Chronicals of an Official Workamper... - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #57

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
This past weekend was one full of "First Timers". We had lots of large groups of folks that were tenting for the first time.. just to try because a traditional vacation is too expensive these days.

Can't say all were happy about it. Some were confused and complained about "The Noisy Dogs Howling" at nite (We have 2 or more coyote packs in the park) and others were truly, dreadfully and overly concerned about the bears and the snakes. We see rattlers there on occasion, but I personally have never seen one, and the bears are.. well, bears. We have signs up warning about them, and it scared the newbies.

No one knew how to use the vault toilets. Many had never seen one and were confused about the lack of water and "Where do we wash our hands?" I saw one girl go into one with a full bag of showering supplies, only to emerge moments later scowling.

The newbies were so prevelant and noisy, that we just gave up. 2 women cannot police a 94 site CG all nite.

I did manage to get away on sunday and go up a Jeep Trail WAY above the meadow and was in awe of the view. I was just inside the wilderness area where I am told there is a grove of Aspens as big as anything in Sequoia. I started down the trail to it on foot, but my old girl was having trouble with the heat and walking on the rocky path, so I turned back, carrying her part way. sigh.

Next weekend will be heck, and I wanted to go do something in silence before it hit.

I am used to the messes now, and pretty much take it all in stride. I can do my duties in quick time now... just about in time for the season to close at the end of next month.

The stars have been spectacular tho.. I have made fires and sat out by them almost every nite this month, watching the sky.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #58

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
The stars have been spectacular tho.. I have made fires and sat out by them almost every nite this month, watching the sky.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #59

West Coast USA
Registry
Pleasant surprises!

This weekend was supposed to be filled with holiday rowdies and 3 day weekend unpleasantness. Much to everyones relief, the median age for the full campground was my age or older (Ancient, in other words) and we had only one problem group that left on Saturday. There were no messes to deal with and all was fairly easy.

Today we closed down one loop for the season, as this place will be deserted from now til closing. I also gave 1/2 of each 4 holer it's year end hosing and special treatment and shut them down for the year. This consists of a special chemical sprayed on the floors, walls and throne, removing all the paper and hosing the place out, including the ceilings, and "floating the vault... which means washing everything down into the main tank so the pumpers can come suck it all out from the sewer access outside. Not a lot different than dumping your black tank, just on a grander scale.

Poop is my life

From here on out, my workload is reduced by 2/3rds and I can start to enjoy my weekends camping instead of running. I am looking forward to next weekend.. provided I am not trapped in my trailer
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #60

West Coast USA
Registry
Haven't reported in a bit.. because there isn't much to report.

The campground has been very quiet after the holiday.. wild animals aside, and the workload has dropped to almost nothing. I do "patrol" every couple of hours just to keep busy. Not much to patrol, but I go over to the closed loop and let the pups run free for a bit.. plus it's the only guarantee of not being bothered one way or another by a camper.

The campers now are mostly RVs (No toilet use! Yay!) with retired or nearly retired empty nesters and just a few tents. One loop was shut down the first of the month, and we are slowly taking down the signs and doing shut down prep for next weekend, the last weekend of the season.

Due to work travel and obligation, I am not hosting this weekend. It's seems weird to be home. Next weekend, I will be comping out my travel days for this week and will be staying at the CG for 4 days, bringing my rig home on Tuesday the 30th.

I expect that Monday and Tuesday will be no work in the CG days, and I can enjoy "Camping, at least for a bit, without the alarm going off or worrying about my footprint on the CG. We will shut it down accept for 1 loop on Sunday, but I have a whole summer of muck to clean up in the Burro.. after living in it for 4 months part time.

It will be nice to do a "proper" dump.. I have not felt compelled to do anymore than a minimal rinse on the black after I fill the tote with the other contents. I will take the trailer up front where the full time host has running water and a sewer hook up.. clean clean clean.

It will be interesting to see how my awning stows.. it has been fully or partially deployed the entire time. I will be even more interesting to see if I remember how to get the trailer in my driveway!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #61

West Coast USA
Registry
Almost sad...

Ever walk through a closed campground? You see blank noteboards..no signs reminding you of bears, snakes, or the stupid "Leash your dog" pink one with the dog on a leash whose head looks like it was traced from a shadow puppet? It's kinda sad and weird, isn't it?

I took all those goofy signs down today.

No dumpster or trash cans.. they took those away today too. I closed down all the bathrooms, (Except for 1 lonely stall.. my black tank is full and since it's just me for 2 more days.. I can live with it LOL!) All the hoses are removed and drained to prevent winter damage.. and theft. The rest of the unsavory cleaning and winter prep is done, and all the doors locked.

The sites are not raked.. why bother?.. the snow will just ruin them again, but the trash is picked up, and the tables cleared.

The dogs no longer need to ride in the kennel in the back of the golfcart, they can ride on the seat with me.. there are no other dogs here to distract them.

The full time host has spent 3 days.. and two flatbed trailers full, trying to clear out her things, and it still hasn't put a dent into it. Mine will take my usual hour or so, if I am leisurely.. I lived here as I would any other camping trip, not bringing the kitchen sink.. and not missing it, and all I have to do is pack what little there is into the spaces already well established for them.

I will strip all the curtains and bedding, and "Hose" out the inside while I am here. Its amazing how gunky a rig can get when you are living in it.. be it full or part time, and you have little time to attend to it because you are cleaning up after everyone else. When I pull out, I will take the Burro up front and use the full dump and give it it's first thorough hose out all summer. It will be ready to back into my driveway and forget about "Until the next trip"

I am officially "Off" and done for the season, taking tomorrow and Tuesday as camping days for myself. It will be nice to sleep in in the morning!

We have 3 paying guests left tonight, but the gates will close here when the last camper leaves tomorrow. Outside of me and the full time host, and a couple of her friends that came up to help her move...

After we clear out...

The wind will take over the campground patrol until next year.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #62

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
sniff, sniff.... the campground is going to be lonely....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #63

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I'll miss the mountain.

It's getting time to desert camp...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #64

West Coast USA
Registry
It was hard to leave today. After two days of no working (mostly :-p) and being able to sit back and enjoy a campfire with no generators or anyone elses conversations around me, it was like.. well, camping again.. LOL!

I worked my U No Wot off today cleaning my rig and prepping to hitch up. The burro hasn't moved since June. I wasn't sure I remembered my routine

All went well and Burro is spiffy on the inside. (I even washed it on the way home.)

The full time host hugged and cried when I left making sure she had all my info and insisting I come back next year (Not sure THAT is going to happen) I got a cash "Bonus" .. which helps, and I also got a very nice certificate from the concessionaire, so now I have official paper saying I have workamping experience. That was the whole point of this excercise and crazy summer.

I felt bad, as the host is up there all alone now, and she is handicapped and still has a lot left to do. Her friends got sick and left this morning. The campground is closed, and everything is shut down and nothing more need be done but lock the gates and head out.

Burro is back in my driveway, and my nieghbor watched me park it and asked "Another new trailer?????"
"No, I just washed it"
"Boy, it sure looks different!"

and I didn't even do a good job! Just power hosed it down a bit.

I am all ready to pull out again for a camping trip, but not for a few weeks, I think.

The end.