Choosing A Tow Vehicle That Is Pet Friendly ? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Choosing A Tow Vehicle That Is Pet Friendly ?

Hi .... After selling our Casita & the Ford f-150 tow vehicle , we both agreed that the next trailer purchase(Oliver on Order) we would need a tow vehicle with enough muscle to handle at least 5,500 pounds but also would have enough space behind us so our 2 cats could roam freely, having room for a large kitty litter box, a feeding area for their water/food & possibly somewhere for me to take a time out to sleep if I get too tired to drive. The kicker was, we also wanted some comforts for ourselves(driver & Passenger) as well. After 6 month's of internet searching as well as attending RV shows looking at van type conversion vehicles we found our solution with the purchase of a 2013 Nissan 3500HD High Top Cargo Van. Buying the basic body style(no cargo windows) we were able to stay within our budget of keeping the total cost for tow vehicle including modifications under $43,000. This included the installing of custom windows on both sides, with running boards for easy entry for me(the driver) & my wife. With the cargo area to have 2 custom twin beds, base /over head custom cabinets and a captains chair behind the drivers seat. To see how the cats would behave and to leave the cold weather for awhile, we took a 6 week road trip to warmer parts south. On our way back home we stopped at the Oliver Plant. After taking the tour we were both so impressed we placed a order for a 2015 Oliver Elite II 23' 6''. Buying the Nissan was one of the better decisions I have made ... getting 14 mpg over the course of 4,200 miles of driving, while providing a very comfortable/stable ride even at 75 mph. Now the good part, the cats loved it. While they slept & did their thing behind us, we were able to enjoy the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01582.JPG   DSC01583.JPG  

DSC01585.JPG   DSC01586.JPG  

DSC01584.JPG   DSC01587.JPG  

Old 02-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #2

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Sounds like you've made the perfect choice!

We'd love to see photos of the interior setup in the van. And most definitely, will be waiting to view your new Oliver !

Old 02-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Once you have your Oliver, 2 things will happen. Your gas mileage will drop to maybe 10-12 mpg and you will no longer sleep in your truck but inside your new Oliver.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Sounds like you've made the perfect choice!

We'd love to see photos of the interior setup in the van. And most definitely, will be waiting to view your new Oliver !
Pictures now posted... Its been too cold here to wash or tidy up since we got back
Old 02-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Once you have your Oliver, 2 things will happen. Your gas mileage will drop to maybe 10-12 mpg and you will no longer sleep in your truck but inside your new Oliver.
We knew the gas mileage was going to go down, but considering what we wanted in a tow vehicle we are still very happy with our choice. As far as sleeping in the van, I will still get plenty of shut eye when I use it to take it on short trips without the Oliver.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Name: Scott
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Sport 17
TN
We had the same thoughts. We wanted something that was comfortable for us and our two dogs. We had the Sprinter before the Oliver, but like you we want to still be able to use the Sprinter for sleeping when needed. We especially like it if we want to get a nap while on a long drive where we just want to stop for a while. Even when pulling the trailer, if we're at a rest stop we like sleeping in the Sprinter so we can just get in the drivers seat and go if for some reason we get into an uncomfortable situation. It doesn't happen often, but we have gotten a knock on the door occasionally.

Our 2500 Sprinter is limited to 5000 lbs, so it works fine for our little Oliver.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #7

New York
I like the color. We decided to go with white to help keep it cooler in the summer months. Where did you get that window on your sliding door ? The installer who installed the windows in our Van said they could not find any cargo passenger windows that opened out or had a slider only on the drivers side. Even though both windows open out on the drivers side, the passenger side cargo windows are solid on our van. Wish our van had an open window on that side for cross ventilation. In the spring I am going to have to put some type of vent on the roof , which I do not really want to do.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

Name: Scott
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Sport 17
TN
The vent window is from CR Laurence. I took a quick look and it looks like for the 2013+ Nissan they only have fixed glass. They do have several options for generic use if you have a flat surface.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #9

New York
If I ever do it again, I would choose a sprinter next time. I really like the Nissan but because its only been out for a short time unlike the sprinter there are not many options available to customize with. I am 64 now, so this will probably be my last vehicle purchase while I am still able to drive. Ohhhh..... to be 18 again & still have the resources I have now at this time in my life.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbud View Post
We had the same thoughts. We wanted something that was comfortable for us and our two dogs. We had the Sprinter before the Oliver, but like you we want to still be able to use the Sprinter for sleeping when needed. We especially like it if we want to get a nap while on a long drive where we just want to stop for a while. Even when pulling the trailer, if we're at a rest stop we like sleeping in the Sprinter so we can just get in the drivers seat and go if for some reason we get into an uncomfortable situation. It doesn't happen often, but we have gotten a knock on the door occasionally.

Our 2500 Sprinter is limited to 5000 lbs, so it works fine for our little Oliver.

Whats nice about your tow vehicle is that its taller than your trailer, helping protect it against oncoming road debris & at the same time cuts down the wind resistance which greatly helps increase your gas mileage while keeping your trailer towing smoothly down the road.