Checking youself - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Checking youself

Roger made a comment in the thread of a member having a problem getting the coupler locked on a new trailer that jogged my mind. He said if someone else touched it....check it yourself.
I retired from a large utility company and we had 100's of trailers. I had a rule that I passed on to many new employees about towing. If someone else guides you back to hitch up even if they do all the connections, always recheck them yourself. If I backed someone up the only thing I did was to drop the trailer on the ball or pintel, no chains, air brakes or electric and always told the driver to finish it up and check everything including the load. The driver was responcible and the company surely didn't need a deep pocket lawsuit because they thought the other person hooked everything up correctly. Must have worked as I never heard of a problem.
I do have another kind of funny story from work way back that has transfered over to the way I tow/check now. The trailers I used during work were almost never disconnected from the trucks my unit used. One day on a job one of the guys disconnected my trailer. We finished the job and went to move on to the next one. Of course when I looked back after 100' my trailer was still sitting there. It was funny and only took a few minutes to hook up again but it did make an impression on me. Always did a walk around after that. Any time I stop now, fuel, rest or whatever I always check the hookup and feel the axles for temp as most of us here do. I also tow a Manx dune buggy with a towbar. Anytime I stop and am away from it, I alway check to make sure some yahoo hasn't thought it would be funny to put the car in gear before I move. That happened to a friend of mine, big bucks to fix it. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it .

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Good advice right there. Assumptions can get you in trouble. Back when I was running construction crews I would try and set up the scaffolding my crews worked on. I would take the laborers and do it myself as I felt it was important for everyone's safety. None the less, I would tell my men to always check a scaffold before they got on it, every time. Invariably somebody would ask “you set it up didn’t you?” I would say “yes, and if it falls down I will feel bad, you will be the one busted up or dead”.

But more on topic, a bud relayed the following pitiful tale to me just last week. Seems his wife and stepdaughter drove a few hundred miles West to purchase a golf cart they just had to have. Rather than take one of many perfectly good trailers sitting around the place they elected to rent one from U-Haul at the destination to avoid towing the whole round trip, and I suppose in case they ended up not buying the cart. Anyway,they got all the way home and in unloading the cart the trailer jumped off the ball. It had never been tightened downf or the whole trip. The guy at U-Haul had hooked it up for them and had apparently not tightened it down. Scary stuff right there, and the poster child for safety chains.

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
Name: Phil
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500 (previously a 1978 Trillium 4500, Rpod 171 and Surveyor SV251)
Good point about somebody tampering with the gear shift on the Manx.

It reminded me of a trip my parents took in their trailer years ago on the Gaspe peninsula in Quebec. They stopped at a place for lunch and weren't able to sit where they could see their trailer. A couple of hours later when they stopped for gas they found the hold downs for the propane tank had been loosened - completely backed off, in fact. Was it a case of somebody thinking it would be funny to do that, did someone have something against an Ontario plated vehicle or was someone interrupted who was trying to steal the propane tank? We'll never know, but the propane tank is yet another thing I check on my own trailer as I do my circle check at each stop.
77 Trillium 4500
Phil 4500 is offline   Reply With Quote