check out local trailers? - lower Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
check out local trailers? - lower Michigan

Hey, I'm starting to look for a fiberglass trailer. I'm not decided on manufacturer. Would love to be able to see some in person. I've contacted Scamp, Casita and Escape. The only response I got was from Escape, but the couple they suggested I contact have not answered their phone for a week now. Must be out traveling.

Would love to hear from someone in the Port Huron/Croswell area who might be willing to give me a tour. Maybe this is a taboo , for security concerns. I was surprised that I couldn't find any post suggesting this to noob's.

Thanks, Lyle
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I got responses and list of local owners from both Scamp and Casita. Did you say "please"?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, "Please" might a lot better word to get their attention with than "Hey".... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I am pretty sure I saw a note on Casita's website that they were shut down for summer holidays for the past two weeks. You will probably get a response when they are back and all caught up.
ClareM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
MCDenny lives over your way and has a Lil Snoozy. No idea if he's around home, though.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #6

None
Thanks Mike, I'll send him a PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

None
Probably right Clare. I'll give them a few more days, then maybe call instead of email.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:31 AM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'm almost all the way across the state from you but you're welcome to look at my Escape 19. Send me a private message if interested.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Big Rapids area

Hi,

We are in the Big Rapids area (± 25 mi se) and have a Camp 16'.
We are heading to the U.P. with it on Wed and not back for about 10 days.

Welcome to come see it and get a tour.

Bruce
Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

None
Thanks BatDude.

I wouldn't be able to get there before Wed, so it would have to wait until you got back. Perhaps the first week in August. I have a request in for some names from Scamp, so if they come through in between now and then I might find one closer to check out. I know there is one in the area - I've seen it on the road!

I'll let you know after you are back. Thanks!

By the way, Have a great trip!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
We have a 1995 Casita we would be willing to show you. We are in Jackson, about 2 and a half hrs away.
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #12

None
Thanks Nancy.
Casita came through today with several folks within an hour or so of me, so I should be set. If something comes up that I can't work out a tour with these guys, I may take you up. I'll let you know.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Not right away but http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-67391.html

Rally in Algonac would give you a chance to see a lot of models and right down the road from you. Hoping to see Bob's Escape there myself this Sept.

Or if you don't mind a little driving you might be able to hit one of the other rallies. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aps-67269.html

Not uncommon to have a time set aside for wandering around checking out each others campers and modifications. Sort of an open house.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #14

None
Dang, would love to be there, but I will be in California and Colorado backpacking from Aug 13 through Sept 21 this year.

Perhaps the Lancaster, PA rally in October would work for me. I have very good friends that I visit regularly about 25 minutes from Lancaster, so could combine the trip.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Can't beat a rally for getting to see a lot of possibilities in one shot, and I think they would be fun even if one could only make a day of it. Motel camping and tenting are another couple of options. Bring a store bought relish or cheese tray to the potluck and it is all good. Box of wine can be a welcome addition too at least at some rallies.

Sorry won't see you there at Algonac but say high to the rockies for me while your out there. Have family in Colo. and always enjoy visiting the area.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Are you hoping to buy a trailer in time for your hiking trip?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
If your in the LA area you could come by the happier camper lot and check out 7 different trailer makes as well as the new HCI
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #18

None
No, will not be buying before the trip.

This is pretty much solid backpacking. Four days driving out to California, two days acclimating at altitude, then three weeks solid backpacking on the John Muir Trail. After that 4 days to meander to Estes Parke, CO. Possibly stopping a day or so at Zion then Three days hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park, then a 35 year reunion for a cross country backpacking trip I did in 1980 & 81. Will be a great trip. Don't think I'll have time to drive on to LA - will be with a friend.

I'll try to get myself to a rally. I went to a large dealer- several hundred trailers/motor homes on the lot- to look around. I was very disappointed. They had exactly 1 stick built that I would even consider. A 24 footer. All the rest of their trailers were either large fifth wheels or monster motor homes. About a dozen Class C. Went into a few of the Class C's but, overall, it was a waste of an hour+ drive each way.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #19

None
Scamp/Casita come through

Since I originally said I had received no response from Scamp or Casita earlier, I just though I owed it to them to update.

Stuffed in my Mailbox yesterday was a large envelope with brochures and price lists for Scamp and Casita with instructions to call them for referrals, which I did. I'm in the process of setting up some visits for later this week or next. Will have to do a bit of a road trip, as only a couple are what I would really consider local.

Also in the mail yesterday was a brochure and price list from Escape (still haven't gotten an answer on the phone for their referral). Also, and I don't remember requesting this, but apparently I did, was a brochure and price list from OLIVER. WOW! Nice trailer, no doubt, but way out of my league financially.

Yesterday was a bonanza for receiving info. Spent several hours pricing out various options. Most are falling into my expectations. Surprised that Escape is lower than I anticipated, once the monetary exchange rate is factored in. Still expensive, but a pleasant surprise.

Thanks to all who have responded thus far, taking all your comments/suggestions into consideration.

Heading over to see MCDenny's Lil Snoozy tomorrow morning - thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #20

Name: Mary Lou
Trailer: Casita 16' SD
Michigan
16' Casita in Lansing

I have a 2015 Casita 16' SD in Lansing you're welcome to come look at.