Classic Scamp Failure - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #71

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Norm, With the multiple mods you have done to that Scamp, I can see why a replacement is not in the cards. Like you said, bringing it up to that level would be way more work then repairing the frame. Once properly repaired and reinforced, that frame will likely get many more laps around North America.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #72

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Norm
I cant see any thing wrong with welding your frame I have not found a trailer frame I could not fix that suffered from a stress break by welding in supports. That is if it is not all rusted out. Good luck, glad Ginny and you are all right!!!!
Jason

Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #73

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The rubber springs used on Scamp axles provide less give after years of use, (the rubber takes a set) and that may have contributed to more stress on the frame.
I have no idea how the cost of a frame repair and a new axle compares to a new 16er, and Minnesota is a long detour on the way to Newfoundland, but a new Scamp may not be a bad idea.
Good luck!
A whole new Scamp? Really Why? What are the differences between a 22 year old Scamp and new one that you are aware of other than a new frame and axle?

Replacing the full frame and axle due to age and fatigue are pretty common updates done by many here & the trailer does not need to go all the way back to Scamp to have it done. A completely change of a full frame and axle can and has been done many times for a *lot* less money than buying a new Scamp..

Not sure if you are aware but other than a change in the fabric used on the cushions Scamp isn't known to have changed much of anything over the last 22 years. Funny enough up until a couple of years ago Scamp was using interior and exterior photos taken 15 years ago or more on their website to promote their trailers - simple because nothing had changed in that time! Seriously LOL

As an owner of a Scamp that has had several additions and modifications and updates, done to it to make it more user/camping friendly & personlized to my needs, I sure wouldn't want to start all over again with the costs and time spent on those mods and additions simple because the trailer needs a new axle or frame.

If I was the OP and had such a frame failure on my own trailer which is about the same age and I know I had put 30,000 miles on it in recent years and planned to do the same again over the next 3 years, I think I would put a new frame and axle on it rather than repair. Pretty sure I would sleep better having done so. But thats just me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #74

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
I cannot say definitively but the frame rails I have seen are 1.5" x 3", 16 gauge (which is only 1/16" thick).
That sounded a little thin to me, so I went out and mic'd the frame tubing on my 2004 Scamp.
The tube OD is correct at 1.5"X3".
However..... The thickness is >5/32"measured in four different places.
That is 2-1/2 times as thick as the 1/16th(2/32") number quoted above.
I hope that helps ease some minds here.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #75

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Norm, I'd get the fish plates for now. Get you home to NH anyway.

jack
Old 01-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #76

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack,

I plan to have a number of areas welded, both large and small. Small things include the Propane mounting ring, the anti=sway bar ball mount, both presently screwed down.

As well as the frame fracture, I intend to add fishplates to the present reinforcement at the base of the A entering the trailer.

In addition to the primary failures some other welds failed as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #77
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That sounded a little thin to me, so I went out and mic'd the frame tubing on my 2004 Scamp.
The tube OD is correct at 1.5"X3".
However..... The thickness is >5/32"measured in four different places.
That is 2-1/2 times as thick as the 1/16th(2/32") number quoted above.
I hope that helps ease some minds here.
Thanks for measuring your frame Floyd. Sounds like the frames got thicker on later model years. As I said in my post I have measured a number of frames, I should have kept a record of the years but I suspect they were all mid 1970's model and most of them were Boler's.

The main point being the frames on most of our trailers were designed to be light weight and I am sure the manufacturer(s) did not intend them to last as long as our trailer have. We should all inspect the frame on a regular basis looking for any signs of cracking or bends.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #78

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13' 1977
California
Paul, Where did you live in Maine? I'm again looking at property there. __________________
Norm and Ginny

I was born in Portland, and raised in Southwest Harbor, on Mount Desert Island. I didn't realize it until I left for the military many decades ago, that that island really was one of the wonders of the world! It was, and to some extent still is, a different life. All good. As one of the popular bumper stickers says, "Maine, the way life should be!".

Are you looking for permanent residency or just becoming a snowbird? (Summer only and gone before snow flies!)

For a full time residence or vacation destination I would recommend far different criteria. I have been gone a long time (essentially since 1963) but have been back lots and still have many relatives and friends there. Strangely, there were almost 300 Mainiac Exiles here in Lompoc, PRK at one time! Still about 100+. Mostly ex military retirees.
Paul
Oh, scenic choices mean a lot too. Seashore, woods, privacy vs city access. It all gives different choices.
Born in MAINE, living in Exile (Lompoc, CA)
Old_Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #79

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jack,

I plan to have a number of areas welded, both large and small. Small things include the Propane mounting ring, the anti=sway bar ball mount, both presently screwed down.

As well as the frame fracture, I intend to add fishplates to the present reinforcement at the base of the A entering the trailer.

In addition to the primary failures some other welds failed as well.
Norm, I would expect that your trailer weight, tongue weight and overall weight distribution is going to change following your repairs. Would be interesting if you could check it out and report the changes back to the forum.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #80

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Romad View Post
Paul, Where did you live in Maine? I'm again looking at property there. __________________
Norm and Ginny

I was born in Portland, and raised in Southwest Harbor, on Mount Desert Island. I didn't realize it until I left for the military many decades ago, that that island really was one of the wonders of the world! It was, and to some extent still is, a different life. All good. As one of the popular bumper stickers says, "Maine, the way life should be!".

Are you looking for permanent residency or just becoming a snowbird? (Summer only and gone before snow flies!)

For a full time residence or vacation destination I would recommend far different criteria. I have been gone a long time (essentially since 1963) but have been back lots and still have many relatives and friends there. Strangely, there were almost 300 Mainiac Exiles here in Lompoc, PRK at one time! Still about 100+. Mostly ex military retirees.
Paul
Oh, scenic choices mean a lot too. Seashore, woods, privacy vs city access. It all gives different choices.
to take this thread a little further afield... If you are near Portland Maine, you must see the "Portland Pudgy" it is the coolest little boat I have ever seen and it is produced by a little company with the spirit which, like Scamp, produces a desirable product focused more on the customer than on corporate growth. Look Here....

Dimensions & Specifications | Portland Pudgy Proactive Lifeboat
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #81

Florida
Floyd,

I'll check it out on my next Portland trip. We've gone up (45 miles) to the wooden boat show there, really fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #82

Florida
Paul, I particularly like northern Maine, Washington county, partially because few people live there.

My goal is to find a place to Escape to......

Floyd, there's been a lot of good information in the thread and a few diversions make it interesting.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #83

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13' 1977
California
Washington County is great, if a little "backward" even for home! We were stationed at then Bucks Harbor AF Station ('68-70', '74-'78) before coming to the Peoples Demokratic Republik of Kalifornia. We lived in East Machias and Bucks Harbor (where there is the only almost totally Jasper rock covered beach, aptly named of course, Jasper Beach!) I have a background there even though I was raised in Hancock Co. My mother was from Milbridge in Washington County and is buried there. VERY laid back and "your business" IS your business! If I were to actually "hide', I would probably find property (probably much more cheaply) in Piscataquis or Penobscot Counties. WAY away from anything, but definataly OFF-GRID if you wanted. Otherwise Washington Co is about ideal. Maybe "upper" Hancock Co would be even better, but zero real towns there.

Paul
Born in MAINE, living in Exile (Lompoc, CA)
Old_Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #84

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I'm sure a good experienced welder can do a repair as "good as new" if not better. Getting it to a shop would be a challenge, how can it be towed? Or are you going to have a mobile welder come out to the site?

I would think it would even be a challenge to winch it onto a flat bed unless there was some way to support the frame.

Tags
scamp