Check out this fiberglass beast :) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Check out this fiberglass beast :)

Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nice but not for me.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I would love the option of being able to go any where I wanted but for the EarthCruiser FX 190,000-235,000 us dollars I will never be able to afford that luxury! Nice toy for the rich guy!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Pretty cool, but way out of my budget!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
That's nice and it's unique because it fits in a shipping container, but it's cost is pocket change compared to the Colorado-built Earth Roamer at $415k to $575k.

EarthRoamer

https://vimeo.com/118072292
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #6

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
My daily stops on the net include a great forum named "Expedition Portal" that is a _home_ for many owners of such rigs.

My wife and I drooled over the ER and similar rigs years ago (you can find the ER used for ~$120K range) but as others have noted, not quite in the budget for us either.

The other thing for us was the idea that IF we had such a rig we would _have to_ go off the beaten path to make it seem like it was in its element ( ? ). There are annual gatherings of such rigs in places like AZ and similar. And from what I've read they really aren't quite at home in forested areas like our preferred PNW...low branches tend to take chunks out of the pretty roof.

In our current rig (the AWD van that is off-road comfy) we do tend to find ourselves going off alone up into the wilds _maybe_ more than we should by our lonesome? We've never gotten a "The Hills Have Eyes" sort of creepiness in a remote camp, but you do wonder... or maybe I should not watch so many scary movies?

: ) Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
The other thing for us was the idea that IF we had such a rig we would _have to_ go off the beaten path to make it seem like it was in its element ( ? ). There are annual gatherings of such rigs in places like AZ and similar. And from what I've read they really aren't quite at home in forested areas like our preferred PNW...low branches tend to take chunks out of the pretty roof.

In our current rig (the AWD van that is off-road comfy) we do tend to find ourselves going off alone up into the wilds _maybe_ more than we should by our lonesome? We've never gotten a "The Hills Have Eyes" sort of creepiness in a remote camp, but you do wonder... or maybe I should not watch so many scary movies?

I checked out your build thread on your current van, Thom... that's an amazing rig you've got.

I agree about taking an expedition vehicle places you probably ought not go anyway... I'm really happy with my 2WD moho. It'll go off-road as much as I need it to.
Attached Thumbnails
Millenium-Falcon-on-Tatooine.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #8

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
...I'm really happy with my 2WD moho. It'll go off-road as much as I need it to.
Nice rig Roger. Cari and I checked out the larger chevy based class c units at nearly all the Portland RV shows we attended.

And thank you for the van-kudos! It has been a five year project...and still continues : )

Thom
Old 02-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Nice rig Roger. Cari and I checked out the larger chevy based class c units at nearly all the Portland RV shows we attended.

And thank you for the van-kudos! It has been a five year project...and still continues : )

Thom
I've suggested to Born Free that they build an "Expedition Lite" motorhome on the F550 4WD chassis. They could build them for under $300k I think.

I also have a '95 Coachmen B-Van, but in 2WD of course. It gets a lot of use.

Shortly after I picked up the Born Free last summer, I was on my way out to Portland to visit my son, and met and chatted with the guy (and his wife) who is full-timing in this one. It was an interesting rig. It has been to the south tip of South America and back.

Kodiak C4500 Duramax expedition truck by Roger H, on Flickr

Kodiak C4500 Duramax expedition truck by Roger H, on Flickr
Old 02-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #10

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
I've suggested to Born Free that they build an "Expedition Lite" motorhome on the F550 4WD chassis...
I was on my way out to Portland to visit my son, and met and chatted with the guy (and his wife) who is full-timing in this one. It was an interesting rig...
Totally agree w/your idea on the BF+F550 4WD!!

OK, spooooky.
When I posted my "Nice rig Roger" reply I thought; "Hey I gotta link to the guy w/the camper on the 4x4 Kodiak that is traveling the country, Roger would get a kick out of that!"

Yes, very cool rig and owner. I've followed his adventures via the expo forum for several years.

Thom
Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Totally agree w/your idea on the BF+F550 4WD!!

OK, spooooky.
When I posted my "Nice rig Roger" reply I thought; "Hey I gotta link to the guy w/the camper on the 4x4 Kodiak that is traveling the country, Roger would get a kick out of that!"

