Chat with the inventor of the PLAYPAC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Steven, allow me to extend you my welcome to our forums! We're glad you found us. Here you'll find a group of enthusiasts who enjoy the lifestyles that these kinds of campers allow.

I've had four Scamps, two 13's, a 16' custom deluxe, and a 19' custom deluxe; a 1999 Love Bug II 18' (an orphan built here in Iowa), a 1987 Burro 17' wide-body (another Iowa-built orphan), a UHaul 13', a Trillium 15' (briefly) and two Bigfoot trailers; a 17' and now a 25'. After researching some of the history of Burro and Love Bug some years ago, I briefly considered resurrecting the Burro marque here in Iowa, but ultimately decided I didn't have enough time to enter into a new venture of that size.

There are many of us here who enjoy the ingenuity and uniqueness of these small fiberglass trailers, and it's great to have an early pioneer in these products on board!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and please continue to tell us the tale of the PlayPac!

Roger

Old 11-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Playpacand 1988 16 ft Scamp
Hi, great to find out more about my PlayPac. I needed something larger and now have my PP for sale.
Charlene in Greensboro, NC

Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Florida
Bonnie, I will look forward to seeing your finished product. It feels like you are giving a new suit of clothes to one of my "children"
Steve

Quote:

I own a stripped down PlayPac and I'm busy refitting it. One of 75. That's a neat tidbit to know. Please do continue your story.

There are, I think 5 other PlayPac owners on this board. And I know of at least one other owner. So we are approaching 10% still in use.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #18

Florida
Charlene, I'm sure you'll find a buyer soon who will treat my "baby" well. How long have you owned it? What improvements have you done?
Steve

Quote:
Hi, great to find out more about my PlayPac. I needed something larger and now have my PP for sale.
Charlene in Greensboro, NC
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #19

Florida
Bonnie, It's great to know you are a "foster parent" to one of my babies! When I decided to proceed with the construction of a full size model the next step was in finding the right company to build it for me. The designor had worked with a company in NJ who had experience with working with fiberglass prototypes. It was quite an exciting day when I saw my dream become a reality. I towed it behind a 1971 VW bug in a big field in NJ and was thrilled. The next step was getting it to upcoming RV and auto dealer shows as well as deciding who would be the company to get the contract to build them. We were the first RV company to show at the National Automobile dealers convention in Las Vegas in 1971. We were particularly targeting VW dealers and of course the domestic dealers who were already selling Ford Pintos, Cevy corvairs etc. To be cont'd
Steve

Quote:

I own a stripped down PlayPac and I'm busy refitting it. One of 75. That's a neat tidbit to know. Please do continue your story.

There are, I think 5 other PlayPac owners on this board. And I know of at least one other owner. So we are approaching 10% still in use.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #20

Florida
Cindy, maybe you can get together with Charlene post#16 who has a Playpac for sale. I won't be scared away but since I still work full time I will not always be prompt to answer. I have every intention of continuing the history as well as answering questions. Happy trails!
Steve

Quote:
Maybe we ought to try to find a PlayPac. We have a '69 Beetle that we hope to take to a VW show some day. We already have a trophy we got when we showed our Eurovan pulling our renovated Burro.

Thanks, Steve, for your willingness to share. We currently own a 16' UHaul trailer. Over on uhaulcamper, we had someone like you drop in. I think we scared him away with all our questions. He answer a couple and then did not return. But it was still great to talk to someone who, while he did not design the trailer like you, worked on the original ones. Being both a VW and fiberglass owner, I am enjoying your posts.

CindyL
Old 11-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #21

Florida
Mary, your question is a good one. While the Playpac was a new patented design it could also be cosidered an indirect decendent of the Boler. The Playpac was the first FGTT produced in the US. The Boler was produced before the Playpac in Canada. As I mentioned in an earlier comment I originally negotiated for the rights to produce the Boler in the US but decided to move ahead with a new design. The terms for the US rights were not to my liking and I felt that being able to offer a private water closet ,later with a shower, and the ability to sleep 6 made the effort to start from scratch worth while. "Happy trails".
Steve

Quote:
Steven (and anybody else who is new here), you may have seen it already, but we have an ongoing topic called Egg History - Boler Descendants, Can You Fill In the Blanks? that you might find interesting. It's 7 pages long, and I only made it through page 3 (for now). Not sure if the Playpac is represented or not, but we need to add it to the timeline.

Or, maybe I misunderstand??? Is the Playpac ineligible for that list because it was a new design? (Aren't all these things Boler descendants?)
Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #22

Florida
Pat, the table top fit across the 2 benches. The bench back rests fitted ontop of the table top (slept 4 very "cozily") There were 2 flip down bunks that were suspended above the side windows for 2 more and then a party was had by all! Happy trails!
Steve

Quote:
Sir, the old brochure said it could be configured to sleep 6. How was that done? No kitchen?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #23

Florida
The Playpac is now listed in Wikipedia under the Travel Trailer section (Small travel trailers) I would truly appreciate if someone would post a picture of one next to the column. All of my Literature is in storeage in Florida and I will not return to Fl. until next Spring. Thanks much and "Happy Trails"
Steve
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Direct link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_trailer
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
Quote:
Just found this site and soooo happy to see that my dream/reality still lives on. All those PP owners who want to learn more about the PP's conception and birth and share their experiences are welcome.
Wow..this is just what I was wanting. I've never had any info on my Play Pac, where it was made or how many years or anything. Greatly appreciate what you have written so far, can't wait to hear more.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0060.JPG  
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
FYI the PlayPac manual is now listed in the Document Center
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
Quote:
FYI the PlayPac manual is now listed in the Document Center
Thanks Donna, I didn't know it was a Hitch-Hut from Play Pac. I'd love to have a Play Pac tire cover.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 1973 Playpacand 1988 16 ft Scamp
I'm new to this forum, so hope I'm using it right.

I only got my PP this spring, used it 2-3 times then purchased a 16' Scamp for larger size so I need to sell it the PP. It is in near perfect shape, mostly original interior, even has the moon hubcaps. I have it stored in a carport as it seems to have always been stored.

You may contact me at acharlen at bellsouth dot net or 336-288-9119.

Quote:
Charlene, I'm sure you'll find a buyer soon who will treat my "baby" well. How long have you owned it? What improvements have you done?
Steve