Cloud Storage - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #29

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Does anyone have issue with Google acting as a free R&D lab for Asian phone manufacturers? They give away Android software to Samsung, HTC, etc. and we get to watch American phone companies fail one after another. Apple is pretty much the only American phone company making money using American software. Some say America has lost its edge in manufacturing, but Google is handing over America's lead in software for free. But we get really cheap toys so its worth it, right? Who cares about our children earning a living?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
From Google's vantage point if Android goes into the phone they get to sell ads.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #30

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
From Google's vantage point if Android goes into the phone they get to sell ads.

Is that America's future-- borrowing, consuming, making nothing?

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Inappropriate

Quote:
Does anyone have issue with Google acting as a free R&D lab for Asian phone manufacturers? They give away Android software to Samsung, HTC, etc. and we get to watch American phone companies fail one after another. Apple is pretty much the only American phone company making money using American software. Some say America has lost its edge in manufacturing, but Google is handing over America's lead in software for free. But we get really cheap toys so its worth it, right? Who cares about our children earning a living?

Reasonable question about future jobs.

Virtually every product Apple sells is not made in North America. Most of Apple's profit is shielded from US taxes in foreign countries.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jon, Definitely an impressive amount of storage. Well beyond anything like a storage commoner like me requires.
The majority of the data files are rehearsal & photo call images from productions back when I shot for theatre & opera productions. I also do quite a bit of volunteer photography for groups that have a bad habit of losing their copies of the images & coming back to me for replacements. I still get calls for the images, so I can't get rid of them. Keeping all of them in a Lightroom image organizer makes it fast & easy to find an individual image, however ends up requiring lots of storage.

My travel & landscape photos make up a small portion of the total, although with the full frame D800, the size of the image database is growing fast.

I'll agree that for most users the cloud has some advantages, however photographers tend to have large data files that they often access, making slow internet connections troublesome. I still feel more comfortable keeping a local copy of ALL my files...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #33

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Is that America's future-- borrowing, consuming, making nothing?

To answer a question with a question, what do you think robotics will do to our workforce?

What are we good at? I'm not sure if we do it good or well, but having money as input and money as output somehow works. Speaking of doing well by doing good....

Tags
cloud