Cheap Olympian Wave3 Catalytic Heater - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Jake, Good idea using the plumbing vent. But I thought you had a Wave3 ? I just bought a Wave 3 and hope it's big enough to do the job in my Horizon. The one thing the Horizon does have is 1" thick insulated walls, so I don't think it will take much to put some warmth in the trailer. Tim

Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
That is effectively what I did, except I just used the stuff that was already there from the Plat Cat. I only added the hole and grate to cover.

The cold that failed me was in the low teens, (13-14) and indeed, when directly in front of the heater, it was much warmer.

However, I was at 8k feet, and I already have oxygenation issues (I wasn't joking, I only have one lung) and it is imperative I have proper ventilation, not only for the heater, but for my COPD. The air is thin up there as it is, I don't need to compete with a heater

Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Quote:
That is effectively what I did, except I just used the stuff that was already there from the Plat Cat. I only added the hole and grate to cover.

The cold that failed me was in the low teens, (13-14) and indeed, when directly in front of the heater, it was much warmer.

However, I was at 8k feet, and I already have oxygenation issues (I wasn't joking, I only have one lung) and it is imperative I have proper ventilation, not only for the heater, but for my COPD. The air is thin up there as it is, I don't need to compete with a heater

Gina -

I understand completely, and am sorry to hear about your COPD.

My install is basically the leftover from the Plat Cat as well. It's a great idea, and Olympian should include such a kit with their heaters - although it only amounts to about $15 in partss.

Tim -

I have the Wave6, but the Wave3 is certainly enough. I use my Wave6 on "low" most of the time, which is lower BTU than the Wave3 at "high". I sprung for the Wave6 so I could turn it on and quickly heat up the trailer, then turn it down to low. But the Wave3 should be just fine for you.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY

Tim -

I have the Wave6, but the Wave3 is certainly enough. I use my Wave6 on "low" most of the time, which is lower BTU than the Wave3 at "high". I sprung for the Wave6 so I could turn it on and quickly heat up the trailer, then turn it down to low. But the Wave3 should be just fine for you.
[/quote]

Jake, Thanks for the info. Tim
Old 10-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
By "flex tubing on the exposed parts" do you mean you slipped rubber or plastic hose over the copper line where exposed under the trailer, or you actually converted to flex lines in those areas?

As for mounting to the fiberglass, I take it that you surface-mounted it rather than cutting an opening of some sort to recess it part way back into the closet. Might not be room under the door to do that anyway without hitting the wheel well. Looks like I could at least run the line up inside the closet just in front of the wheel well to minimize exposure in the living area.

This is looking more and more like a fun project.

Parker
My gas line is one continuous piece from T to heater (fewer places to leak) -- The hard plastic flex tubing is split down the side, the kind one puts over electric wire bundles (aka cable loom) -- I just used four bolts through the closet wall to surface mount it -- If it ever needs to be removed, there will only need to be four white plastic plugs installed -- Also, I like the heater body out in the open where I can see it -- If it had been too hot, I would have installed standoffs, but this way is more sturdy when' traveling the roads less graveled'.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
My gas line is one continuous piece from T to heater (fewer places to leak)
Aha! You answered my remaining question. I was wondering if it's possible to make the run with a single piece. Well done!

The road less graveled.....I like it.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Mine was mounted inside the door, on the side of the closet......
Hi Gina -

I was just installing a Wave heater in my new 16', and noticed that it states right on the heater that it needs at least 30" clearance in front of the heater. I remembered you had mounted yours in this location, so I measured. On the Scamp, putting a heater in this location does not give the proper clearance. I have no idea about the Burro, but thought I would put this info up in case anyone else is considering mounting a Wave heater in this location in a Scamp.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
altho I didn't measure specifically, the distance seemed quite adequate, and very close to that measurement. The cubby cover directly in front was in no danger. It was mildly warm to the touch, but nowhere near *hot*.

I had a front dinette and that is where I sat most of the time. I felt no adverse heat on my clothes, and one of my dogs would often curl up directly across from the heater. I trust the "dogometer".. they don't like overheating.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #23

"dogometer".... I like that!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Just a heads up - saw this great price on new Olympian Wave3 heaters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_RV-Trailer...p4506.m20.l1116
Just thought I'd post a message to say that I bought one of the Wave 3 heaters from this ebay vendor, and all went well. Received a new heater, double boxed, about one week after ordering. (No other affiliation with the vendor)

Parker

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #25

Name: Billy
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / Mazda B3000 Dual Sport 2002
California
Quote:
Based on experience, is a 3,000 BTU unit enough for a 13' Scamp, down to 20 F or so?

It looks like this needs to be plumbed to the 20# tank. I'm trying to think where to mount it to make that practical.
Hi Parker,

These heaters "feel" warmer if you can get it aimed at you. We have a Perris Pacer 13' that has the front bench/bunk bed. The fiberglass vertical face under the bench has a nice wooden access door (hiding the porta-potty). I recently hung a new Wave3 on wood screws on the door. The heater points across the trailer directly at the dining table. Time will tell if the mounting is secure. I "tee'd" into the gas line (with a seperate shut off valve) which enters the trailer under this same bench.

good luck!
Billy
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Hi Parker,

I recently hung a new Wave3 on wood screws on the door. The heater points across the trailer directly at the dining table. Time will tell if the mounting is secure. I "tee'd" into the gas line (with a seperate shut off valve) which enters the trailer under this same bench.
Billy,

Interesting idea! As others have done, I was planning on installing mine just below the closet door in our Scamp, which would have it aiming across at the cupboard below the sink. I was counting on re-radition to help warm the surrounding area. Never thought about putting it where you did (the Scamp has a similar bench arrangement to your Pacer). That would have it aiming toward our bed in the back. And they do recommend mounting it low. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. I guess you transition to flex hose for the door to work. I think it would be a matter of how safe it would be from being damaged there, which I could mitigate with a cover. That's also more weight than the hinges were designed for, but they could be changed out easily enough to a piano hinge.

Thanks for posting!

Parker
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #27

Name: Billy
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / Mazda B3000 Dual Sport 2002
California
Quote:
I guess you transition to flex hose for the door to work. I think it would be a matter of how safe it would be from being damaged there, which I could mitigate with a cover. That's also more weight than the hinges were designed for, but they could be changed out easily enough to a piano hinge.
Hi Parker,

I had a 12' low pressure rubber gas hose so I attached it to the valve. It's coiled up and stored under the bench. I purchased the 90* elbow brass fitting and the leg stands for the heater from the manufacturer (see back page of the user guide). As an occasional alternative to the door mounting, I should be able to quickly adapt the legs, pull out the hose, and set the heater up on top of the stove cover or elsewhere.

thx
Billy
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #28

Better late than never, but I finally got a photo of my Olympian installation. It is mounted under the closet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	16837

I installed a vent to the outside, which runs behind the heater through the closet. The vent can be seen next to the door in this photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	16838

This is a nice arrangment, as it gives the required "low vent" for the heater, and I only need to crack a window or else the roof vent a 1/2 inch to get the required ventilation.