Checked out the Scamps at the MN State Fair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Checked out the Scamps at the MN State Fair

I checked out the Scamps. They had two 13', two 16', and a fifth. It was my first time being in the 16'. Chatting with the guys, I found it a little disappointing that if you order new, that you can't upgrade to the 54" bed in the 16' unless you buy the deluxe model. I don't think I would want one with the smaller bed after having the 54", the beds looked like a twin size to me. Maybe I just got spoiled having the 54" in my 13 deluxe. It's just me and Butch (the Schnauzer) but I like the extra room as he's a bed hog. I guess I will be keeping what I have for now.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #2

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
New scamps have changed in the past few years. You can only get certain options with certain models. Bummer. Would have liked to see all of them together. Are you from anywhere near Hibbing, I lived there when I was 7-12. And then again when I was 16-17. Cold winters. Brrrrrrr
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Winter from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sullivan View Post
New scamps have changed in the past few years. You can only get certain options with certain models. Bummer. Would have liked to see all of them together. Are you from anywhere near Hibbing, I lived there when I was 7-12. And then again when I was 16-17. Cold winters. Brrrrrrr
I spent a couple years living in Hibbing by the Old Hull Rust mine . One winter the temp stayed below Zero 24 Hrs/Day for 45 straight days . We went to work several mornings when the Temps were -52 to -56 Deg F . Working outside at those temps was a real treat and something I will long remember.
We wore Sorel boots with 2 liners plus a pair of wool socks and a pair of poly socks . We changed liners and socks at lunch otherwise they froze to your feet and made it impossible to get the boots off your feet at the end of the work day

I still like cold weather better than hot weather. Any thing above 75 Deg F is too warm for me
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Minnesota
Mike & Steve... I'm only about 20 miles from Hibbing, so I do know about the COLD winters around here. I hope to be able to spend part of my winters in FL in a few years, but that's thinking ahead as lots of changes in my life are taking place right now. I love visiting Florida.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 08-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
Mary Ann, keep me in mind if you come down to Fl for a visit or whatever. We would love for you to drop in. As far as that goes, anyone reading this has an open invite to let me know when and if you going to be in the Bradenton, Fl area and we'll see about hooking up.
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #6

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I showed one of the guys our '98 remodel video. They were amused...liked it too.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sullivan View Post
Mary Ann, keep me in mind if you come down to Fl for a visit or whatever. We would love for you to drop in. As far as that goes, anyone reading this has an open invite to let me know when and if you going to be in the Bradenton, Fl area and we'll see about hooking up.

Thanks Mike, That's very kind of you.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #8

Name: Kat
Trailer: 13' scamp
Minnesota
I checked out scamp tonight at the fair also . It was hot but the crew was less then interactive : (
In person I'm glad I found an older one last month to buy as I would change things on even the new ones. I think the exterior sealants did look a bit messy and they didn't bring an deluxe that I noticed : ( they could of had one with air going as a selling point lol . Fun to see - now I'll just keep puttering with mine !!!
Screaminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Yes, the standard bed in the Scamps' are narrow. A little wider than a twin, but not by much. Certainly not as wide as a full.

I believe it has always been just in the Deluxe (Wooden Interior) Scamps one could get the wider ones as an option. At least it was in 2005 when we order ours. I'm pretty certain one can't get a wider bed in a 13' either without going with a Deluxe model. {Post Edit: After posting, I checked another post 13' Scamp Bed Size. Seems one can now get the wider beds in the new 13' Standards only without going Deluxe. According to 'floyd'.}
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The standard 13 Scamp with the front bath/shower now comes with a 54" wide bed, however you can order the 54" wide bed on any new 13ft Scamp Standard as an option. This applies ONLY to the 13 SCamp.

The regular 44" bed is still available on the non bath/shower version.

Of course the 54" wide bed is available on ALL Deluxe model Scamps of all sizes.
The 54" wide bed is not available on the Standard 16 or the 5er.

The official widths are 44" and 54" .
The trailer is 80" wide so the length is that, minus twice the wall thickness .
My wife & I managed with the narrow bed for several years. Learned in 2009 to sleep head to toe. Gives us more elbow room & now it keeps my CPAP machine from bothering her. I'm about 6' - 220 lbs. She is 5' 3" mabye 110 or so lbs.

We did the same in an Aliner with a wider bed in Alaska this summer after a couple of nights trying the side by side route. Worked much better.

