Chronicals of an Official Workamper... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Enjoying the camp host stories...
Keep them coming..
Gina--you are coming to Oregon aren't you???

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #30

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
No.. sigh.. not this year.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Thumbs up

I'll have to check it out there....my family is from SanBernardino. We head out there a few times a yr. Is it hard to find?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #32

West Coast USA
Registry
No, not at all. It is straight (Well.. not STRAIGHT LOL) up hiway 38 at about the 6900 foot level. No side roads to take. Google maps will show you.

I am afraid the grossest cleanup I will do there awaits me in my own trailer. I cleared out the fridge yesterday morning, as usual.. put everything in a plastic bag to transport to my home fridge.. as usual.. but wait! I forgot the uncooked hangaburger patty in the freezer.

I turn the propane off when I leave, and bring blue ice back for friday nite along with already cold Dr Pepper... It is supposed to be over 100 this week. Ugh!.

I hope the ziplock it's in does it's job well!

(It's an hour and 50 miles away.. I would rather clean it up than drive over to prevent)
Old 07-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #33

West Coast USA
Registry
7-12-08

I love it when it rains :-P

Much to my amazement, my chunk of raw cow flesh did not stink up the place. The ziplock did it's job, and all I had to do was close my eyes and quickly toss into the trash bag. Even tho I did not smell anything, the bag was bloated enough that I sprayed the freezer and fridge with bleach anyway in case some microbial terror eeked into the air.

In contrast to last weekend, which was constant running, this weekend is quiet, slow and clean. I haven't even had to add a toilet paper roll to any of the pits, nor have I had to yell at anyone.

There is a large group of kindergarten aged children in the group site, and even they are quiet and polite. They did have great fun showing me the dental impression on thier roll of paper towels and wanted to know if it was the BIG HUGE bear they saw in their site last nite.

It WAS a bear bite, but judging from the size.. it was "Bearly" big enough to have been away from Mama very long. I think my dogs bite marks are bigger

It just dumped rain for about an hour, and I thought it a good time to watch the tenters run. It is really funny how at least one or two groups will shove everything in their car unfolded etc and run out at the slightest drop of rain. Well, this was a downpour, but it is stopped now.

Time to go outside and drive around and see if anyone had an emergency in the rain.. it happens.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
We almost rode the bike up today...but didn't know if it was raining or not....if its clear tomarrow we might make it up in the morning....watch out for them bears....
Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #35

West Coast USA
Registry
It dumped twice as hard again.. today would have not been a good day for a ride. If you come in the morning, be careful.. all is slick here!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
might wait until next weekend then..I forgot to tell you about the bike accident on our way down that weekend ..looked like a girl didnt make a turn on a brand new bike...just some scrapes it looked like...but we passed 3 parametics and a firetruck comming down

Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #37

West Coast USA
Registry
unfortunately, according to our local news here.. she didn't make it. This hiway and hiway 18 are bike killers. At least one a month.. we had 3 in one day last month, all unrelated. The coroner is a busy guy.

Last nite someone here was doing prep for burning man. I heard a minor radio thumping from inside my trailer.. thinking it was the folks next to me, I didn't do anything about it (I had asked them to turn it down earlier and they did.. thought it was residual.)

I fell asleep reading and was woken up by the thumping getting louder. I opened the door prepared to battle with the nieghbors again, only to find them coming MY way to complain about the music.. 4 sites down! I walked over and there was a couple with a boom box at full tilt.. dancing ritual dances around a much too large fire.

I was not polite, but they immediately shut the radio off and apologized profusely. Then they packed up and left.. very strange.

Today was easy.. all quiet as most the tenters were sent away by the constant showers. I even managed to go into Big Bear and do some shopping. Yay!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #38

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Now you are not only on the rosters of the workcampers, you are an experienced one to boot! Anyone considering you as a camp host doesn't have to worry about whether you would like it!

If one hangs around campgrounds long enough, even as a paying camper, one gets new perspectives, for sure.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #39

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
unfortunately, according to our local news here.. she didn't make it. This hiway and hiway 18 are bike killers. At least one a month.. we had 3 in one day last month, all unrelated. The coroner is a busy guy.

Last nite someone here was doing prep for burning man. I heard a minor radio thumping from inside my trailer.. thinking it was the folks next to me, I didn't do anything about it (I had asked them to turn it down earlier and they did.. thought it was residual.)

I fell asleep reading and was woken up by the thumping getting louder. I opened the door prepared to battle with the nieghbors again, only to find them coming MY way to complain about the music.. 4 sites down! I walked over and there was a couple with a boom box at full tilt.. dancing ritual dances around a much too large fire.