Yes, very cool rig and owner. I've followed his adventures via the expo forum for several years.

Thom
Too funny Thom! Yes, we chatted for about an hour about all things Kodiak and his travails (and travels) with his C4500 Duramax. After talking with him, I was even more glad that mine is the 8.1L gasser.

Do you have a link to that forum? It sounds like a fun place.

FWIW, Born Free is building a couple of their models on the F550 now, and they'll build one on the 4WD chassis as a special order. I don't think they've done it yet, but they said it wouldn't be a problem to do it. Of course, that's waaaay out of MY price range... I bought this '06 Born Free 32RQ last summer with 32k miles on it for about a tenth of what a new F550 4WD unit would cost, although I think the floorplan on mine is the best they've ever come up with.

The only problem with the Born Free as a true "expedition vehicle" would be that the cab and coach wouldn't be able to articulate separately, so you couldn't take it the same places as an EarthRoamer, for example... but for 99% of what most sane people do with their motorhomes in the US, a 4WD BF would be awesome.

Discover Born Free RV

Discover Born Free RV
Old 02-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #12

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Too funny Thom!...but for 99% of what most sane people do with their motorhomes in the US, a 4WD BF would be awesome.
For sure on the 99%.
Cari and I gave up the 4WD for AWD for our soggy PNW conditions as it made more sense. Back in the day when we were living in Reno and assisting a local off-road club help maintain a small section of the Rubicon Trail the 4x4 was part of life. When we moved to Oregon we rarely found ourselves in need of it, but the AWD vehicles we've had through the years (Volvo cross-country awd wagons) and now the van have helped probably in more situations than we realized as it is all automatic traction/awd control.

Here is the link to Expedition Portal Forums. When you have time read some of the back articles to Overland Journal (the same fellow owns Expo/Overland). Some good reading. I go by Accrete over there too (my domain name accrete.com).

Old 02-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #13

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Beautiful! I would have ordered one, but my oil wells aren't producing enough revenue. My stocks are also down. Oh well.

Sent from my Nexus using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

Quote:
For sure on the 99%.
Cari and I gave up the 4WD for AWD for our soggy PNW conditions as it made more sense. Back in the day when we were living in Reno and assisting a local off-road club help maintain a small section of the Rubicon Trail the 4x4 was part of life. When we moved to Oregon we rarely found ourselves in need of it, but the AWD vehicles we've had through the years (Volvo cross-country awd wagons) and now the van have helped probably in more situations than we realized as it is all automatic traction/awd control.

Here is the link to Expedition Portal Forums. When you have time read some of the back articles to Overland Journal (the same fellow owns Expo/Overland). Some good reading. I go by Accrete over there too (my domain name accrete.com).

Thanks for the link, Thom. I'll check that out.

I had a Y2K Astro AWD that proved itself a VERY competent bad-weather car in Iowa snow. I still regret selling that one, although it just wasn't big enough to tow a 34' Airstream tri-axle. I'm sure after another ten years of refinement that the Chevy AWD system is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Beautiful! I would have ordered one, but my oil wells aren't producing enough revenue. My stocks are also down. Oh well.
Marky, you need to invest in more oil futures while the values are low. Buy low, sell high.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #15

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
the ER is a beast! I'd need some major step stools to get to everything lol
Old 03-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
the ER is a beast! I'd need some major step stools to get to everything lol
I think you ought to buy yourself an EarthRoamer, and then set up a weekend where we can all take tours.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #17

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cool

: ) and for those who have a family, want to tour the continent ....

I present to you The F650 based EcoRoamer

he also has a build thread over at Expo...this thing is WAAAAAY beyond the Earthroamer on its F550 chassis.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 AM   #18

Oh... wow. Did I say WOW?

That is one amazing expedition truck!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #19

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Absolutely !

And it gets better...
If you happen to follow/read what the rig is all about you find out he and his family built the thing! There was one picture of he and the family way up some AZ trail with a bunch of jeepers and such. He made the trip and certainly had the nicest bathroom in camp : )

They homeschool their kids. What a treat to grow up in an environment of discovery like the parents are providing.

Here is a direct link to his build thread at Expedition Portal

Thom