Chat with the inventor of the PLAYPAC - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #61

Trailer: Play Pac Hawaiitch Hut
Steve,

I'm sure glad you checked back on the message board. I was hoping I would get a reply from you! We just finished up a 3 day/2 night camping trip to Lincoln State Park Campground in Southwestern Indiana and we had a blast except for a few rain showers during the trip. I am sure glad I had the Playpac versus a tent!!! I am going to post a few photos for you and the other Playpac fans to see. Ours has been kept inside its whole life so it is really in great condition.

If you look at the photos, my Father had added a few little creature comforts, but kept it mostly in original condition. The fist item you'll notice is the little eagle looking badges by the door and on the front. This badge has the little bubble levels in them so you can get the camper leveled out at the campsite. As you can see from the picture, we were on a sloped pad!

The other thing that might jump out at you are the two screen vents on the front side. My father had put a small window air conditioner unit in the original cabinet underneath the sink and sealed up the unit to those vents so one is the intake and the other vent is for the hot air exhaust. It is pretty slick and make it nice and cool in the Hitch Hut. If anybody is interested in that, I can take some photos of it to show how it sits in there. I have it out right now to get the refrigerant recharged.

One other thing you might notice is left of the door and below the badges is a double electical outlet that he installed so you now have power for radios and lights, etc. for you little patio area.

Anyway, here are some pictures! I'll take some more of the interior and get them posted soon.

Kurt

PS: If anybody wants a copy of the high resolution files (10MP), let me know by email. My email address is kurtnval[at]insightbb.com
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2068.jpg  
KurtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #62

Here is pic #2

Kurt

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2078.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #63

Pic #3

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2079.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #64

Pic #4

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2080.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #65

Pic #5

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2081.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #66

Pic #6

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2082.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #67

And finally Pic #7

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2083.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #68

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Kurt, glad you had a great first outing with your Playpac "Hitch hut". Your egg looks like it is in great shape. I was recently contacted by a documentary film maker who is going to make a doc. about the birth and early years of the glass egg. He will include the Playpac Hitch hut. I have "dug up" early magazine articles, photos, advertising, brochures and the original warranty papers that went with the HH. I just got a printer/ scanner and will try to scan some of these and send them to this site. I will need some guidance from all those on the site as to where and how to go about posting the items.
If there ary any Playpac owners who plan to be in Florida this year I would love to hear from them. We have moved back from Las Vegas to Stuart, FL. I was told that very few of the early founders of the fiberglass egg industry are still "above ground". One reason I am still "kicking" is that I was 31 when the Playpac adventure began.
PaPac (Steve Whysel)

Quote:
Steve,

I'm sure glad you checked back on the message board. I was hoping I would get a reply from you! We just finished up a 3 day/2 night camping trip to Lincoln State Park Campground in Southwestern Indiana and we had a blast except for a few rain showers during the trip. I am sure glad I had the Playpac versus a tent!!! I am going to post a few photos for you and the other Playpac fans to see. Ours has been kept inside its whole life so it is really in great condition.

If you look at the photos, my Father had added a few little creature comforts, but kept it mostly in original condition. The fist item you'll notice is the little eagle looking badges by the door and on the front. This badge has the little bubble levels in them so you can get the camper leveled out at the campsite. As you can see from the picture, we were on a sloped pad!

The other thing that might jump out at you are the two screen vents on the front side. My father had put a small window air conditioner unit in the original cabinet underneath the sink and sealed up the unit to those vents so one is the intake and the other vent is for the hot air exhaust. It is pretty slick and make it nice and cool in the Hitch Hut. If anybody is interested in that, I can take some photos of it to show how it sits in there. I have it out right now to get the refrigerant recharged.

One other thing you might notice is left of the door and below the badges is a double electical outlet that he installed so you now have power for radios and lights, etc. for you little patio area.

Anyway, here are some pictures! I'll take some more of the interior and get them posted soon.

Kurt

PS: If anybody wants a copy of the high resolution files (10MP), let me know by email. My email address is kurtnval[at]insightbb.com
steven whysel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #69

Steve,

If the film maker needs any video footage of the hitch-hut and wants to travel to Indiana, we can take it out to the campground for them!!!

Kurt
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #70

It would be very interesting to see a magazine ad for the Play Pac if one exists. Has anybody seen one?
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #71

Just picked up my Playpac tonight in Zephyrhills, Fl. Let the fun begin...... .
Steven, What did the Playpac sell for when new?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #72

Woody, I do have some old literature and magazine articles. Does your Playpac have the dome in the roof? I would love to see some photos. When and if you ever travel south with it please let me know. I would love to see it and meet you.
Steve

Quote:
It would be very interesting to see a magazine ad for the Play Pac if one exists. Has anybody seen one?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #73

Woody, happy trails with your new(old) egg. The basic unit called the Hitch Hut sold for around $995. The Super Hitch Hut sold for around $1300. My memory on the specifics is "fading" but my love for my "baby" is still burning bright. If you get down to Stuart Florida I will share the old literature I have with you. Wouldn't it be great to have a reunion of all current PlayPac owners?
Steve

Quote:
Just picked up my Playpac tonight in Zephyrhills, Fl. Let the fun begin...... .
Steven, What did the Playpac sell for when new?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #74

Steven, Thank you for the reply. We should have a Play Pac reunion in Stuart, FL. Get ALL the PlayPac owners together and get a group picture with you would be awsome. My PlayPac does not have the dome sky light in the roof. It must have be damaged in the past. There is now just a flat plexiglass cover on it. Im going to see if I can find some type of dome cover for the little guy. Here is a couple pics of the new family member.
Attached Thumbnails
PlayPac1.jpg   PlayPac2.jpg  

Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #75

The family has decided to sell the Hitch-Hut as the family is in need of a larger camper. If anyone is interested, please let me know as soon as possible as I currently have a solid offer from a couple in Michigan. You can see photos of it on page 5 of this topic. I also have some interior pictures in a topic that I posted in the "For Sale" forum. I hate to see it go!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #76

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nice looking trailer Woody
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #77

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post

Woody you can see one here: Popular Mechanics - Google Books

You can easily find this magazine on ebay by searching for Popular Mechanics March 1973
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #78

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Neat Magazine. How about the Play Pac being pulled by a VW bug? You have to wonder about today's tow vehicles.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #79

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Neat Magazine. How about the Play Pac being pulled by a VW bug? You have to wonder about today's tow vehicles.

Norm

I know! I guess that was the whole idea! Now if I can find anyway to get that roof sag out I can start on the little stuff!!
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #80

Name: jim
Trailer: 1973Playpac&1960Yellowstone
Florida
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven whysel View Post
Woody, I do have some old literature and magazine articles. Does your Playpac have the dome in the roof? I would love to see some photos. When and if you ever travel south with it please let me know. I would love to see it and meet you.
Steve
steve here is a couple pics of our playpac in the smokey mountains 2 weeks ago we live in panama city florida give us a shout,jim&Donna
Attached Thumbnails
100_1839.jpg   100_1841.jpg  

olhippiejim is offline   Reply With Quote