will figure lots more once I am out there and doing it....and perhaps meeting some face to face campers along the way as well. But it helps to have some preliminary concepts down....

Why this is so hard for me to grasp, is that first, I always found electrical stuff confusing, and secondly, I am not looking at it. I need to be able to see stuff and right now, the escape pod is up here in the COLD FROZEN north, under wraps, so until she gets herself to Texas next week, I won't be able to really sit down and figure things out by looking/touching, etc..which is how my brain works.

So in the meantime, asking questions, reading posts, going to the links provided, etc....
Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Karen, it sounds as though you have solar in your trailer but do not have any 12V cigarette lighter style outlets in the trailer. If that is correct, you could install one, which is quite easy to do with a little bit of electrical knowledge. If you have never done something like that before and don't feel up to it, it may be best to get someone else to install it for you. I would suggest getting at least one cigarette lighter style 12V outlet, and add additional USB outlets after that if you wish (you can always get the USB to cigarette outlet adapter and avoid installing the USB only outlets).

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #21

California
You didn't mention what you TV was, but those that have additional "Accessory" or "Power" outlets may have them powered ON at all times.

Lacking that, adding an additional under dash "Charging Station" with both a 12VDC outlet and several USB outlets is about a 15 minute job using a inline fuse to connect directly to the battery. About the same as adding one to your trailer.
One like this should do the trick. Get two and put one in your trailer:
12V Cigarette Socket Panel w Dual USB Port for Boat RV Caravan Five Oceans | eBay
Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceRinFla View Post
I am getting from the OP he is using the solar panel to directly run equipment, not via a charged house battery? .
Its not likely they are able to run/charge much of anything directly off the solar panel system without a battery attached to store the power the solar panels slowly capture.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

Michigan
Registry
Icebreaker, that is correct. Perhaps I will purchase them before I take off and then do one of two things, ask my brother when I finally hit Tuscan where he lives, if HE can install them, OR....have an electrician do it for me.

Bob, we have an 07 Chevy Silverado. I am going to check that out as well. I feel like I'm getting closer to understanding how this all works....and finding a solution that isn't terribly out of my ability, with a little help from my friends of course.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #24

California
Both my 2003 GMC Sonoma and my 2003 Chevy Blazer have power outlets below the dash, just right of center, that are HOT at all times. I just went back out and verified. I'm sure you 07 does also and, if not, I am sure that there is an available fuse location in the under hood fuse box you can connect to.

Did you look at the eBay items? I have ordered from the same seller in the past with good results.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #25

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I think I may be somewhat confused regarding the USB outlets?? I'm pretty well versed on electrical matters, both 120vac & 12vdc, as I've built & rebuilt (& wired) several campers. I've little or no experience with solar but have considered some of the newer 'flexible' panels, especially since we've recently bought a 2001 Casita 17 SD. We own a Honda Eu2000i generator which we carry in our TV, but seldom have to use it. We've gotten along for several years with a Motorola Droid 'X' cell phone & Verizon service. We're thinking of acquiring an iPad or similar. I've seen various devices that 'hook' to a USB port for charging but in looking at the 'cigarette' lighter type adapters in stores, I see some are 'Hi' & some are 'Low', with some combos. Question I have is - what is the difference & which would you use with which devices? Or, can they all be used with any device, with the difference merely lower/higher rates of charge? TIA...
Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #26

California
I believe it's only available rate-of-charge. The standards seem to be 1.0 and 2.1 amps. I "think" that there are some fruit named products (Orange?) that use higher numbers on their chargers, but you are right, it primarily means that the lower capacity will just take longer to charge a battery, I'm guessing over night instead of 3 hours etc. But ask the person who owns one....
Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #27

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
In addition to what Bob says regarding charge times I would add that some adapters with two outlets (inlets) will only charge one at a time and some adapters will have a maximum charge rate that would prevent two 2.1 amp devices from achieving their advertised rate.

As Bob states, devices will all throttle down to their slowest (longest) rate when they encounter an unknown and thereby protect the device.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #28

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Thanks, makes sense, even to me...