Clamming and Crabbing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Clamming and Crabbing

I do most of my camping at the beach - ocean or gulf. I like to surf fish, but that is more an excuse to be out in the sun and drink a couple of beers.

I'm heading back to the Outer Banks sometimes next month and thought I would try clamming and crabbing. Seems like it would be a nice way to spend a couple of hours and catch dinner at the same time. A clam rake and crab trap don't take up much room, so I think it would be a nice addition.

I've never clammed before and only caught crabs a couple of times when I lived at the beach for a few months. This was in a canal next to the house I was living in. My neighbors had a trap they let me use whenever I wanted.

So tell me about your clamming and crabbing experiences. What equipment do you recommend? Is there a good tool for measuring both clams and crabs? What do you use for crab bait? Do you use a net or a trap (crabs)? Do you use a rake with a basket built in?

Do you know any good spots to crab or clam on the Outer Banks? I'm thinking of spending about half my time at Ocracoke and then moving to either Frisco or Oregon Inlet.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Huck, my wife is from Tangier Island, VA. As you probably know, it's in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. She comes from a long line of watermen. Her brothers use crab pots and dredge for oysters on a commercial basis, so probably can't answer your specific questions. I have accompanied her brothers crab potting many times and we always used menhaden (sp?) for bait, but any cheap fish would work. The commercial waterman can run a couple hundred crab pots. We would be on the water at 4 AM and work until late in the day. Rewards can be good or bad depending on the market, but there are always enough to feast on for the workers and their families. Blue crabs, especially from the Chesapeake Bay cannot be beat.

Before I was married, I was stationed in New Jersey, and would comb the beaches for clams. We'd find them on the beach half buried in the sand right at the shoreline. We wore a cup of sauce on a string around our neck, to dip the clams in before we ate them. Nothing as fancy as a rake, just our hands and a knife was used. I wonder if they still do that? Like you said, half the fun is being out there.

Good luck and keep us posted with your methods and results. I read your post and she's jealous! We are planning to hit VA next summer.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
chicken leg on a string will catch crabs. Done all the time at Rocky Neck SP in CT
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I can't comment on how to catch Eastern crab. But make sure you check the regulations for both crabbing and clamming and get any necessary licenses and what you want is in open season. (Especially if you might want to plan the trip around it.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Is there a good tool for measuring both clams and crabs?
Danielson Crab & Clam Gauge works well - you can pick them up or one simular at most sporting goods stores near a coast. A basic plastic ruler will also do the trick.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've crabbed on Ocracoke. There is a road leading to the sound right behind the building at the ferry docks. A ranger recommended the spot. I don't believe you can drive it anymore without a beach permit but it's not a long walk. As I recall there is a 5" or bigger size limit. When you get your fishing license ask for the regulation sheet. It will be on there. Chicken neck or leg on a string and a crabbing net is all you need. The variety store will have both. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I've crabbed on Ocracoke. There is a road leading to the sound right behind the building at the ferry docks. A ranger recommended the spot. I don't believe you can drive it anymore without a beach permit but it's not a long walk. As I recall there is a 5" or bigger size limit. When you get your fishing license ask for the regulation sheet. It will be on there. Chicken neck or leg on a string and a crabbing net is all you need. The variety store will have both. Enjoy, Raz
I've already got the permit for driving on the beach. From what I have read, no license is needed for crabs or clams. I'm going to get a fishing license anyway so I can do some surf fishing.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote