Classic Scamp Failure - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Donna,
I think those plates are a reasonable addition. If they are now factory installs, it's something the factory should
check when customers visit the factory.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
My son derrek bought a 99 16 scamp in sept for his rental fleet. The PO had made many modifications including replacing the floor. Because of its size he had not rented it yet as the demand was for the smaller trailers in nov we went to visit him in LA . We took the scamp for its maiden voyage to San Diego it towed great . On the way back we had got about 2miles from his place when we noticed the trailer bounceing real bad and than a lot of sparks. We amediatly pulled off the highway when we looked under the trailer to our dismay the toung had completely separated from the frame it had broken off at that same weak spot it could of been a complete disaster in so many ways but we were lucky nothing happened. There was no way to move the trailer another inch . Fortunately derrek had roadside assistance as they had to flatbed it back to the lot. We put it up on blocks and surveyed the damage in the morning and discovered the PO had made it impossible to remove the frame when he replaced the floor so we would have to repair the frame on the trailer .iIt took three days of welding and drilling in new mending plates. The repair turned out very well and seems as strong as it ever can be . We took the trailer to the joshua tree the following weekend and everything was good you can see the trailer at happier camper .com it's called chief longfoot. My trillium and burro both have welded mending and bolted mending plates And seem very strong. If I was a scamp 16 owner of any age trailer. I would check that weak spot and have it braced before there is a total disaster On one of these trailers

Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This problem kinda surprises me. My trailer is older than yours Norm, and it has welded plates at the bend. Since I'm the third owner, I know it came from the factory that way. I was expecting the extra on the frame to be factory spec for years.. Guess not.

Safe travels, ALWAYS!

Donna do you have a photo of yours? I am wondering if its different than mine which I am pretty sure is factory. When the sun comes up I will take a picture of mine and post it. Curious if yours and Norm's are the same. Would think Norms would be done the same due to the age of ours trailers being the same.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Scamp 16 Carcked frame

Ours failed a few minutes after leaving a trailer park. Doing about 35 when it happened back in November. Pulled into a gas station real quick to take a look. Both sides cracked (see photo). It was scraping on the stairs so needless to say they are all bent and not usable. Luckily we were not on the highway yet. Note the battery pushing into the front of the Scamp. When the beam was straightened out the fiberglass popped back into place. Hopefully it didnít cause any permanent damage.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Are these frames box frames, in other words in the above picture one can see the corrosion inside the frame. Perhaps either drip holes are needed or as Donna pointed out, the frame should be air tight if properly welded. Either way the corrosion seems to be inside the frame?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Dave what year is your Scamp?
For clarification can you confirm that the beam running from the tongue to the rear was one continual piece and snapped in two? or was it two beams welded together with a L shape plate welded over them?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #21

Texas
Itís hard to tell in the photos but the frame is actually a C channel not a complete square. The rust is actually from the cracks. They were hidden by a welded on doubler. I am not sure if the doublers are factory or added by one of the previous owners. It cracked at the end on the doublers.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #22

Florida
Fourdee,

That's an interesting failure. On my trailer that " just after the reinforced section on my trailer., possibly another flex point.

Mine failed under the trailer where the tubing had been bent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Are these frames box frames, in other words in the above picture one can see the corrosion inside the frame. Perhaps either drip holes are needed or as Donna pointed out, the frame should be air tight if properly welded. Either way the corrosion seems to be inside the frame?
yes they are box frame (or at least on mine it is) and I noticed the same re the corrosion on the inside which is why I asked if it was one continues beam with an L shaped plate welded over it (to the side and bottom) to give it extra strength as mine is.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Fourdee,
There was a Casita that had this same failure, in the same frame place. The propane bottles were pushed into to front of the trailer like yours. It was in the Casita forum a number of years back.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #25

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dave what year is your Scamp?
For clarification can you confirm that the beam running from the tongue to the rear was one continual piece and snapped in two? or was it two beams welded together with a L shape plate welded over them?
It is a 1991 16' Scamp. I may be remembering the C channel wrong. Its been a few months and my memory isn't what it used to be.

I will need to check on the beams to see if they are continues or not.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #26

Florida
Scamp Frame Pictures

Here are two pictures of our broken frame. Both sides are similar except the otherside (doorside) it's cracked instead of broken thru.

Carol, My frame is reinforced with a welded on L section where the frame exits the fiberglass. It appears that Fourdee's break occurred right after the reinforcement.

Possibly another place to add stiffening to this natural flex/stress point.
Attached Thumbnails
20140122_133957.jpg   20140122_134648.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Being cracked so far back seems unusual for a failure point. Did your frame crack where a screw from the above floor deck screwed into the tube?
Your cracked frame location may be unusual due to your balence point keeping your toungue light enough for your Honda. Its an interesting failure and not an easy fix in its location. I am glad you made it safe and well for everyones sake.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #28

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Well, guess what I'm going to do this evening? Yep, I'm going to crawl under my trailer and give the frame a good once over. Glad this turned out the way it did. In the end the repair will just be another improvement.. I'm sure with the miles you guys put on a trailer, you're going to find any and all weak points!

2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp