Clam or Gazelle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Clam or Gazelle

We are looking to add a screen room to our camping equipment. We have seen quite a few Clams and quite a few Gazelles in use at several rallies. How do you campers that have actually owned one or the other feel about your particular style of screen room?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We own the 12' Clam and it's like a "den" for us! We now move all our toaster oven, coffee pot, etc in there and live when we're not in the Scamp getting ready for bed or sleeping.

ONE PIECE OF ADVICE!:
Which ever brand, get the version with the "rain" deflectors built in! They're flaps that are made onto the canopy at the top of the screens that laps over the wind panels when they're installed. If you dont rain will pour in at the tops of the screens windpanels. Since the screen walls lean inward? Yeah...

We would NOT be without our Clam now with the 13'er Scamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
We are looking to add a screen room to our camping equipment. We have seen quite a few Clams and quite a few Gazelles in use at several rallies. How do you campers that have actually owned one or the other feel about your particular style of screen room?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
We own the 12' Clam and it's like a "den" for us! We now move all our toaster oven, coffee pot, etc in there and live when we're not in the Scamp getting ready for bed or sleeping.

ONE PIECE OF ADVICE!:
Which ever brand, get the version with the "rain" deflectors built in! They're flaps that are made onto the canopy at the top of the screens that laps over the wind panels when they're installed. If you dont rain will pour in at the tops of the screens windpanels. Since the screen walls lean inward? Yeah...

We would NOT be without our Clam now with the 13'er Scamp.

How can you tell which ones are the versions with built in rain deflectors? The product descriptions don't mention anything about rain deflectors. Is that just your descriptive name for them? If so it does not help find out which one have that ability and which ones don't. Giving product numbers is more useful.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We have the octagon 6 side Clam with the rain/wind shields sold as and addon, but have never used the shields. We did not order the awning on our Casita and so far we think we made a good choice with the Clam. We got our Clam from https://www.landmsupply.com/departme...kl4aAjOR8P8HAQ

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #5

Some appreciate what info they can get. I will provide a link and others will just have to do the research for info on the ones designed for - or not for- rain usage.

CLAM Portable Gazebo | Canopy Tent | Screen Popup Tent
Mine is the Escape- Green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
How can you tell which ones are the versions with built in rain deflectors? The product descriptions don't mention anything about rain deflectors. Is that just your descriptive name for them? If so it does not help find out which one have that ability and which ones don't. Giving product numbers is more useful.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

That's the one I have. We use the panels at night for privacy when we sit out. But again, this one- though it says the top is "water resistant roof"- will let the rain in with the panels. People just need to know that. Unfortunately, the others are considerably more expensive. But then again, the panels are extra with this Clam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
We have the octagon 6 side Clam with the rain/wind shields sold as and addon, but have never used the shields. We did not order the awning on our Casita and so far we think we made a good choice with the Clam. We got our Clam from https://www.landmsupply.com/departme...kl4aAjOR8P8HAQ

trainman
Old 04-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
getting the right keywords do matter a lot when you are looking for things online.

In this case you need to make sure the "rain fly" is included with the canopy.

Some places call it rainfly...as one single word but in this case the Clam company uses it as a two word phrase.

So if you want to find it do not go searching for a "rain guard" as you won't find that term in any of their product descriptions.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I had a clam quick set escape. I sold it and bought a five sided gazelle instead. Both seem fine, but I wanted a lighter, smaller one. Just keep in mind that they are better on cool days than hot days, because the screen mesh is so fine it does cut down on air movement more than one might expect.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I had a clam quick set escape. I sold it and bought a five sided gazelle instead. Both seem fine, but I wanted a lighter, smaller one. Just keep in mind that they are better on cool days than hot days, because the screen mesh is so fine it does cut down on air movement more than one might expect.
Mike do you find much difference in the setup or takedown between the two? Also I noticed the Gazelle is slightly less expensive. Is that because of inferior construction or materials or just name brand?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #10

I haven't had a chance to use the Gazelle much yet; I got it too late last year for camping opportunities. It should get more of a workout this summer. Construction appears to be about the same, as far as I've noticed.

Setup of the Gazelle is a little easier simply because it's close to 10 lbs lighter, with one exception: the top takes twice as much push to pop up. Not sure if it's just mine, or all Gazelles, but I had to stand on the edge of the bottom fabric while pushing up or the whole thing would go up in the air without popping upward. Very tight. I guess that means it's not going to come back down by accident in the wind!
Old 04-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #11

Texas
This will show different Clam shelters, most I have seen and what I have are the basic model in green for the price I put in another post above. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=clam+shel...l_95yb27yeae_p

trainman
Old 04-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:

Hi Steve! We bought our Clam in 2016 and love it! I prefer cooking outside so it's and extension of our Snoozy. We didn't buy the extra panels as it would get too warm as the screen really does keep out the 'no seeums' so the air flow is decreased as well. Fits perfectly in the Snoozy while traveling as well. Bought ours from Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
5 Sided Clam

We bought a 5 sided Gazelle last cyber week, the 6 sided Clam or Gazelle seemed too big and the 4 sided Clam too small. I noted the local farm store had a 5 sided Clam for $200 in their flyer this week, that was new to me. Haven't used either one, but they look to be about the same quality.
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #14

Registry
How about a specific question? In Quartzsite in February I talked with a gentleman as he was putting up his Clam. He said putting it up if almost as easy as the company claims. However he also said taking it down is an absolute pain in the butt. Is this a pretty common assessment amongst you folks who own either a Clam or a Gazelle?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #15
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
How about a specific question? In Quartzsite in February I talked with a gentleman as he was putting up his Clam. He said putting it up if almost as easy as the company claims. However he also said taking it down is an absolute pain in the butt. Is this a pretty common assessment amongst you folks who own either a Clam or a Gazelle?

Our Clam goes down as easy as it goes up! I put it up and take it down myself while my husband does other things when we break camp. It's just as easy as the YouTube video shows it is.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We have both the Clam with built-in panels and a 5-sided Gazelle. We purchased the Clam a year before the Gazelle. The Clam is a monster to haul, so it only goes to the "Family Campout". Otherwise we take the Gazelle, since it's all Terry and I need, and takes up much less space in the bed of the pickup.

Both go up just as easy. The Gazelle is water resistant and after a half hour rain drips on you. However, we sprayed 3M waterproofing on the top and no more drips.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Clam or Gazelle

Quote:
...he also said taking it down is an absolute pain in the butt...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Our Clam goes down as easy as it goes up!
I wonder who read and followed the instructions?...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #18

Texas
Quote:
It's very easy to take down, but folding it up correctly you need to pay attention to the way it goes. Just remember the top goes to the ground and the sides all go up, sometimes it takes two to hold everything together until you get the tie straps on. Watch the Clam video several times on how it's done and pay attention to details. http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/quick...reen-tent.html

trainman
Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #19

I've put it up AND taken it down alone...but it's MUCH easier having someone to help take it down!! As someone already mentioned, I hold it while the wife "hands" me the segments. I then "bear hug" it and she holds the bag for me to set it in. Both of us work the zipper up the bag.

But the bright side is, I put my "tarp" floor, all the panels, stakes and even some swim noodles (to place on the stake ties) all in ONE bag.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #20

My only trouble taking down the 6 sided Clam was when I forgot to undo the velcro on the doorway supports... now why won't this *%^# thing collapse!? LOL.

« VIXEN 21 | Casita »