Chiggers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Chiggers

I think I got my first dose of chiggers. I applied nail polish remover. Snuffs the boogering itch out.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Another reason I like New Mexico & the Southwest, no chiggers.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Alcohol and sand, they get drunk and throw rocks at each other.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Oh gawd, I had no idea of this chigger remedy!

I learned about chiggers the accidental way. Somehow we didn't have these in southwest PA where I grew up. I went hiking in the new jersey pine barrens many summers ago with my husband, and it's possible we got a little busy in off the trail, and try explaining THAT pattern of chigger bites to your doc.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
You could make a mosquito control kit that ought to work just fine on chiggers. You need a block of wood and a mallet. Get the chiggers on the block and give 'em a whack with the mallet. Hard psrt is getting them on the block. Wonder how hydrogen peroxide would work on the itch. We use it on ticks and they back right out. Hydrocortisone and/or Preparation H ought to help with the itch.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Jen,

If you camp in SW PA, you should know that you DO have them. My hobby is genealogy, and my ancestors are from SW PA. I was hiking in a cemetery a couple of years ago and spent the rest of the vacation scratching chigger bites. Nail polish did not help. I got a little relief from stuff at Walgreens but not much.

CindyL
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
That's weird because I swear to you I spent my childhood roaming around the woods on foot with no special bug protection, and my teenagehood roaming around the woods on horseback, with a LOT of contact with weeds and grass and stuff. There were ticks but no chiggers. I'd never even heard of these things till they attacked me in new jersey. Anyway, I am acutely aware of them now. I got chawed so badly and had such a serious histamine reaction that it required a massive dose of steriods and antibiotics. Mess.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Nother

In Iowa we remove any leg hair in a small strip down the middle then squirt liter fluid on each side where the hair is, lite it on fire then stab them with an ice pick when they run to the shaved patch.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
clove oil is the very best for chigger itch ,and attacks
Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #10

Indiana
Chiggers love Belly Buttons, especially the innies.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #11

This is from the web:

What is the treatment for chigger bites?

Many home remedies for chigger bites are based upon the incorrect belief that chiggers burrow into and remain in the skin. Nail polish, alcohol, and bleach have been applied to the bites to attempt to "suffocate" or kill the chiggers. But because the chiggers are not present in the skin, these methods are not effective.

Treatment for chigger bites is directed toward relieving the itching and inflammation. Calamine lotion and corticosteroid creams may be used to control itching. Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), may also be used for symptom relief.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
All about chiggers:
Chiggers (Bites) Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment by MedicineNet.com

Treatment:
Chiggers Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What are the symptoms of chigger bites on MedicineNet

All mosquito repellents (such as DEET), applied to skin and clothing, are effective at repelling chiggers.
Chiggers Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - How can chigger bites be prevented on MedicineNet

All about ticks:
Ticks: Bite Symptoms, Prevention, Tick Removal and Treatment of Tick-Related Illness by MedicineNet.com

Treatment and Removal of Ticks:
Ticks Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - How is a tick bite treated on MedicineNet

Lyme Disease
American Lyme Disease Foundation

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (tick-borne typhus fever)

I assume everyone knows not to use heat (cigarette, etc.) to remove ticks. It makes them vomit into ones blood stream just before them come off.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
I have lived in South Jersey for all of my 56 years and would not know chigger if it bit me on butt.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #14

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
This is from the web:

What is the treatment for chigger bites?

Many home remedies for chigger bites are based upon the incorrect belief that chiggers burrow into and remain in the skin. Nail polish, alcohol, and bleach have been applied to the bites to attempt to "suffocate" or kill the chiggers. But because the chiggers are not present in the skin, these methods are not effective.

Treatment for chigger bites is directed toward relieving the itching and inflammation. Calamine lotion and corticosteroid creams may be used to control itching. Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), may also be used for symptom relief.
Growing up in the Deep Piney Woods of East Texas....mother use to make us take a bath in pine oil when we came in from the woods.Killed all kinds of bugs,then after the bath ..if you had any itches you always use only Calamine lotion.

Not sure what was worse the bath or the pink spots.....lucky me I never had to have the pink spots,but my brothers and male cousins did,they hated it.

Happy Camping....Lynn
Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #15

Indiana
Joe, they like the front side better. lol
Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
All this chigger talk sure gives me second thoughts about leaving the West. Maybe I'll stay out this way indefniitely...ew!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #17

JenPB Said: All this chigger talk sure gives me second thoughts about leaving the West. Maybe I'll stay out this way indefniitely...ew!

I Said:
Yea but you got rattle snakes and scorpins.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Deet keeps them away. It does not work on rattlesnakes....

Norm
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Having walked through those same fields of grass near Altoona, PA, with Cindy L and not suffering any chigger bites, I think that some people are just more prone to attracting the little buggers. My wife says they don't like my taste. She also attracts more mosquitoes and gnats, too. She's just very attractive!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Wink

Good points, Darwin and Norm! I forgot to mention our mountain lions, too, though Deet, perfume, and scented antiperspirant tend to fend THEM off...

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
Closed Thread