Clam or Gazelle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #41

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Gazelle.

I can only say we saved a bit of money and are satisfied w our Gazelle. Bags easily and the bag fits nicely into the bed of our long bed Frontier truck. FWIW
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:34 AM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
The new Clam design has the flaps already attached. Which helps with the rain coming into the somewhat slanted sides. None are water proof but are water resistant. None are tents but are screen rooms. Helps with dreary,damp, rainy weather but if there is torrential down pours, you probably would not want to be in one.. We have the older style and love it. Never been in one when there is a heavy-heavy rain, that why we have a camper. The newer ones are heavier and longer to store. However they do have newer smaller ones to. Good luck . Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #43

Name: Antoine
Trailer: Shopping around
Quebec
I've looked at the pictures of both shelters and noticed that the Gazelle has velcros at the top of the rain flaps, but not the Clam. The polyester used is the same.

I'm pretty sure the Gazelle seems a better deal for the price. Now I have to think if that extra $120 for attached flaps is worth it.
ToNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have the Clam and ALL panels (to which we would NOT be without as we have 100% privacy when it's wanted). BUT, ours does not have the rain flaps at the top.

Now, after reading a previous post, we have not used ours out in the rain so if rain is going to come THROUGH the material rather easily as they described, then the flaps are not going to make alot of difference.

We keep our toaster oven, coffee maker etc in our Clam so I will definitely be more conscientious of the "leaking" possibility and avoid rain if at all possible!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #45
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
We’ve used our Clam for a couple years and absolutely love it. It’s set up over the picnic table which becomes my outdoor kitchen. No complaints here.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #46

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Do you need the flaps for privacy or rain shedding? For either model, the aftermarket flaps are only attached in the top corners, maybe with some patches of Velcro. They will allow water to run over the roof, but inside the flaps and through the screening. Only the permanently attached flap model will shed water over the flaps. Am I making sense...?
Anachron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #47

Name: Antoine
Trailer: Shopping around
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachron View Post
Do you need the flaps for privacy or rain shedding? For either model, the aftermarket flaps are only attached in the top corners, maybe with some patches of Velcro. They will allow water to run over the roof, but inside the flaps and through the screening. Only the permanently attached flap model will shed water over the flaps. Am I making sense...?
Thank you for the update. I took the time to look at the Clam and there are built-in roof flaps that detour rain water over the wind panels on the outside (brown/camo only). The other colors of their regulat shelter is the same as the Gazelle.

The XL model has those flaps too.
ToNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #48
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNIX View Post
Thank you for the update. I took the time to look at the Clam and there are built-in roof flaps that detour rain water over the wind panels on the outside (brown/camo only). The other colors of their regulat shelter is the same as the Gazelle.

The XL model has those flaps too.
We have the Gazelle w/flaps. We were caught by a wicked pop up T-Storm last month w/ 40 mph gusts. The tent was lashed down and flaps in place. Result was minimal rain. What we did notice was the area where the two poles are at the tent entrance were worn thru due to the rubbing on concrete during the storm. We re- enforced those two pole pockets and we are good to go. Good purchase.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote

« VIXEN 21 | Casita »