Chat with the inventor of the PLAYPAC - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #57

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Ohio
Ralph

I assume your asking for the other Steve address. Our family don't do well on keeping in contact so I'm not sure if there is a relationship there or not. My father has said that if the name is spelled the same that he is sure we are related. I am originally from Tiffin Ohio and at present still in the Air Force. I have had my Trillium trailer for somewhere around 6 years and it still looks like junk but I love it. My wife had backed down on her demands of buying a new one or not going camping with me for now. I hope my life slows down soon because I am finding it difficult to do anything for myself let alone to fix my toys. I loved reading about the trailers and why things happened the way they did. I was young in the 70's but I do remember the gas wars and the shortages.

Steve DeWeese

Old 04-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #58

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Play Pac Hitch Hut
Hello everyone,

I was researching the Playpac Hitch Hut and I am so glad I found this forum. My father still has an original Hitch Hut and I am ready to get it out of storage and take my 3 year old son out camping. I had no idea how rare this thing is! My father said there was something special about this little guy(the playpac)! I think we have the 101 model since we don't have the shower feature but we do have the chrome wheel discs. Were these an option on the 101? Right now I'm in the process of refurbing the upholstery and drapes. I'm guessing I'll get a lot of questions when I roll up in the playpac at the nearby campground. I'm 34 years old now and I've never seen one other than ours in person. Is it true that only 75 were built and does anybody have any idea how many are still in working condition? It is so neat to have this thing passed down thru the generations. When I was a kid, we travelled all the way from Indiana to Disney World in Orlando! I doubt if I will haul it that far since the tires and everything on it are still the originals. Speaking of tires, I probably need to replace them for safety reasons. Anybody have any suggestions on replacement tires?

I'm going to see if I can get any pictures of it posted on here in the near future.

Thanks, Kurt

Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #59

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I was researching the Playpac Hitch Hut and I am so glad I found this forum. My father still has an original Hitch Hut and I am ready to get it out of storage and take my 3 year old son out camping. I had no idea how rare this thing is! My father said there was something special about this little guy(the playpac)! I think we have the 101 model since we don't have the shower feature but we do have the chrome wheel discs. Were these an option on the 101? Right now I'm in the process of refurbing the upholstery and drapes. I'm guessing I'll get a lot of questions when I roll up in the playpac at the nearby campground. I'm 34 years old now and I've never seen one other than ours in person. Is it true that only 75 were built and does anybody have any idea how many are still in working condition? It is so neat to have this thing passed down thru the generations. When I was a kid, we travelled all the way from Indiana to Disney World in Orlando! I doubt if I will haul it that far since the tires and everything on it are still the originals. Speaking of tires, I probably need to replace them for safety reasons. Anybody have any suggestions on replacement tires?

I'm going to see if I can get any pictures of it posted on here in the near future.

Thanks, Kurt
Yes, you absolutely postively want to replace those tires! If you can see the size on the sidewall you will want to buy the same size. If you can't... maybe someone else here knows the correct size. As for brand, many people say good things about Goodyear Marathon trailer tires.

Happy camping!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #60

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Florida
Kurt, I would hazzard a guess that there are probably still about 7-10 above ground. I honestly don't recall if chrome hub caps were an option or standard equipment. I plan to go through my old records and will see if I have that info. I have been contacted by Matt H who plans to make a documentary on the early glass eggs and will include the Playpac. I would love to see some photos of your PlayPac when it's ready to roll. Happy trails
PaPac (Steve Whysel)
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #61

Steve,

I'm sure glad you checked back on the message board. I was hoping I would get a reply from you! We just finished up a 3 day/2 night camping trip to Lincoln State Park Campground in Southwestern Indiana and we had a blast except for a few rain showers during the trip. I am sure glad I had the Playpac versus a tent!!! I am going to post a few photos for you and the other Playpac fans to see. Ours has been kept inside its whole life so it is really in great condition.

If you look at the photos, my Father had added a few little creature comforts, but kept it mostly in original condition. The fist item you'll notice is the little eagle looking badges by the door and on the front. This badge has the little bubble levels in them so you can get the camper leveled out at the campsite. As you can see from the picture, we were on a sloped pad!

The other thing that might jump out at you are the two screen vents on the front side. My father had put a small window air conditioner unit in the original cabinet underneath the sink and sealed up the unit to those vents so one is the intake and the other vent is for the hot air exhaust. It is pretty slick and make it nice and cool in the Hitch Hut. If anybody is interested in that, I can take some photos of it to show how it sits in there. I have it out right now to get the refrigerant recharged.

One other thing you might notice is left of the door and below the badges is a double electical outlet that he installed so you now have power for radios and lights, etc. for you little patio area.

Anyway, here are some pictures! I'll take some more of the interior and get them posted soon.

Kurt

PS: If anybody wants a copy of the high resolution files (10MP), let me know by email. My email address is kurtnval[at]insightbb.com
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2068.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #62

Here is pic #2

Kurt

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2078.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #63

Pic #3

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2079.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #64

Pic #4

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2080.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #65

Pic #5

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2081.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #66

Pic #6

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2082.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #67

And finally Pic #7

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2083.jpg  
Old 05-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #68

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Florida
Kurt, glad you had a great first outing with your Playpac "Hitch hut". Your egg looks like it is in great shape. I was recently contacted by a documentary film maker who is going to make a doc. about the birth and early years of the glass egg. He will include the Playpac Hitch hut. I have "dug up" early magazine articles, photos, advertising, brochures and the original warranty papers that went with the HH. I just got a printer/ scanner and will try to scan some of these and send them to this site. I will need some guidance from all those on the site as to where and how to go about posting the items.
If there ary any Playpac owners who plan to be in Florida this year I would love to hear from them. We have moved back from Las Vegas to Stuart, FL. I was told that very few of the early founders of the fiberglass egg industry are still "above ground". One reason I am still "kicking" is that I was 31 when the Playpac adventure began.
PaPac (Steve Whysel)

Quote:
Steve,

I'm sure glad you checked back on the message board. I was hoping I would get a reply from you! We just finished up a 3 day/2 night camping trip to Lincoln State Park Campground in Southwestern Indiana and we had a blast except for a few rain showers during the trip. I am sure glad I had the Playpac versus a tent!!! I am going to post a few photos for you and the other Playpac fans to see. Ours has been kept inside its whole life so it is really in great condition.

If you look at the photos, my Father had added a few little creature comforts, but kept it mostly in original condition. The fist item you'll notice is the little eagle looking badges by the door and on the front. This badge has the little bubble levels in them so you can get the camper leveled out at the campsite. As you can see from the picture, we were on a sloped pad!

The other thing that might jump out at you are the two screen vents on the front side. My father had put a small window air conditioner unit in the original cabinet underneath the sink and sealed up the unit to those vents so one is the intake and the other vent is for the hot air exhaust. It is pretty slick and make it nice and cool in the Hitch Hut. If anybody is interested in that, I can take some photos of it to show how it sits in there. I have it out right now to get the refrigerant recharged.

One other thing you might notice is left of the door and below the badges is a double electical outlet that he installed so you now have power for radios and lights, etc. for you little patio area.

Anyway, here are some pictures! I'll take some more of the interior and get them posted soon.

Kurt

PS: If anybody wants a copy of the high resolution files (10MP), let me know by email. My email address is kurtnval[at]insightbb.com
Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #69

Steve,

If the film maker needs any video footage of the hitch-hut and wants to travel to Indiana, we can take it out to the campground for them!!!

Kurt
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #70

Trailer: Play Pac Hawaiitch Hut
It would be very interesting to see a magazine ad for the Play Pac if one exists. Has anybody seen one?