I was not polite, but they immediately shut the radio off and apologized profusely. Then they packed up and left.. very strange.

Today was easy.. all quiet as most the tenters were sent away by the constant showers. I even managed to go into Big Bear and do some shopping. Yay!
Gina I am really enjoying your report/diary/chronicle!
Keep having fun!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #40

West Coast USA
Registry
This weekend was worse for behavior than the 4th was.

I had:

3 generations of family members celebrating someones 21st.. noise noise noise, complaints complaints, complaints.. and someone forgot to lift the lid.. I am disgusted at having to clean it up.. but I have a hose with a power nozzle.. and THEY had to walk back to their camp.. in the dark.. with a posterior that is heavily soiled.. so I snicker at that a bit.

A group that thought it was appropriate to toss a chain of firecrackers in their fire.. they didn't understand what I was so upset about and why I wanted what they had left handed over. The Sheriff came through to verify we got it all.

A young man that couldn't get his wood to burn, it was wet and just smoked.. so much that a firewatch tower on the OTHER side of the range spotted it and sent out a firetruck (Your tax dollars wasted) I had tried to advise him, but he just didn't get it..

He was not near were I could see directly and they came during my "off" time. They didn't stop to talk to me, or I could have told them what was going on..here is the "Alert" transcript.. read from bottom up

Quote:
07:05 PM
Sun 7/20

Comm Ctr, Brush 15 is back in quarters
06:37 PM
Sun 7/20
To 17 Bat 12
cancel and return; County Engine 15 has checked the area; only clouds in the area; no smoke showing.
06:36 PM
Sun 7/20

I copy; we'll cancel.
06:36 PM
Sun 7/20
To :Comm Ctr
Clouds hanging in the high country; nothing on the ground; nothing visible but high clouds.
06:32 PM
Sun 7/20

Comm. Ctr., Brush 15 in the area, checking
06:14 PM
Sun 7/20
To :Brush 15
Heart Bar Campground, smoke in the area south side of Highway 38; possibly inside the campground
06:12 PM
Sun 7/20

checking with County to see where it is
06:12 PM
Sun 7/20

checking Heart Bar Campground
06:11 PM
Sun 7/20

report of smoke on south side of SR38 near the Heart Bar Campground
A new motorhome owner couldn't get backed up to save his life and ripped out 2 posts and punched a whole in his thankfully empty black tank.

A host that got a back injury, so I had to do everything, security, firewood delivery etc..

BUT.. 3 good things happened..

next to me was yet another multi generation family. All retired Air Force. They were polite, respectful and they were actually taking their children on hikes and teaching them to respect nature. It reminded me of my outings with my Dad in Oregon. We always had fun, but we were taught to respect things, and learned about the environment first. It was nice to watch. They had a beagle with em too! LOL.

2nd thing.. I am a "Volunteer", but I was given a large stipend I did not expect for doing a good job. I appreciated it, and it was totally unexpected.

3rd thing.. a woman made me a true gourmet meal, chicken parmesian, from scratch, with linguine and all the stinky cheese I could eat.. she did so as appreciation for all the volunteer work we do so SHE can have a nice place to camp on her own.

The world is not all bad, or unappreciative.

It dumped rain and thunder and lightning again.. so at 7 am sunday, when it hit, the tents got stuffed and everyone ran away.. I was surprised to learn that folks often just leave their gear.. tents and all. Mostly folks that got it new just for this trip and decide after one rain experience that camping is not for them and they don't care.. they leave it, never wanting it back.

This time it was a young family that left everything but their sleeping bags.. the left tent, air mattresses, stove, lantern, fuel.. you name it. The new boxes for the stuff were by the dumpsters. Nice coleman tent too.

The host holds it for 2 days, we scrape of the stuff we want and donate the rest to the youth camps in the area.

I am learning a lot about humanity..
Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #41

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
You are making it apparent that not all is glamorous as a camp host, but there are some interesting perks. Not to mention the clean, cool mountain air, the smell of the pines, and the peacefulness just a short walk away (and often even in the camp). That's why we enjoy HeartBar also!

Since it looks like the sloppy, wet stuff from the sky may not materialize this week-end, we are planning a HeartBar visit. Anyone else we know planning to be there?

Ann is sitting with some of the grandkids on Friday morning, so we'll probably leave home about mid-afternoon.
See you there around dinnertime!

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #42

West Coast USA
Registry
Fred and Robert said they were coming up tomorrow.