Chronicals of an Official Workamper... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckH
Talking

Congratulations Gina! Good stories so far! Hope they stay that way!!! I registered with Workamper and KOA program and plan to start next year. Great experience for your resume!! Are you gonna make Lake Casitas??
Regards, Chuck

Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
The fog horn sounds (Excuse the pun) like a very good idea! I have the panic button for my car too. 99.9% of the time I will not be alone back there. This was actually unusual. I have stayed over on Sundays before and there is usually a couple folks there.

Chuck, Workamper is a good resource. Go to the job fairs. I went to the one in Mesa this year, and despite my first tellin the employers I was NOT ready to take a position yet, I was only on a fact finding mission, I was still offered two gigs. One for KOA, but I bet they put you on a list just to have a pool.

I am going to do my best to do Casitas. If for nothing else, my Barbecue misses you!

Liz, come up anytime! You gots the #.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
I looked at the pictures of Heartbar in the link you provided, and can see why it's been a favorite place of yours!!
Is it common practice to remove leftover firewood after campers check-out???
Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #18

West Coast USA
Registry
There it is due to the extreme fire danger here. Folks bring in "Junk" wood (whole pallets, Painted building materials, their yard debris etc) that looks messy in the sites, catches fire easily and it helps discourage the bon fire crowd.

The danger is very slight, but it is there. Personally, I am surprised they allow fires at all, but it's the "Jaws" syndrome. Most folks insist on one, and if they couldn't have one.. they won't come.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Makes sense. I hadn't been thinking of the human penchant for large conflagrations.
Things have greened up enough around here that they've finally lifted the burn ban, but I sure hope folks behave themselves this weekend.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #20

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Gina, Welcome to the world of camp-host. Sounds like a prety cushy job whwere your at with all the full hook ups and all.
I have non but then again I do get paid a fee and if I ever find the propane leak on the Boler I think I will actually turn a profit.
Funny how what use to be the best weekend for camping all of a sudden turns into the "hardest" weekends for camping, once one becomes a host.
So things will slow down where you are, after the 4th?
I got my schedual for all of July and we are almost 100% full for the month.
How many sites does your camp have?
I got 47 with 14 SST's (sweet smelling toilets) out-houses to clean and keep stocked with supplies.
Again the weather has been Rain but as long as it comes (and I find myself hopeing for it) around 10:00pm right at quiet time, so the rowdies will all go to bed) It's OK.
The enforcement of the Quiet time rule is the hardest and when and if your dealing with an boozed up gal...it's the worst.
Again welcome and looking forward to some of your adventures or MIS- adventures as host.
Gerry
PS. HMMMM do you think we will go camping on our vacations???

Old 07-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #21

West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Gerry!

It's 96 sites with 4 4 holers and 1 2 holer. I don't really have to do anything with them except sweep the floors and if the seats get yucky, wipe them down. If it's REALLY yucky.. the hose comes out and they get doused. The full time hosts take care of the chemicals and repairs if needed.

Rarely is the place full. Only 1/2 of it is reservable, and most times, as you have figured out, about 25% of those are no shows. About 1/3 is RVs, so the toilet use is limited to the tenters.

I have no hook ups. The water is easy, I just have to use my tank and pump...the full time hosts (There are 2 paid full timers) have sewer, so I can take the Blue Boy and dump in their dump spot. OR I can dump in the vault, but I don't like the lift. I have 60 watts of my own solar, and they have a 50 watt panel and controller they give to you to use for the season, so I have 110 total, plenty enough for me. I also have a 1k watt generator that needs some carb work.. I may take it in, but I leave 20 watts out during the week when I am not using the rig.. that seems to keep me topped off nicely for my return.

They provide propane, I just have to remove the tank and set it out for the guy that collects them and fills.. he returns them.

Having stayed in this camp on weekends throughout the season, I can tell you that it only fills up on holidays.. the 4th being the biggest.

I obviously am not doing this for the money.. it's a foot in the door for future full timing. It gives me experience, even if it is a small one.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #22

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I'm sooo jealous...I can see myself doing what you're doing in a few years. Till then, I'm taking care of my Mom and saving my pennies and spending my dollars.

ConwayBob
Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #23

West Coast USA
Registry
oh, how I love holidays... LOL.

This place is packed with individuals, and every kind of group imaginable. All sites were full by noon yesterday.. so much for staying home to save gas.

There is a "Mens and boys" camping group.. they are all dressed in cammo and are grunting.. possibly they will watch 3 stooges videos later.. I dunno..

3 church groups of all different nationalities, and a large klan of Iranians and thier two parrots next to me.. 3 toy haulers across (I love toy haulers.. they never use the bathrooms) 2 restored vintage Shasta trailers.. a guy with an Aliner and a Jeep.. and every time he takes off, he takes the Aliner with him (weird)

The dogs have learned to ride in the kennel in the golf cart and enjoy it and I have learned I have no patience with stupidity.

1 group firing off pellets guns was threatened with the sheriff, and one guy with a whole tree sicking out his fire pit I made douse out. Other than that.. the typical speeders, and showerers in the water spigots. No loose dogs tho.

I have learned that if I didn't bring even a crumb with me, I will be fed. Everyone wants to give you a burger, or chicken or some other extra they made. The Iranians gave me some middle eastern lemon chicken and a sesame bread that was delightful.

The overflow is overflowing and the host is allowing tenters to set up in the larger open areas.. they just can't have a fire.

I am now just sitting in the Burro listening for fireworks.. a strict no no here. So far, everyone is behaving on that level.

I can't wait to be able to shower and go to bed!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #24

West Coast USA
Registry
oh boy.. now I smell sparklers.. time to go!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #25

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
Not as quiet as last weekend Gina?? Burn a valve on the Rodeo going home on the 38...got a rebuilt set of heads on ebay ..will get them on next weekend and prob come visit you again in about 3 weeks.....watch out for them bears...fresh trout for dinner next time too I promise. Jim & Joyce

Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 AM   #26

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by Gina D.
possibly they will watch 3 stooges videos later...
You left too early the other night!

Pat
Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Gina, My Dh LOVED being fed by all the guest, Someone was always inviteing him to breakfast! I so hate cooking that early! If I couldn't find him, I would just look for the golf cart in front of someones rig........... He would be in eating..... Robin
Old 07-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #28

West Coast USA
Registry
I had the biggest steak I have ever seen for dinner tonite! LOL. There is enough left over for two more meals.

I earned it today tho. Once again, the campground has emptied out, but doing all the bathrooms today was REAL fun. It makes you wonder what folks homes look like. How does one , er, mess, on the BACK of a toilet seat?????

I can do that, I won't do the puke. I told her that when I started, so the host had to do 2 herself today.

She told me if I could live through the 4th, the rest is a walk in the park.

Dogs have a system now. They get two flat blue ice thingies on the bottom of thier kennel, and a foil windshield shade on top. Cover the ice with a thin carpet.. they have air conditioning when riding in the cart with me.

There is a lone coyote wandering near me, no doubt waiting for the beagle snacks to come out and play. He is rather bold. These are animals that live in the wilderness and are not exposed to man made things often, except the campground and the dumpsters. Kinda neat to see them. Except when they are smacking their lips at my dogs.

James, sorry about your engine.. and yes, come on back up! I like fishies for dinner!