My daughter always liked the MN State Fair when she was up there about 11 or 12 years ago. Got married near Orono 10 years go. Left soon after.

My daughter & her hubby rented a new 16' Scamp (Standard Bed model with front bunks) this summer in Arizona. He is 6' 3" & she is 5' 4". They slept ok without going head to toe. Only complaint was the bed was a little too hard.

It was too hard for us as well in ours, we added egg crate foam padding (about 3 layers) to ours. We also bought a foam pad in Alaska to use in the Aliner, plus used the one our son had already. It helped.

Rented Aliner at Resurrection Bay & Son's Lance TC.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminge View Post
I checked out scamp tonight at the fair also . It was hot but the crew was less then interactive : (
That was my experience last year at the fair. I tried to strike up a conversation with them and got blank stares.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #11

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhanso View Post
That was my experience last year at the fair. I tried to strike up a conversation with them and got blank stares.
Working a county or state fair would be an excellent opportunity for RV dealers and sales staff to connect with potential buyers but I'm also aware of how physically and mentally demanding working one of those fairs are for sales staff.

My father years ago used to sell RV's and during the weeklong county fair which is 2nd in size to the state fair in SD he would just be wiped out after working each day from morning to evening being in that heat and humidity. It's you livelihood and your running on energy you didn't realize you had to help folks the best you can. It would take him a day or two just to recover after the fair. lol

With the recent high temperatures and high humidity covering Minnesota, South Dakota and a few other upper plains states I can only imagine what it's like for those poor Scamp sales staff there especially if shade was limited working the morning to evening hours. Their minds and bodies were probably close to shut down and rest mode. lol It's fun, stimulating and great to see old friends and customers at the fair while working but it is hard especially in those late summer temps.

It would be great to have an air conditioned Scamp there but I'm thinking you would have folks in there not wanting to leave thus blocking others who may want to check that model out. lol

I miss the Minnesota Great Get Together!
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #12

Name: Kat
Trailer: 13' scamp
Minnesota
I've worked the fair in hot hot weather open to close every day - so I know what it's like . The 3 staff sat at a table under awning and never spoke or stood up as I and others checked out the campers - seemed totally disinterested . Was interesting the sales material looks just like the 1980 material in my scamp folder - just different prices : )
Screaminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #13

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
That's not good at all! I hope they will be little more enthusiastic when I stop in Backous late September or early October. I wonder if they were their normal sales staff or just attendants at the fair watching over the trailers who helped tow them there and will bring them back. Either way that's not a good way to represent their product. It's a missed opportunity.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #14

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
The heat, humidity and a bazillion people have taken their toll apparently. I was there on the second day of the fair and spoke with both sales consultants including Wayne with whom I've corresponded with previously. They were both helpful and engaged at that time.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminge View Post
I've worked the fair in hot hot weather open to close every day - so I know what it's like . The 3 staff sat at a table under awning and never spoke or stood up as I and others checked out the campers - seemed totally disinterested . Was interesting the sales material looks just like the 1980 material in my scamp folder - just different prices : )
Take a look, here is the brochure, circa 1980.... followed by it's next replacement.

Notice the change to modern windows,new logo, white wheels ,wedding cake lights, and a full sized powered roof vent. (out of tiny Acorns...)

I guess the kid grew up and left home between Scamps?! That's lots of aging in only a few years!
Where's that missing Lynx now?...Oh, well,I prefer that first TV anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp brochure.jpg   gerber30057.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Take a look, here is the brochure, circa 1980.... followed by it's replacement.
Notice the change to modern windows, white wheels ,and a full sized powered roof vent.
I guess the kid grew up and left home between Scamps?! That's lots of aging in only a few years!
I prefer the first TV though.
So SCAMP updates the brochure every 15 yrs or so. Must be getting close to time for a new one.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
So SCAMP updates the brochure every 15 yrs or so. Must be getting close to time for a new one.
They have had several in the last few years, the latest came out in (I think) June of this year and is already due for modifications.
There has always been a policy of constant improvement at Scamp, as illustrated in my previous post and by the many changes in recent years.
I just thought that Scamp Aficionados would enjoy that post.

Save your Escape Brochure, to see just how often they change in 35 years. it can be fun,that is if they still have printed brochures.
You may just have to view the info on a two month old obsolete I-Phone.

Printed material is rapidly fading away anyway, but they say every virtual keystroke is stashed away in some huge database awaiting an FOIA form...printed.... in triplicate!
Both trailers will be "Classyfied" of course.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp