Classification of scamp 13 in California - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Name: Curt
Trailer: scamp
Texas
Classification of scamp 13 in California

Hi folks-

So I just moved back to socal and trying to get my scamp registered has been a little difficult. I have it stored at a place for a really great deal ($50 a month) very close to my house but of course the catch is you have to give the guy a couple days notice to get it out. No problem except I am getting it registered using a vin verification service and the lady at DMV was such a dolt she could not even tell me the correct way to classify it when she turned the form down! If any of you have a registration or title with the classification and codes used on it that you are willing to share for a scamp 13 I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Texas
No one here lives in California?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Patience Curt. You posted during work hours. Someone should be along shortly... after dinner hour
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp View Post
Hi folks-

So I just moved back to socal and trying to get my scamp registered has been a little difficult. I have it stored at a place for a really great deal ($50 a month) very close to my house but of course the catch is you have to give the guy a couple days notice to get it out. No problem except I am getting it registered using a vin verification service and the lady at DMV was such a dolt she could not even tell me the correct way to classify it when she turned the form down! If any of you have a registration or title with the classification and codes used on it that you are willing to share for a scamp 13 I would appreciate it! Thanks!
I've only had to register two vehicles I bought with out of state plates. The DMV person came out to the parking lot and verified the number. I didn't use a service and don't know they would do that without having the vehicle or trailer for the eyeball verification. The Cal DMV will assign whatever code/classification is correct for Calif. That may be different than what the title says now. Welcome to the sunny state and our great DMVs .
Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Patience Curt. You posted during work hours. Someone should be along shortly... after dinner hour
I thought there would be a lot of retired people here...
thanks for the reality check!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I've only had to register two vehicles I bought with out of state plates. The DMV person came out to the parking lot and verified the number. I didn't use a service and don't know they would do that without having the vehicle or trailer for the eyeball verification. The Cal DMV will assign whatever code/classification is correct for Calif. That may be different than what the title says now. Welcome to the sunny state and our great DMVs .
DMV doesn't mind a verification service they just don't know how to fill the form out themselves most of the time and can't be bothered to find out when they are busy...if you get unlucky they just kick it back without a clue, which is what happened to me. The guy who did the verification is really nice I just don't want to have to go through this three times instead of twice so I am here doing some research. The price he charges is low, $25 and that keeps me from having to drag it out of storage just for the DMV.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
While we don't remember the details we had no trouble registering our 13' Scamp in 2011. Perhaps you might try applying with a different clerk or at a different DMV or ask for the supervisor. I agree with Dave, welcome to our California DMV.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
While we don't remember the details we had no trouble registering our 13' Scamp in 2011. Perhaps you might try applying with a different clerk or at a different DMV or ask for the supervisor. I agree with Dave, welcome to our California DMV.
So how was yours classified on the form and your registration?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sorry, I don't have the registration handy. The trailer is parked 1 hour from my home.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #10

My recently registed scamp 16 class code is CC, hope this help.

AC
Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 AM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by achang001 View Post
My recently registed scamp 16 class code is CC, hope this help.

AC
Thanks! I think smaller than 16 has a different class which is why it was rejected.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:12 AM   #12

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Registeration.. No Problem

You implied that it is towable so tow it on down to DMV after you make an appointment on line. It took me about a half hour and it was from an out of state seller and over nearly 2 years past the Ca state entry date. I had a good story!!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #13

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
I would use AAA
Great people and always with a friendly smile

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
AAA ?

I use AAA in Calif for just plain renewals of cars, truck, Scamp, motorcycles. But they couldn't help me if it was anything else : out of state reg, out of date, lost tags or reg. Some DMVs are less busy or more friendly, esp small town offices. Once a friend and I each bought brand new off road tent trailers that had sat in the dealer's storage for 15 years. They were a '$teal' but came with no papers of any kind. Or any visible numbers. They were commercially manufactured but the company was looong out of business. They fit no category, so couldn't be registered ! I went to a different DMV office and a nice lady walked out with a sticker with numbers on it, stuck it on, and I was on my way. ( It was for home made trailers !) So They CAN work around problems if they want to ! And be extra nice to the DMV people; they deal with mad customers all day and can be in a bad mood. You would be too ! But politeness gets you farther than anger !! Happy Trails ! David in Sonora and Fresno

Tags
scamp